some old corps photos

Image created from copyrighted material removed

that's hot...

that's hot...

No Geno... she looks worried ... maybe she knows that you might see her pic one day???? :laugh:

No Geno... she looks worried ... maybe she knows that you might see her pic one day???? :laugh:

ha! I dunno susan... I think she looks kinda:

"Excuse me? You wanna buy me a drink? chyeaaaaa...righeeeet. Oh, and I can kick your butt, too, so step off..."

Sad :( this used to be my favorite thread...

Sad :( this used to be my favorite thread...

well... Lancerlady, you might be right. It IS kinda sad the way things went the last few weeks in this thread. This copywrite issue is difficult at best, and I would agree wholeheartedly that it is wrong for anyone to come in here and snag pictures to take and sell. There are three solutions at best: watermark or put a big ol' tag right in the middle of the pictures you choose to post here (like Jolesch does); post the pics so small (like Jolesch does) that copying them would be worthless to the person doing the "stealing"; or finally, don't post pictures here at all.

It is sad that a good person like Sandy (malibu) decided to just "pull the plug" on the whole thing here... as was her right... and that DCP loses an intelligent, good person because of this issue. Sandy was a loyal, good hearted poster who is knowledgable, experienced in corps and has a ton of integrity. She has decided to post elsewhere... and she has good reasons that I support. I feel bad she decided to leave DCP totally, though, over the issue of THIS thread, but I back her none-the-less. I wish she could stay and just not post in this thread anymore if that's how she feels about it, but that's her choice. Losing her pictures in this thread hurts everyone (especially someone who might come along and see themselves in a picture she posted and be thrilled to find it) just because someone decided to grab them and make a profit from her generousity without so much as even a second thought that that might be wrong to do.

Also, the "angry mob" (of which I was one...) over the "DCI not allowing posting of pictures" here... we all took a spanking on that one, I guess. But there indeed was an unspoken kind of "rumor" out there implying that posting ANY pictures (even ones we took with our own camera's) somehow were the sole property of DCI, and I think that's where people started reacting the way they did. A small spark ignited a firestorm, and that happens in the news everyday when some politician opens their mouth. The picture issue has been a tough issue for many of us since the '70's when they started by first banning tape recorders at DCI shows. Suddenly my mom and dad couldn't record my shows anymore, and that seemed a little unfair back then. Now we can see what technology has come along with, and anyone can record shows on their PHONES now daysand post them on YouTube. You see it at rock concerts and playhouses and drum corps shows now all the time. It's a phenomenon that is going to get away from the "powers that be" soon (kinda has already) and there is nothing "they" can do about it. Anyway, JohnD came in and set the record straight, but the issue was fevorishly spoken about, and someone paid attention to the post's. Maybe we were off-base a bit, but a point was made through it all. (That being that any governing of pictures will always be a "lightning rod" issue...)

This thread speaks for itself simply in the number of views it has had and the number of post's in it. It is light years ahead of ANY other thread here on DCP, and any of the other threads that have pictures in them are high traffic threads as well. That speaks for itself: people like to see pictures.

I don't know what we can do about anyone who comes in here and takes the pictures and does dishonest things with them... call them out when we catch them I suppose. But sadly, it will probably happen anyway, and the people doing the stealing will somehow turn it around and blame the poster, DCP and the easter bunny and President Bush and anyone else before they take responsibility for their bad deeds, just like the person here who was called out did. She comes in two months after the fact and says "it was the posters fault for not putting a mark on the picture or saying they own the photograph"... sheesh. OK. :laugh: sad...

I guess I'll wrap up here by finally saying that if it was my post above about the girl in the picture I commented on that makes you feel sad... sorry about that. I screw around all the time, and I was just having some fun. I just want to see this thread get back on track again... if that's even possible... and I'm notorius for silly posting. Sorry, that's me. Can't (won't) change that. But I don't really think that's what you meant by your above post, anyway.

I totally understand if all that has gone on here has ruined this for you. I respect your posts here, and YOU as well. You have been here a long time and have seen many things come and go here on DCP. But it (this thread) probably will carry on... with or without you. I certainly hope it's WITH, and that the "wrongs" here can be "righted" soon. All we can do is try to get started again... and be vigilant in our newly found knowledge of posting pictures here.

All above just my thoughts... not speaking for anyone but me.

Hey Geno, No I'm not sad about the comment you made actually it was pretty funny. You know us 27 women have always loved you Madison guys. :laugh:

But that is not what I'm sad about, it's turned into a sort of mockery I guess, and you can say that the other issue has been resolved but last I looked only thing is that we were waiting to hear something from DCI. Have we actually heard anything or did we just take somebody's word that they were looking into it? Oh and I found out that "permission" was given for this person to use the photo's from this thread, and imo shouldn't have happened without at least asking the community here that is donating the history to the thread. Somebody gave me emails exchanged regarding that.

I already got my message from Mr. Acheson about the picture matter, but I doubt DCI cares so much about this thread, but is keeping an eye on the picture situation. Yes I jumped on the bandwagon of that one but oh well, you live and learn. I am sure DCI is concerned about the same things we are, people stealing and making money, which is what is sad to me. Cause I won't even post any more of my own personal pictures because of all this mess and btw I am encrypting pictures on our website if anyone wants to donate I will post them on there and encrypt and protect from people stealing. Another way besides watermarking.

When I posted pictures I didn't think we'd have to worry about such things thinking people on here would realize the website is copyrighted, and Sandy donated pictures to our website that I haven't had a chance to put up. I have always contacted the posters and asked "Can I use these pictures on the website". Why is that so hard to do for people? JUST ASK and give proper credit. When this person asked to use the pictures from here one of the stipulations was just mention DCP, I don't even see that anywhere on their little photo book.

I post their name on the website but when I see drum corps folks who should KNOW better coming on here stealing and justifying their reasons and attempting to make money on ebay and trying to make everyone act like they "didn't know what they were doing", and then come on here and have the audicity to tell us about their version of copyright law well, that is what is sad to me. That grown people who I know were taught better are behaving in such a manner of something so precious.

History...all we wanted to do was help teach history and now this has turned into this.

Sandy has every right to be mad, people on here acting like she did something wrong, she did NOTHING wrong but protect what was hers, her beautiful pictures that told a story. The day that someone trying to protect their property turns into people calling her vile disguisting things and a liar is SAD. Those are the things that are sad.

So not everything is as black and white as some would have you think here.

Edited by Lancerlady

I can't remember if I jumped on any bandwagon or not about this issue. I think I only posted about two sentences. But if I'm guilty of contributing to paranoia, then I apologize....unless I meant to do it. ^0^