Omaha Railmen

Oh, I'm sure everyone asks Warren for everything.

I don't know if it's been covered in this thread, but the "nail in our coffin", so to speak, was a botched presentation at a meeting of Omaha corporate leaders looking for charities to whom they could contribute.

I think it was prior to the 1995 season when Steve & Cheryl were all set to present our corps to those corporations, complete with an insider at Union Pacific who knew the Railmen's story and their then-current status as being an independent, non-U.P.-funded organization.

As they went into the meeting room, there was a different U.P. representative who had not been briefed about the Railmen. Steve could barely get past, "Hi, I'm with the Railmen Drum & Bugle Corps," before that new U.P. rep said, "Oh, they're the Union Pacific Railmen, we're their corporate sponsor."

Doh!

Hey Greg, got any space this weekend?

shortn'stern, I think I know who you are.. lol

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm here --

The Monty Python brass ensemble in '95 was actually witnessed by the euph section leader here in the Marines D&B. I was talking about it one day and he goes, "Holy cow, dude, I was there!" He thought it was hilarious; I think he was with Magic at the time.

After we did our show with the Silent Drill Platoon this summer, several of our guys came up to me and asked if Omaha was a big drum corps town. I was like, "Why do you ask?", and they talked about how responsive the crowd was, applauding at hits and for soloists, just like a knowledgeable drum corps crowd. We've done some shows where the crowd is... well, politely impressed. By contrast, the crowd at the Creighton stadium was one of the best we've ever played for. As a bonus, the hotel was great (Hiltons tend to be that way), we were well-fed, and we had good transportation. I think that we, as a group, would enjoy playing Omaha again.

Oh, I'm sure everyone asks Warren for everything.

Well, until you've actually asked him, you don't know. Why take yourself (not you, just saying) out of the game before a pitch has been thrown.

Warren is giving away 35 BILLION dollars. Since he is an Omaha man, I am sure he might have a soft-spot for an Omaha-based activity. You just need the right connections and a good pitch. Heck, play him some drum corps live, for goodness sakes :)

It's funny that you mention the Omaha crowd. That show this past summer, from a performer's point of view, was one of the most fun out of the year. Great, responsive, crowd, and very welcoming off the field as well.

From an Omaha native's point of view, I'd venture to say 50% of that audience (or more) has never been to a drum corps show in their life. Just sayin'

• 1 year later...

Had to say hello. I played for the Railmen 1986 through 1988. Bass line in 86 and snare line 87 and 88. What an experience.

I was asked to be part of the All Stars in Dallas in 88. I still have the photo, my snare drum and uniform from that year.

In 1989 I transferred schools to U of Iowa and went and marched with the Emerald Knights from Cedar Rapids out of pure convienience. I wish I could have made it back to Omaha for that season.

I didn't get to march my age out year which would have been 1990.

However, I did march with Frontier - a new DCA corps in Dallas, TX in 2006. Now they're gone already and have now reformed as the Vigalantes.