Omaha Railmen

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite memory of the Railmen involved their placement in 1990. I, and almost the entire crowd in Buffalo, had them finishing a lot higher, and when their placement was announced, their was booing like I had never heard before. I was one of the boo'ers. (I was 15. I don't advocate booing now, but I digress...)

Being near the front of the field, I could see the guard trying to hold it together, tears running down a lot of their faces, as the crowd slowly turned their boos into wild applause. The crowd support was amazing!

I miss that corps. They were a good bunch.

The same thing happened to us in 91 at DCM. They start anouncing the caption awards for D 2/3 we start taking everything, colorguard, horns, even DM, it comes down to perccusion and we are thinking we made a clean sweep of all captions when the anouncer goes " And the best perccusion goes to....Pioneer" all of us in the battery were like :blink:. The next thing we hear is "and in Second place with a score of 61.50....The Railmen" OMG the crowd just goes balistic with boos I can't find the right words to describe what it felt like on the field.

Hey Leleand, do you remember the rainstorm in Dallas b**bs

Yeah, that made us look like we had dead chickens sticking out of our shakos.. lol

You guys got high drums for prelims with that performance, remember?

It was kinda fun meeting up with Beatrix and trading renditions of Cruisin' For A Bluesin', too.

I gotta tell ya, though, it was hard sticking around through the transition away from Union Pacific sponsorship. A lot of kids jumped ship, and it was almost a miracle that we came onto the field for '89.

Thank goodness it came together by the end of that season. I think we were so frustrated about losing to the likes of Americanos and Northern Aurora ("Go for the cucumber!") that we busted our butts to tighten down the show going into Finals week. That was an experience in itself, because prior to each performance, we figured that we were going to be one place away from continuing to the next show. Every corps ahead of us had beaten us all season long.

Shane's preshow speech for Class A prelims went something like, "Now, this is probably our last performance, so give it everything you've got, play smart, play well..", etc. So, we beat out a corps for the first time that year, getting ourselves a Finals spot. Okay, well, to go past Finals, we had to get something like 5th or higher overall that night, but it looked like we were going to be 6th. Fine, "go out and give it your best", yadda yadda yadda... So we beat that corps and advanced again to Open prelims, where we had our best performance of the year and beat another couple of corps to make Top 25 and Quarterfinals. We just kinda had fun with Thursday night's performance, figuring that we couldn't advance eight spots to get into the Top 17 for Friday. :P

LOL, I still laugh when I look at our pic from that morning.

Yeah, the whole corps had a great performance that morning, I still remember Jim Gamaril telling us to have fun. remember playing a show in Oklahoma the night before hittingg the road right after our perferomance, get in to Dallas at what 4:30 in the morning, the get up to do a show at 8:20a. <**>

I couldn't eat tuna sandwiches for at least 6 mo after that tour b**bs