some old corps photos

Wow... whoda thunk snapshots of some kids marching around 20-30 years ago would cause such a fuss. As if any harm was done. No one died or was injured and no one lost anything, except the old farts who like looking at the pictures. Sigh. :(

Yea, sucks huh....

I was just reading the last few posts about this other site with all these old photos and how some of you who I see here alot contributed photos there.

Well, if that site is gone and you need somewhere to post them or view them, what is wrong with this very thread right here?

It is called "some old corps photos"

Post um if you got um! :P

Some of the photos here were found there first....especially the really old ones.

I have a question...not baiting a serious question?

Who lost on this deal? who was hurt?

Oh, well, so much for showing MY DAUGHTER what I did when I was young !!!

I marched in drum corps because I loved doing it for ten years, now NO MORE PICTURES AT ALL ON THIS THREAD, IS THAT RIGHT ?

If so, THAT REALLY SUCKS !! <**>

So much for the history of drum corps. :(

I marched in drum corps because I loved doing it for ten years, now NO MORE PICTURES AT ALL ON THIS THREAD, IS THAT RIGHT ?

Nope, it's not.

If you or any of the rest of us have images we own (or that are in public domain) post away. Images that DON'T belong to the poster are supposed to NOT be posted (like images that were first printed in DCI's yearbooks and a few other private publishers). If you have more images from the 70s 80s 90s or whenever that you took yourself or you purchased, feel free to put 'em up.

Hopefully everyone here has gotten the message that posting on this thread is not the same thing as giving permission to reuse the image on another site, or offer copies for sale.

Nope, it's not.

If you or any of the rest of us have images we own (or that are in public domain) post away. Images that DON'T belong to the poster are supposed to NOT be posted (like images that were first printed in DCI's yearbooks and a few other private publishers). If you have more images from the 70s 80s 90s or whenever that you took yourself or you purchased, feel free to put 'em up.

Hopefully everyone here has gotten the message that posting on this thread is not the same thing as giving permission to reuse the image on another site, or offer copies for sale.

Exactly! I hope we've all learned lessons here and not just about the pictures either.

Before you go "assuming"...and accusing make sure you have the facts first.

Nobody tried to cause anybody any harm we just thought it was wrong for people to be making money off of photos that didn't belong to them.

And for the poster who asks who it hurts? It hurts the integrity of the activity when we have grown people going around stealing and lying...about something as precious as the history and trying to make money off of something that isn't theirs. No matter if it's one photo or 50.

Rob nobody said you couldn't post pictures on here...just be careful...make sure they're watermarked or encrypted so nobody can steal them.

WOW - I don't check on this thread for a couple of days .... and all Hades breaks loose again.

Here are some facts, folks:

I just wanted you all to know...My site "Drum Corps of the 60's & 70's" is no more...Someone suceeded in deleting 4 years of work and major history for drum corps...you know who you are so I will not say anymore. I am sorry this all happened but I did have permission to use this pictrues from John Donovan and the pictrues I sold (14) as a matter of fact, I had no way of knowing they had a copyright on it or they were from someone on here. I have only been on here 3 times and I will not be on anymore...Your past history from your corps is gone...it is a sad day for the DRUM Corps World...Marlene

I received an email on September 5 from a person that identified herself as Marlene and asked if she could post MY photos from DCA Championships in Rochester this year - on a historic Yahoo picture page. I gave that person permission to post MY pictures (taken with my camera for use on my site) on that single site - with the condition that credit be given to Drum Corps Planet.com. NO permission was given to sell any of my images in any way, medium, or form. Any use of my intellectual property that did not meet those conditions or exceeded the scope of the specific permission granted is a violation of federal Copyright Law. Period.

As to the issue of files being deleted - I find it difficult to understand how someone could have deleted photos posted on a Yahoo site, if the site was properly secured by a secure password.

You may have asked John Donnovon for permission to post but even in their guidelines if you look and read... it states that he can grant permission unless those that are copyrighted from somewhere else and in that case you have to ask the owners. And in that email you forwarded me from him, he even asked you to give DCP credit and nowhere was there credit given. Furthermore, I'm not gonna sit here take crap from you because I was asked to do my job as the person who runs the website. I was harrased for days when all I did was ask them to remove any pictures that were being sold. It had nothing to do with this thread, it was involving copyright infringement. I was told I was threatening her and mass emails went out to people, when I didn't, and I have all these wild emails she sent me if she wants to go there.

I have released NO permission for any person to use ANY photograph published on this site - other than those noted above. I've been a published photographer for some 20 years and in the intellectual property business for beyond that many. I'm very careful with IP releases and permissions granted. While I have not seen the sites described or EBay auctions referred-to ..... I will take every legal recourse available to enforce my copyrights in my photographs ... especially if I've been misled or taken advantage-of by someone.

If so, THAT REALLY SUCKS !! <**>

So much for the history of drum corps. :(

NO photos have been removed from this thread by my staff or I. If individuals have removed the source / links for images they may have posted - there's nothing I can do about that. However, I have taken no action to remove any posts or images from this thread. Don't be so quick to assume that the sky is falling.

That said, I must say that I'm terribly disappointed in the way this has evolved over the past couple of weeks. This thread was seen as a way to preserve some of the history of the activity - something I strongly support. I've maintained this position with DCI and others that may have a claim and rights to restrict these sorts of images ..... and to-date, I've been successful in making that case. Further, the images in this thread consume considerable resources on the DCP servers .... network bandwidth, disk space, processor time, etc. Up until recently, I've been quite happy to provide those resources (remember - FREE of charge to our members) - in support of the archival value associated with keeping these images safe. In the past few weeks, I've started questioning the wisdom of that decision.

I will close this thread and remove the ability to post photos on this site - if we can not clean this mess up folks. This is not a moderation issue. This is an issue of people respecting the rights of others and caring enought about the community as-a-whole to do what is right. There's a bit of an 'honor system' involved here, where the rights of others must be considered .... and when we go outside of those boundaries ... we risk loosing the PRIVILEDGES associated.

Give that some thought, please. I'll be watching how this proceeds.

-john

How about because there they were posted in groups pertaining to the particular corps instead of having to sift through 7666 posts?

Ray

You do not have to sift through 7666 posts to find photos,

Just type in the corps name you are looking for in the "Search Topic" feature down at the lower left of the page. :P

For example, I just typed Bridgemen and it brought up 11 pages of Bridgemen photos and discussion.

I believe the point has not been made.

The pictures were being sold I believe on Ebay for profit.

I believe some of my own personal ones were there. I put them up for all to see and for no one to make money from. That's not what here for.

Chickie says she's been out of work for 4 years, so I believe it's not her person sight but the selling, unless it's someone else selling them.

I believe Malibu doesn't want her personal pictures being sold. I don't believe anyone has mentioned that here have they?

It would be a sad day if it comes to John having to close this great thread....

That being said, Please let me attempt to add my observations....

I am one of the Moderators on the dcot60sa70s Yahoo DC Group

I believe the point has not been made.

The pictures were being sold I believe on Ebay for profit.

Last spring Marlene ordered a set of photos from her Sony's ImageStation account (I do not know how many) She was sent a duplicate set, those are the photos she had put on Ebay. (to recover the cost of the prints) She removed the photos from Ebay when she was asked to. (she did not sell them)

I believe some of my own personal ones were there. I put them up for all to see and for no one to make money from. That's not what here for.

Chickie says she's been out of work for 4 years, so I believe it's not her person sight but the selling, unless it's someone else selling them.

Chickie (Marlene) said she put 4 years into building the dcot60sa70s Yahoo DC Group(s), there WAS a total of 10 sites, one (1) remains (Jr. Corps - "A" to "B") Marlene is retired and has been working to save the Drum Corps HISTORY a lot longer than some of the DCP folks have been alive. (She "aged out" of the Audubon Bon Bons in 1956 and has been involved in DC almost all of her life. Her Mom and Dad were also involved with the Audubon Bon Bons)

Up until this spring, (2006) Marlene was a active member of the Vagabonds Alumni Corps playing a horn, (for health reasons, she can not continue playing her horn) how many of us think we'll still be ABLE to still be actively involved in what we love at 71 yrs of age? (or even here to enjoy it) For some of you reading this, that are now still in Jr. Corps, there will be a day in your future that you'll want to show your grandchildren what you were doing in Drum Corps in the 1990's and 2000's. I hope there will not be anyone at that time that would work toward deleting your DC history. I am not blaming anyone here or anywhere else, I have NO idea what happened to MY photos that I had uploaded the Marlene's site(s) along with dozens of my fellow DC "historians" 1,000's of photos and other memorabilia

I believe Malibu doesn't want her personal pictures being sold. I don't believe anyone has mentioned that here have they?

I do NOT condone the fact that Marlene had put ANY photos on Ebay. I do know she did NOT sell any DC photos, as I stated above, she removed them when she was asked to.

I have worked close with Marlene in the past several months as one of her Moderators and have been a member of her dcot60sa70s yahoo DC groups back to around the summer of 2005. Marlene did NOT close her own Yahoo DC Group(s), she started to delete and move her DC photos from her Sony's ImageStation account, to protect OUR DC history from anyone purchasing from Sony. We, at this posting, do not know what happened to the dcot60sa70s 9 other sites, or why they were removed.

In closing of my post, I would hope it doesn't come to John needing to close this thread as this also has a great deal of DC history here. It just might be the last place we will ever be able to relive OUR DC history...

Yours in Corps,

Tony White

dcot60sa70s Mod

Sunrisers Alumni Association PR Staff

Sunrisers Alumni Forum Asst. Administrator

Proud member of this DCP community