how conditioned were YOU?

Within 3 months of practicing in 93 for the full field show in 94, I felt I was back to normal. However I was only 35, and we didn't do anything that difficult.

Also, I was about 9 pounds heavier and throws/flips seemed to come much easier with a little more weight. I'm not sure if it was my imagination-however in my junior corps days I was usually the 3rd or 4th from short to tall, and the skinniest, as far as I can remember. Yep, even the young lassies coming in when I was 20 were taller and larger than I was so in conclusion, I did have more power in 94.... :P but didn't need it!

I still miss it, and there is still a huge void in my life. I'm sorry to say that I've still found nothing that I'm AS PASSIONATE ABOUT. A very sad commentary considering I was a perfectionist as I'm sure 99% of us were, and so disciplined. How could I not yet have found something that compares or comes close. Maybe I'm afraid I won't feel as successful as I felt most of the time while marching in a group setting.

Well, I finally opened that wound up, you were saying no one really wants to answer, but there, I've put mine on the table.....

I am in much better shape than I was than. I was 5' 11" and weighed 160# of skin and bone, I smoked, I never ever worked out, although I had been a long distance swimmer before drum corps...hmmmm. Now I am 230#, 6' and work out 5 days a week. The cymbals I once struggled to lift every winter I now can toss about like so much fluff. I wish I had the power that I do now, than.

I spent most of my adult life looking for something to be as passionate about as drum corps when I was a kid. I sometimes think I blew my passion load too early. Yea right... I was actually influenced by people who taught me to "mellow out" and don't try to be such a perfectionist. That lasted long... I look foward to being able to put a perfectionists touch on my performance with the Kingsmen in 2007, tempered by the wisdon I have accumulated over the years. I put my passion in my work, my martial arts and now school. Oh and my relationship. I am passionate about the kids I am raising.

I always thought the issue was more pavlovian. I did everything for years after marching with drum corps to music cues.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Braga, Glen Nash and I are the poster children for Kingsmen Alumni Corps physical fitness: we eat hubcaps for breakfast. Not Baby Moons, either: the big shiny diesel ones. But being polite, we tear them up in little pieces with our bare hands before we chew them.

If you think we're tough.....you ought to see the Guard! Yes, it is a Color Guard: not a dance troupe and not an auxillary, just old school color guard at its finest: 10 ft. tall, no eyes under the shako brim and hearts like ice. We love them.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Braga, Glen Nash and I are the poster children for Kingsmen Alumni Corps physical fitness: we eat hubcaps for breakfast. Not Baby Moons, either: the big shiny diesel ones. But being polite, we tear them up in little pieces with our bare hands before we chew them.

If you think we're tough.....you ought to see the Guard! Yes, it is a Color Guard: not a dance troupe and not an auxillary, just old school color guard at its finest: 10 ft. tall, no eyes under the shako brim and hearts like ice. We love them.

RON HOUSLEY

I've been scrounging around the local junkyards trying to get ready myself!!

I find that Buick hubcaps are the best......slightly tart, yet with just a hint of fruitiness!! :P

RON HOUSLEY

:blink::blink: ^0^ :blink:

I was in much better shape then than I am now . . . though I'm in better shape now than I was 10 years ago, mainly because I do a lot of walking to run errands. The difference I recall most clearly is that back when I marched corps, I could climb multiple flights of stairs without getting winded; wouldn't happen now!

I still miss it, and there is still a huge void in my life. I'm sorry to say that I've still found nothing that I'm AS PASSIONATE ABOUT. A very sad commentary considering I was a perfectionist as I'm sure 99% of us were, and so disciplined. How could I not yet have found something that compares or comes close. Maybe I'm afraid I won't feel as successful as I felt most of the time while marching in a group setting.

I know what you're talking about; after I aged out, I couldn't believe how much I missed corps. I was able to find something very close through teaching guard, but even then, there was still that intense yearning to march. Eventually, though, that passed. Several years ago, I had an opportunity to march in a nearby senior corps. I tried it for a while, but it just didn't feel the same. It's too bad, really, because had I had that opportunity 10 years earlier, I would've snapped it up in a second; that's how strong the feeling still was in me.

I think for me, what changed was that I hadn't been in a significant personal relationship until nine years ago, so I tended to use my corps/guard experience as an emotional replacement for that. Then, when I finally met the fella who is my husband, a lot of my priorities changed. All of those other outlets that had been so important to me faded into the background a bit. Corps and guard are still important to me, and I still enjoy them, but more in a nostalgic sense, not something that I ache to achieve again.

I always struggled with weight issues in high school but after I began drum corps, I had lost alot of weight, no one recognized me. That is what is in all my annuals that everybody signed about my success of getting into shape.

Of course being a Lancer you could live off of PB &J, Ravioli, tuna sandwiches and cookies milk (two cookies after the show thank you), with that diet no wonder we all were skinny. b**bs Not too mention having to push the buses most of the tour..lol. :blink: b**bs

Anyway, I began gaining weight again when I quit smoking in 97. I discovered my taste buds and well that's how it works (gaining weight after quitting).

I discovered the South Beach diet recently and am doing great on this lifestyle and had lost 16 pounds :). So...I was better conditioned back then, well what do you expect marching a Zingali/Sylvester drill? :P And marching 8's and 8's all the time not to mention all the running you did, and 27 push ups..(and I didn't do them the girlie way either). :blink:

I never got over it either but what helps me is being married to a Lancer alumni, sharing those same things with your husband really helps and not to mention it's just cool as all get out to be married to a Lancer. We speak the "language of 27"...:).

Edited by Lancerlady

I've been scrounging around the local junkyards trying to get ready myself!!

I find that Buick hubcaps are the best......slightly tart, yet with just a hint of fruitiness!! :P

I pull 'em right off of the car as it sits at the red light....there is nothing more satisfying then a hot meal. ^0^

I pull 'em right off of the car as it sits at the red light....there is nothing more satisfying then a hot meal. ^0^

Touche'!

I salute you Sir!!