Omaha Railmen

So, I just came under the impression that Omaha used to have a junior drum corps that by the sounds of it wasn't all too shabby. And was in existence 'till the mid 90s even. I for one find this awesome, and now I am very curious. If anybody has anything at all that you would like to share (info, players, scores, history, pictures, etc.) I would love to hear/see it! :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I just came under the impression that Omaha used to have a junior drum corps that by the sounds of it wasn't all too shabby. And was in existence 'till the mid 90s even. I for one find this awesome, and now I am very curious. If anybody has anything at all that you would like to share (info, players, scores, history, pictures, etc.) I would love to hear/see it!  :)

There is a small (4 members) group on yahoo...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Railmen/

As kid in Wyoming and marching Troopers during the mid '80's, and then while marchign Regiment in '89/90, I remember the Railmen from a lot of shows.

When I saw then in '84 - '86, they wore blue riverboat-gambler style uniforms. They always closed with the UPRR theme song ("We're a million miles of history, shinin' in the sun....We're the Union Pacific! And our story's just begun!") which got the crowd on their feet without fail at the Cheyenne show, since Cheyenne is a big UPRR town. They seemed to tour regionally, and I never saw them outside of the once-large Drums Along the Rockies tour (Denver, Cheyenne, Casper, Sheridan, Greeley, Fort Collins, Boulder were all fairly regular stops).

In '89 and '90, they were in the midwest and at finals. They were very, very entertaining and the crowd always responded very well to their jazzy shows. I loved hearing them at retreat.

As kid in Wyoming and marching Troopers during the mid '80's, and then while marchign Regiment in '89/90, I remember the Railmen from a lot of shows.

When I saw then in '84 - '86, they wore blue riverboat-gambler style uniforms.  They always closed with the UPRR theme song ("We're a million miles of history, shinin' in the sun....We're the Union Pacific! And our story's just begun!") which got the crowd on their feet without fail at the Cheyenne show, since Cheyenne is a big UPRR town.  They seemed to tour regionally, and I never saw them outside of the once-large Drums Along the Rockies tour (Denver, Cheyenne, Casper, Sheridan, Greeley, Fort Collins, Boulder were all fairly regular stops).

In '89 and '90, they were in the midwest and at finals.  They were very, very entertaining and the crowd always responded very well to their jazzy shows.  I loved hearing them at retreat.

I believe the Railmen placed 25th in 1989, making them a DCI member corps for 1990.

After Railmen folded as a junior corps, they attempted a comeback as a senior corps which only lasted a year or two, if that.

We lost the UP sponsership in 90 in 91 we went to the red and white uniforms that was also the last year we made D II/III final placing sixth. A couple of memories from 91: Practicing in the Omaha heat <**> , we had a couple of younger kids 5-8 that some of the members formed as cadets corps called the Spikes. Steping on to the field in Dallas for D II prelims and getting poured on by a massive rain shower at 8 in the morning. Playing on the corps for retreat for D II/III finals. We were lined up next to Southwind at finals and after they had anounced them as D II champs our and we had saluted them we were called back to attention and we broke ranks and went and shook all of their hands congratulating them on their win. I still remember the look on their faces when started they were like :rolleyes: after the first two guys they were :)