What Made The 70's, 80's And The 90's SO GOOD

We all have our own opinions of the 70's, 80;s, and the 90's, but what made your era so memorable to you?

What made the period of drum corps that you marched in so good? Was it the people, the music, the changes in the activity or something else? 

For me it was a lot of things, firstly it was the people that I marched with. I marched with a lot of people who had no experience in drum corps before they came to march, myself included. I at least had an idea of what I thought drum corps was about. I made friends with a lot of people and a lot of people I didn't talk to a whole lot but I still had respect for them.

Secondly, it was the activity in itself. Drum corps in the 70's was really HOT. Where I came from we had 15 different drum corps within a three hour drive of town and four in my home town of less then 100,000 people. Corps were popping up all over the place and it was great. You could go to any parade and find five to six drum & bugle corps in that parade alone.  Most if the kids in your corps were from the immediate area, true home town corps.

Thirdly, it was the travel. Where else could you belong to something and travel over 10,000 miles, IN A BUS, and see so much beautiful countryside for so little money. From the georgous rolling hills in northern Ontario to the sun drenched

beaches of Florida from the east coast to the west coast of the USA and Canada.

We live in a world with so much going on that you could very easily get lost in your own little world of drum & bugle corps and not even think of the real outside world.

Each decade has it's own difficulties and this current one is no different.

The only thing that we can count on is, that the time that you spend in drum

corps is over before you realize it. Enjoy it while you can because if you don't....

(POOF) you'll wish you did!!!    B)

In addition to all of this, which is spot on target, the 70s and 80s were a time of incredible experimentation and change in drum corps. The activity was touched by lots of genius in this period in all aspects of the activity. To be in the presence of a George Zingali, Jim Ott, Don Angelica, Bobby Hoffman, Steve Brubaker....(the list of those that forever changed the activity and are no longer with us goes on and on...) when they were at their peak and trying something that would stick with the activity from then on was truly magical!

:angel:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to all of this, which is spot on target, the 70s and 80s were a time of incredible experimentation and change in drum corps. The activity was touched by lots of genius in this period in all aspects of the activity. To be in the presence of a George Zingali, Jim Ott, Don Angelica, Bobby Hoffman, Steve Brubaker....(the list of those that forever changed the activity and are no longer with us goes on and on...) when they were at their peak and trying something that would stick with the activity from then on was truly magical! 

:angel:

^OO^ :angel:

WE made it so good.

Don't kid yourselves about OUR legacy! It was so good because WE were great performers!

Kids of today seem to forget that too. hee!

Awesome posts! I am loving this thread! :) I say I marched right in the period when things were evolving, innovations were constant.

The thing that made it so great for me? The PEOPLE that I marched with, the instructors who taught me and the family atmosphere that I still hold dear to my heart from both corps I marched with! :sumo: I'm so lucky to have been in two great drum and bugle corps! :) I am still close with both directors of both corps! :huh:

I was lucky and blessed to have been taught by some of the best instructors of all time! I will cherish that. :huh: Zingali, Dorritie, Lizotte...others that taught me from 27, Kevin, Terry, Bill, I could go on and on! :) :huh:

Edited by Lancerlady

What made the late 80's good for me was the fact that Class A and A-60 were coming into their own. Ventures, Northern Aurora, Limited Edition, Black Gold, L'Insolite, Railmen, Kiwanis Kavaliers, Emerald Knights, Blue Stars, Sancians, Mandarins, Americanos, Northmen, Pioneer and Bandettes, made it all exciting.

What a shame that very few of these corps are still active.

Best memories: Winning DCM Div. III two years in a row. Winning Prelims at DCI 2 years in a row.

Worst memories: Losing in Finals at DCI 2 years in a row and the DCM tour being hot as h@ll in '87 and '88.

Funniest memory: The look on people's faces when they found out Black people do get sunburns when my back blistered up in '89.

Priceless memory: The director at the time called me at home in Georgia and told me if I came to Iowa to march, he guaranteed I'd have the best time of my life.

He was right.

What made it so good? Three words:

1. The

2. Tic

3. System

Of course open to debate but I think you had to work harder NOT to make mistakes....especially glaring ones.

And, as always, this is not to say kids today do not work hard. I have nothing but respect for their hard work.

Whoooops! Sorry.....this is 70s and beyond....I marched 59-67.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Oh I know I'll forget some  :sshh:

During the 70s, Senior shows were held at (All within 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive from Harrisburg, PA).

Hershey (only one still operating)

Lewisburg (started back few years ago)

Danville (pre season exhibition)

Mount Carmel (moved to Danville in '76)

Mechanicsburg

Lewistown

Hanover

York

Carlisle (Westshores' home show)

Baltimore, MD (Yankee Rebels home show)

Reading (Buccs home show)

Norristown (Philly area)

And I'll bet, of all places, your corps vehicles never broke down once in Mechanicsburg. :D

And I'll bet, of all places, your corps vehicles never broke down once in Mechanicsburg. :D

OURS DID!! :sshh:

(While passing through on the way to someplace else!)

What made it so good?  Three words:

1. The

2. Tic

3. System

Of course open to debate but I think you had to work harder NOT to make mistakes....especially glaring ones. 

And, as always, this is not to say kids today do not work hard.  I have nothing but respect for their hard work.

Whoooops!  Sorry.....this is 70s and beyond....I marched 59-67.

RON HOUSLEY

Yeah, Used to HATE those after show critiques when you saw the tick on the sheet that said "2nd Mellophone-Right side" and you just king of slowly slinked down as your brass instructor burned a hole through your soul with his gaze.

You knew what you were going to be working on at 7:30 the next morning!! :(

STILL MISS IT!!!

I rode with the equipment truck (converted refridgerated van) in the 70s. Can't remember a breakdown but we had a tire blowout coming down the mountains on I-81 in Schuykill County. After changing our underwear we had to unload the truck to get to the spare. :sos:

With reminds me add to the list of Central PA shows:

Frackville (Schuykill Co.) (Red Carpet Association show)

Another great thing about the 70s/80s was the circuits for smaller corps so they had plenty of opportunity to perform. ^OO^

PS - I work in Mechanicsburg and lived there a few years. Yeah, you could have picked better places to break down. :P

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari