how conditioned were YOU?

Before 2004, I hadn't marched since 1987. In the five years before I joined the Renegades in 2004, I ran the Hawaii marathon, the Los Angeles marathon, Boston marathon and several others. I was in the best shape I have been in since aging out. I am also a avid weightlifter, so being in condition wasn't the issue for me. I had not spun a rifle in 9 years before 2004, and I have never spun a 39" rifle in my life. So my chops sucked for the first month or two after getting started. After that it was alot of hard work and fun.

Nancy and Sue, you guys should really find a all age corps to march in. For me it was the best thing that I could have done. I was soooo not through with marching after I aged out, tried teaching and it did not fix me at all. When I joined the Renegades, that was just what the doctor ordered. While the experience was not the same as my experience in the Cavaliers, it rekindled the fire of life in me. Can't wait for January camp!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nancy and Sue, you guys should really find a all age corps to march in.

As I noted in my post, I've already tried it several years ago. Just wasn't the same, for me. But I'm glad it's been such a great experience for you!

I agree Sue. I went to a local rehearsal.

1) I was the dinosaur, even though most everyone was older than me. (they played on 3 valve G bugles).

2) I felt like playing something other than a Sousa march or corny dixie jazz.

I really wished it had been better for me. And I hope it does well.

Yes! My situation is quite similar to my "colleague" in the Renegades, "Deftguy!" After not marching since '82, it was a shock to experience "crabbing" and marching your *** off in a drum line! I admit that I do miss the 50 yard line! However, I've remained in pretty good shape through the years, mainly due to my outdoor job and running 10k's. (Marathons are out of my league, except for the all-night practices that we called marathons when I was in Devs!) Coming back to the drum corps scene, yes, is a great way to stay active doing something ya love and stay pretty fit! Back in the day I wasn't as much into physical fitness as I am now, but wasn't in bad shape, I guess!

I agree Sue. I went to a local rehearsal.

1) I was the dinosaur, even though most everyone was older than me. (they played on 3 valve G bugles).

2) I felt like playing something other than a Sousa march or corny dixie jazz.

I really wished it had been better for me. And I hope it does well.

My experience was similar, but the details were a bit different. I was definitely the oldest one in the guard, so I was regarded as a dinosaur in that way. I felt like an outsider, but it was mainly because I've always been pretty meticulous about timing and technique, and in the rehearsals I went to, stuff was all over the place. I would ask questions to try to nail things down, not only for myself but also for others in the guard, and I would get these looks like, "Why are you messin' with our vibe? We're on a roll, here!"

The whole time I was there, I just felt like I didn't fit in, somehow. But it wasn't a big deal, once I recognized the way things were. I realized that I'd been there, done that, and I had lots of wonderful memories, but I decided that now it was time to do other things in my life. And to be honest, that came as something of a relief, because it meant I could let go of something that--for me, anyway--was part of my past. That doesn't mean I honor or respect it any less, but I don't cling to that past and keep trying to recreate it, which is what I'd spent years trying to do before.

Edited by byline

Like a few people who have posted, I had not played or marched in 30+ years, but had continued to follow the activity since the 60's. On a whim in September 2001 I drove five hours to Chicago to attend the first rehearsal of the Royal-Airs Reunion Corps. It was magical! Here I was in the middle of a massive 85 member horn line with the likes of legendary RA soloists like Jimmy Angarola and Chris Ferrara. The thrills continued with the arrival of Truman Crawford and Mitch Markovich. What a feeling to play all of those classic charts like Ballyhoo, John Brown's Body, Birth Of The Blues and Watermelon Man... AND having Tru out from conducting! I can not put into words what it was like, but certainly this was one of the most emotional times of my life. To wear that replica blue & white uniform and have Brant Crocker annouce at the 2002 DCI semifinals in Madison..."on the starting line, THE CHICAGO ROYAL-AIRS!!".

So, for those fellow dinosaurs who are debating whether they could possibly march again, especially alums of the Anaheim Kingsmen, Madison Scouts or Bridgemen, my advice is to go for it! You will have the time of your life! Besides, the view from the field with fans giving you numerous standing ovations is thrill beyond compair.