Who make's the best hornline instruments?

Chris_Sop_Beatrix

Who make's the best hornline instruments?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who make's the best hornline instruments?

• Kanstul
    • Dynasty
    • Yamaha
    • King

I voted kanstul for hornlines.

but i disagree with those who say schilke makes the best trumpets. i do agree with the above, bach strad is better but. i belive ithers are better than that

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dynasty trumpets sounding like screaming girls? 

[uh-huh]

I beg to differ. Listen to the BD trumpet section. Do they sound like screaming girls to you? [YES]

Oh, btw, they play on Dynasty horns.

[That (partially) explains it! (see below)]

And win brass 2 out of every 3 years.

Unless you are playing on an absolutely decrepid piece of garbage for an instrument,  [aka "Dynasty Bb trumpet,"] it really comes down to the player to make the horn speak properly.

Its all about the man behind the gun.

I'm sorry, but I really think the horn makes a difference. Do I think Dynasty horns sound like screaming girls? YES. Do I think there are hornlines playing Yamahas that sound like screaming girls and boys and bears and ugly monsters? YES. I believe it is a combination of instrument and player. If you're playing on a mouthpiece that is really just half a thimble with a pinhole poked in it, combined with a poor instrument that NOBODY in their right mind would play indoors (Dynasty Bb trumpet) AND somebody teaching you that allows you to make a sound that makes ears bleed, then IT'S GOING TO SOUND LIKE SCREAMING GIRLS.

I like the blue devils for what they are, but I admit that since they switched to Bb, their high brass sound awful. Sorry! Just my two cents...[

I'm sorry, but I really think the horn makes a difference.  Do I think Dynasty horns sound like screaming girls? YES.  Do I think there are hornlines playing Yamahas that sound like screaming girls and boys and bears and ugly monsters? YES.  I believe it is a combination of instrument and player.  If you're playing on a mouthpiece that is really just half a thimble with a pinhole poked in it, combined with a poor instrument that NOBODY in their right mind would play indoors (Dynasty Bb trumpet) AND somebody teaching you that allows you to make a sound that makes ears bleed,  then IT'S GOING TO SOUND LIKE SCREAMING GIRLS. 

I like the blue devils for what they are, but I admit that since they switched to Bb, their high brass sound awful.  Sorry!  Just my two cents...[

I found this post very funny! thank you for saying it out loud!

• 2 months later...
I hope you don't actually believe that.  While Schilke is very high quality, the Bach strad (post Mt. Vernon) as it is currently being made is at best a midrange pro trumpet.  In fact, the best Bach strad currently being produced is made by Kanstul as the ZKT15000B (Bach 37 bell, 25 leadpipe), ZKT1504 (Bach 72 Bell, 43 Leadpipe).

Here are some brands that are far supperior to the two above:

Blackburn

Taylor

Eclipse

Lawler

Monette

Flip Oaks

Callet

Marcinkiewicz

Calicchio

Kanstul (The signature collection only)

WOW.... I wish I knew of a corps that could shell out $2,000+ x 20-24 for any of those horns. A $50,000 trumpet section :ph34r: ..... WHY NOT!!! All of those horns, minus kanstul, are "botique" or special order(very expensive for the most part) instruments that the average drum corps kid probably doesnt know about... or care about. However... I personally love the Kanstul ZKT1504. I think Kanstul quite easily manafactures the best trumpets on the market as far as quality and value.

As far as drum corps goes... which i think the topic was anyways...

I will just comment on what I have marched with. King marching brass is very good... but it could be better. The trumpets are terrible <**> , it really just feels like a cheap piece of metal... nothing more! The mellos are superb. The baritones are also very good, but they are very out of tune and there is no way (adjustable/saddle slides) to correct intonation while playing <**> . The euphoniums are also superb. The contras are very nice and very well designed... But they are very fragile and break quite often under the stress of daily beating. <**>

Where is Olds LOL. They pioneered some awesome sweet maching brass, not just bugles.. Shame they are so hard to get now adays I'd love to see a corps field a line of redone Olds Brass. ::Proud owner of Olds Marching Trombone - Ambassador Cornet, Trumpet, and Slide Bone too::

Today I'd say King and Kanstul are on even ground for marching brass. Yamaha is marginally Decent, and dynasty, Drop the Dy and you have Nasty!!

Kanstul is really pumping out beautiful playing and Balanced equipment. For a smaller business to keep up with a corporate giant like King is amazing.

My two cents... For Free

My Vote went to Kanstul.. I Vote for what I own!

Edited by sonofjabba

As you look to the bugles in G. Then is absolutly Kanstul the best. Dynasty has(to my opinion) a too hard sharp sound. On a Kanstul you can better play high with the same full sound. And on a Dynasty as you play over a C3 it is like girls screaming. Some people thougt thats cool. But i find it not so beautiful.

Gr. Chris

Bugles in G are the best bet (IMO) because if you can teach a hornline to play their music... why cant you teach everyone how to play one a Bugle?

G bugles are louder, none-the-less, and even with harder tuning - once again the proper teaching from your instructors can fix this! The overtones still ring with the proper tuning (Thank you Jamie Gibbs and John Blickwedehl :P :P )

As for the Dynasty Bugles, I have played on both a Kanstul sop and Dynasty - personally - for Upperlead players, yes Kanstul Powerbores are better - but for the average player - the Dynasty horns are the best. I have played on a Dynasty Mellophone and a Kanstul - I prefere the Dynasty (personally). Currently I have a Dynasty Euphonium that I am learning to play on, and I love the tone that I can produce with it (and making my mom mad by playing it in the basement :music: )

Instruction wise, the staff at Statesmen (John Blickwedehl, Jamie Gibbs, and Joey Pero) have helped teached young high school kids and non music majors quite well how to play G Bugles, and the proper breathing needed to produce a good quality with these horns!

So take just a little more time at first on breathing and proper technique, and your hornline could be louder???

Would you take this - Of course... thats why G Bugles (ANY KIND) would ROCK MY SOCKS OFF :blink::huh::huh:

ANd if I EVER had to play a Bb anything or F Mello - it better be a KING! B)

Edited by spamula

Where is Olds LOL.  They pioneered some awesome sweet maching brass, not just bugles.. Shame they are so hard to get now adays I'd love to see a corps field a line of redone Olds Brass. ::Proud owner of Olds Marching Trombone - Ambassador Cornet, Trumpet, and Slide Bone too::

Today I'd say King and Kanstul are on even ground for marching brass. Yamaha is marginally Decent, and dynasty, Drop the Dy and you have Nasty!!

Kanstul is really pumping out beautiful playing and Balanced equipment. For a smaller business to keep up with a corporate giant like King is amazing.

My two cents... For Free

My Vote went to Kanstul.. I Vote for what I own!

In its day, OLDS was bigger than Conn-Selmer! They employed over 400 workers and made thousands of instruments each year. Zig Kanstul worked there 18 years, eventually running the factory. Those Olds bugles were his designs! Zig also pioneered upright pistons in bugles, changing the activity forever.

While working at King, Zig further advanced the production of marching brass. His designs were the inspiration for ALL modern marching brass. Period.

Manufacturing horns under his own name for the last 25 years, his innovations continue to impact the activity.

Bb vs. G -- for me, G. Better blend, not so bright, fatter sop sound and deeper contra sound.

Anyway, about brands, in the hornlines I've heard in person...

2-valve G: King, with Olds close behind.

3-valve G: Kanstul.

Bb/F: King, easily. They've gotten the best voice-to-voice blend so far; so good, actually, that I almost think that I'm hearing a G hornline if the players are doing well enough (this year's Crown hornline, for example). Kanstul's really close to them.

Yamaha and Dynasty still have problems in breaking apart badly at their limits. Gino's hornlines just blow right past them, and BD & Cavaliers stay on the safe & clean side, becoming quieter in the process (sorry, but that's true; decibel-for-decibel, BD has been softer since 2000).

The question should be -- who makes the most consistent brasswinds? Consistency, having similar intonation & response tendencies from once specimen to the next, is very helpful in getting a hornline to play as an ensemble.

Can't say that I'm any too impressed with Dynasty. We had several brand new Dynasty horns suffer breakdowns. One of our Euphoniums blew out the lead pipe on his horn! That never happened with Olds.

As far as euphs go I like the King 1129. I had the oppertunity to play a demo version of the 1129 euph and really liked it. As far as baris go: I like the way the Yamaha plays, nice feel, great intonation, and tone. The only problem with the Yamaha is the valve throw is a bit too long.

My personal rankings:

Bari:

1. Yamaha-fix the valve throw and it would be perfect.

2. Kanstul-sound is a bit bright for my taste, but has solid intonation.

3. King-flat low range between f and low Bb.

4. Dynasty-The old ones over blow easily. I haven't played the newest version yet.

Euphs:

1. King-plays very much like a concert euph, solid from top to bottom.

2. Kanstul-the biggest euph made and it is a beast of an instrument, but the sound gets a bit edgy.

3. Dynasty-has some intonation issues above the staff and felt a bit stuffy in the low range.

According to my brasswind catalog King Ultimate Series is the most expensive line available and Dynasty is the least expensive.