some old corps photos

Gate Turns! I'm running backwards on the left side, next to me is Steve Greene who marched Renegades last year and was Blue Devils Drum Major in 1981.

The crowd went nuts for us at finals when the gates clicked to make the company front. During the victory concert after finals, part of the crowd was on the field and I was literally marching through a crowd of people. We finished our victory concert with people literally inches from the bell of our horns in the endzone. It was a bizarre experience. Finish the show, horns down, and people running up to shake your hand while your still on the field.

'82 BD prelims

BlueDevils6streamers.jpg

He did not enjoy being drum major. He hated getting up early, line the fields, and hanging out during ensemble rehearsals.

If he stayed with being DM, he would've been DM for 81, 82, 83, 84 seasons.

I marched next to Steve in the 82, 83, 84 shows. Needless to say, we got along great and scared the #### out of rookies by the time 84 rolled around. Steve was an excellent marcher and horn player and intense when it came to rehearsal time and pushing others to up their standards.

George, I wish I had some for you, but I don't. For some reason those did not come out right. The only Garfield picture I have is 1980 finals.

That's ok...thanks anyway....

:wub:

normal_1983%20Cavaliers.jpg

Cavies '83 rifle exchange

We tried that in 1981, with the contras throwing over the whole corps.....took that out wayyyy before finals..... :wub:

1981 Montreal prelims

Crossmen....I'm 2nd flag from the left #1 side...(guard not horn)

81MontrealPrelimsCrossmen18.jpg

Um, you wore capes in 81? I thought you wore those black and white pant thingies alone in 81?

The mind is bad. I cannot believe it, I don't remember any capes on your guard in 81.....

This is the end of the show, I'm on the end on the left side, back arch. 

This was a "victory" pose.  We only did this at prelims and finals.  You can't tell, but when our arms went up in "victory", the corps started counting with their left hand....1...2...3...4...5....

Some of the contras, if they couldn't hold the pose for long, would have help from the player next to them, helping hold up the horn.  It looks like the contra on the front side line (left side) is getting a little help.  There was a calendar shot in 1984 I believe of one of our contras with hs arms at about a 45% angle holding that horn like it was nothing.

At the end of the 1980 show/video they show a smaller sized contra holding it up high and proud, all by himself. He looked maybe of Latino decent.

Small but like a bull holding up that contra with the #1 sign! Great shot of him! :wub:

We finished our victory concert with people literally inches from the bell of our horns in the endzone.  It was a bizarre experience.  Finish the show, horns down, and people running up to shake your hand while your still on the field.

Robert, when you say victory concert, was that you playing to SCV and vice versa? Like the video that was put up with each playing to each other? Or are you NOT talking about 81? Thanks.

I wish they still had prelims! After seeing these pictures, I pine for them. I normally don't attend semi's and quarters, but if they brought back prelims (doubtful), I'd be down.....sitting in the stands, well for a much shorter time now I suppose, and getting a tan while enjoying drum corps.

With so few corps, that would be a great way to see all Divisions by having a prelims show. Then they could break off for finals, but at least we'd get to see all divisions!

Just thinking out loud.

Edited by LancerFi