Out of step!

I have seen the passing remarks about changes made with corps over the last several years but it wasn't until I saw a photo of corp members singing with microphones on the field (carolina crown?) that I am moved to say something. Is it just me or is the line between marching band/ chorus and drum corp blurring into some sort of hybrid? Who is responsible for this and where does it stop? When should I expect to see clarinets and flutes seeping into a DCI show? Call me old fashioned or a traditionalist---but I have some very strong feelings on this issue!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen the passing remarks about changes made with corps over the last several years but it wasn't until I saw a photo of corp members singing with microphones on the field (carolina crown?) that I am moved to say something. Is it just me or is the line between marching band/ chorus and drum corp blurring into some sort of hybrid? Who is responsible for this and where does it stop? When should I expect to see clarinets and flutes seeping into a DCI show? Call me old fashioned or a traditionalist---but I have some very strong feelings on this issue!

Stay tuned....There is no secret within DCI that it is their goal to bring "drum corps" more inline with mainstream marching bands. DCI may sell itself off as being a not-for-profit organization, but like any "successful" endeavor success it marked by growth, and growth = market share. Refuse woodwinds, chorale, electronics, string instruments – loose exposure. Exposure = $$$$$$$$

DCI justifies all of these changes by focusing on reducing the amount of young adults that are “denied” the ability to be involved in the activity. I have no doubt that the direction the sport is headed will include all of these in the very near future.

Now old-crusty-hard-headed individuals like myself have two choices, get used to it, or move on.

:blah:

As said before, there is always room for "traditional" drum corps outside of DCI. Don't have one? Start one. And it's just not about the number of valves on brass instruments that makes it a band. It's all that other stuff you mentioned.

I'm old school age out from 67 Kingsmen: Anaheim, that is. I've watched drum corps become more band like over the years, too. I won't take anything away from the new kids, they try as hard as we did in our time and enjoy it just as much and get just as much out of the experience as we did, too.

No woodwinds, amps, or vocals. A lot of props can go, too, they're distracting....and I'm really sick and tired of all the wandering around on the field before a corps' performance, again distracting. I follow old school here, you are "ON" from the time the first person sees you in uniform, whether that be in the parking lot or the field itself.

RON HOUSLEY

Now old-crusty-hard-headed individuals like myself have two choices, get used to it, or move on.

I plan to go and watch the warm-ups in the parking lot anyway. If the activity moves into the more, how shall I put it, marching band mode, than I'll move on. I had some fun, met some people I consider family, won a couple of titles - oh well.

exposure?

Those prospective members can do what hundreds of us did/do every year...put down your wfirst instrument be it woodwind or whatever, pick up a horn, and bust your butt till your good enough to get in.

I don't care what you play, if you want to get into corps - you can. That is not a viable excuse in my mind.

Incidently, a running joke is that corps that sponsor marching band competitions, etc., are just trying to get a jump on the future - they'll have a base if things ever go that route.

ffernbus, I agree- you are "on" from the moment you arrive at the show, heck - any time your with your corps.

Props to PR and SCV for staying true.

Edited by raphael18

As said before, there is always room for "traditional" drum corps outside of DCI.  Don't have one? Start one.  And it's just not about the number of valves on brass instruments that makes it a band.  It's all that other stuff you mentioned.

I'm old school age out from 67 Kingsmen: Anaheim, that is.  I've watched drum corps become more band like over the years, too.  I won't take anything away from the new kids, they try as hard as we did in our time and enjoy it just as much and get just as much out of the experience as we did, too.

No woodwinds, amps, or vocals.  A lot of props can go, too, they're distracting....and I'm really sick and tired of all the wandering around on the field before a corps' performance, again distracting.  I follow old school here, you are "ON" from the time the first person sees you in uniform, whether that be in the parking lot or the field itself.

RON HOUSLEY

Glad to see other traditionalists out there!! You said it well! MY one other question on this subject is: What ever happened to LOYALTY??

KEEP THE FAITH!!

:laugh:

Stay tuned....There is no secret within DCI that it is their goal to bring "drum corps" more inline with mainstream marching bands. DCI may sell itself off as being a not-for-profit organization, but like any "successful" endeavor success it marked by growth, and growth = market share. Refuse woodwinds, chorale, electronics, string instruments – loose exposure. Exposure = $$$$$$$$

DCI justifies all of these changes by focusing on reducing the amount of young adults that are “denied” the ability to be involved in the activity.  I have no doubt that the direction the sport is headed will include all of these in the very near future.

I Hear ya on the money issue---I came out of the Eastern Massachusettes circuit where there were tons of corps that have since folded due to money issues. There was always a rivalry between marching bands and corps---and not a friendly one either especially at the CYO shows that had competitions of both bands and corps at the same show---different divisions mind you---but there was always plenty of booing from the stands from the band people to the corps and vice versa---years later when it was no longer an option to be in a corp I joined my high school band who had somehow been taught to dislike the corps (especially the Bridgemen) for their lack of tradition and hard work---I had to take issue on this point loudly and to my own detriment as it turned out ---until my band director pulled me aside and revealed that little did the group know but he had planned for them to march a corp style show that year using a style of marching that hadn't been seen by anybody corp or otherwise in decades (pegleg style)---It raised a lot of eyebrows and got us some recognition---this was around the time that money seemed to be taking control of an activity that was always available in my part of the world for just about any street level kid to get into rather than get into trouble---that in the end is the sad part of the dissapearance of these small groups---I am willing to bet that as the corps dissapeared one by one in Massachusetts and surrounding states ---the incidence of juvenile crime rose---I never had a taste for rich kids sports and it seems to me that DCI is becoming just that---I know it's not true everywhere---but things aint what they used to be---blah blah blah