Omaha Railmen

He also marched 92-93 Railmen

Also Keith Dudek former Caption Head and instructor, Jim Heisinger Front Ensemble instructor. Bill Truelove who I think taught around the Kearny area was our sop soloist in 91 he marched from 83-91. Jon and Steve Hermach should still be aroud that area but I don't know if they are teaching. Jim Gamarill worked with Bellview for awhile.

Edited by RAILLE9192

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Omaha needs a junior drum and bugle corps.  Be it the Railmen...or someone else.

Not just Omaha.

Every state needs a drum corps! :)

Every metropolitan area needs a drum corps! :)

a little off topic...

John DeStefano (who used to teach the UNL drumline back in the mid-90's) used to be Phantom Regiment's tenor tech. back in the late 80's early 90's. I know for sure he was on the 89 and 90 team....

VERY cool guy. They didn't call him "Mr. Clean" because he was going bald either.

My favorite memory of the Railmen involved their placement in 1990. I, and almost the entire crowd in Buffalo, had them finishing a lot higher, and when their placement was announced, their was booing like I had never heard before. I was one of the boo'ers. (I was 15. I don't advocate booing now, but I digress...)

Being near the front of the field, I could see the guard trying to hold it together, tears running down a lot of their faces, as the crowd slowly turned their boos into wild applause. The crowd support was amazing!

I miss that corps. They were a good bunch.

My favorite memory of the Railmen involved their placement in 1990. I, and almost the entire crowd in Buffalo, had them finishing a lot higher, and when their placement was announced, their was booing like I had never heard before. I was one of the boo'ers. (I was 15. I don't advocate booing now, but I digress...)

You think that was crazy from the stands, you should've been in that corps.

We couldn't believe what the crowd was doing -- ####, they were even chanting "Railmen! Railmen!" We had said to heck with the judges a few weeks earlier (we tied Colts in Canada, but found a 6-point gap two nights later), so we went to attention a second time specifically to acknowledge the crowd.

What you don't see on the CorpsReps page is the repertoire for the '94 show. The board had decided to not field a corps for that season (what a depressing night that was when Bill Truelove and I heard the news), so to maintain our DCM membership and to keep the name out there, we decided to do a senior corps. That way, we could all march -- instructors, past ageouts, and current members -- and we could play just what we wanted to play, which was Tower Of Power. B) We marched the bare minimum of shows -- our home show, one road show, and DCM. We had one version of the program for the first two shows, then had two weeks (well, five rehearsals) to rewrite the drill and ground the percussion for DCM. We finally had everybody together for the first time Friday at DCM, finished learning the drill Saturday morning, and snuck past the likes of Governaires and Kilties to 2nd place and a Finals appearance. Man, that was fun.

Last I talked to him, Truelove is finishing his master's in composition and running the music department at a high school in Illinois.

Me, I'm whoring myself out by playing drum corps in the Marines. It's been a while since I've been able to get to an Omaha show.

Is the Kearney corps true, or just a rumor? While Shane was teaching Ralston (might still be, for all I know), they would call themselves the Ralston Regiment, but they were still a band.

... cool, a Railmen thread. I may have to start getting some pictures scanned for the Yahoo group.

You think that was crazy from the stands, you should've been in that corps.

We couldn't believe what the crowd was doing -- ####, they were even chanting "Railmen!  Railmen!"  We had said to heck with the judges a few weeks earlier (we tied Colts in Canada, but found a 6-point gap two nights later), so we went to attention a second time specifically to acknowledge the crowd.

What you don't see on the CorpsReps page is the repertoire for the '94 show.  The board had decided to not field a corps for that season (what a depressing night that was when Bill Truelove and I heard the news), so to maintain our DCM membership and to keep the name out there, we decided to do a senior corps.  That way, we could all march -- instructors, past ageouts, and current members -- and we could play just what we wanted to play, which was Tower Of Power. B)  We marched the bare minimum of shows -- our home show, one road show, and DCM.  We had one version of the program for the first two shows, then had two weeks (well, five rehearsals) to rewrite the drill and ground the percussion for DCM.  We finally had everybody together for the first time Friday at DCM, finished learning the drill Saturday morning, and snuck past the likes of Governaires and Kilties to 2nd place and a Finals appearance.  Man, that was fun.

Last I talked to him, Truelove is finishing his master's in composition and running the music department at a high school in Illinois.

Me, I'm whoring myself out by playing drum corps in the Marines.  It's been a while since I've been able to get to an Omaha show.

Is the Kearney corps true, or just a rumor?  While Shane was teaching Ralston (might still be, for all I know), they would call themselves the Ralston Regiment, but they were still a band.

... cool, a Railmen thread.  I may have to start getting some pictures scanned for the Yahoo group.

yeah, it's been awhile since i've been to an Omaha show. 1997 to be exact. I remember seeing Crown and Blue Devils and Vanguard. Man, that was great.

I'd be very curious to know what the railmen uni's looked like as well.

and

speaking of the yahoo group...we now have 8, count'em 8!!!! members WoOT!