Omaha Railmen

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, even Kansas City held world championships back in the day. What happened to the interest?

I can almost guarantee the interest would be here if there was enough advertisement...

Gotta agree....the talent pool in the Omaha, Millard, Bellview, Papillion (edit: AND La Vista) and Lincoln area alone is enough to field a decent sized Div. II.

I'm all for it. And if anyone ever does decide to start one up again...i'll be right there volunteering and doing whatever I can

PS: Was there a new Papillion HS built? I only recall one when I marched at GI

Edited by gumby5647

funny little story about the Railmen

When I finally left the Bridgemen and went out in the adult world I joined the AF. I got stationed in Omaha. So me and my wife (also an exBridgemen) moved on with our lives and started a family. So like any military guy making no money and having a new baby I went to get a job downtown in Bellevue. I started delivering pizza at night at Domino's. Well I became very good friends with a girl named Jeanette. Well me and my wife and Jeanette became good friends. After about a year I met her brother Mike. Now Mike started working at the Domino's with us. He even brought a girl with, him tall Blonde very pretty (but so many years later her name escapes me). Well we work together for some time.

and one night during the winter for some strange reason I wear my Bridgemen winter jacket into work. well When I tell you that all of the sudden my coworkers and now close friends have their jaws hit the floor and ask "where the heck did you get that jacket??!!!" My first reaction is the typical "another person that I have to explain DC to" Well I said it was this drum corps I marched in, well the two of them looked at each other knowing something I sure didn't.

It seems my friend Mike and the other girl (who after 17-18 years name escapes me) were the 2 drum majors of the Raimen and they needed this job to pay for tour in the summer!!!!!

talk about small world. I spent the rest of my time there talking "hot stove Drum Corps" all winter long with people that knew exactly what I was talking about for a change!!

The drum corps community is small. but you'll find them in the darndest places :)

Yeah, they built a new school, Papillion-La Vista South, just last year. They're more fine-arts oriented, so their sports teams stink :P , but their music programs are pretty good. Lots and lots of All-Staters from that area...it's one talented district :) .

JohnRic, you don't live in the Omaha area now, do you? Gumby, are you still in Nebraska? What do you do?

RAILLE, unfortuanately, no. But he moved to Sioux Falls Roosevelt and became a director there. Wow, he must have been good, we all know what he does with Roosevelt :rolleyes:

Gumby, I've never heard of him. I've only gone to the school for two years, though (I moved here after my sophomore year). The band program has gone under a lot of staff changes in the past years, though...

Edited by huskerman15

Bob Guinn....infamous Madison Scouts drum major from 97 who took the picture of the crowd and held up the pirate flag...all while the corps held out a chord....(25secs or something). Absolutely awesome.

Anyhoo...

He worked at Millard West with your percussion section back in the late 90's....

Bob Guinn....infamous Madison Scouts drum major from 97 who took the picture of the crowd and held up the pirate flag...all while the corps held out a chord....(25secs or something).  Absolutely awesome.

Anyhoo...

He worked at Millard West with your percussion section back in the late 90's....

Whoa! Dude, I love that show, and that moment was definately bada**:rolleyes:

I'll have to double check after spring break...