Things We'd Like to See

First of all, I'm not "trashing" what you want to see, I am mearly stating my opinion.

Really? Here is what you said in response to my posts:

This forum is about DRUM CORPS not MARCHING BAND, electronics in the pit??? Thats why you march in MARCHING BAND! No woodwinds no electronics, DRUMS and BUGLES!!!! Thats why it's called DRUM and BUGLE CORPS!!!

...and in a subsequent post, you said....

And again.... if thats what you want to see... go to a marching band show!!

Sorry , but I don't see much personal opinion on what you would like to see...I see you attacking and trashing what I'D like to see.

I would like to see the tic system come back, I would like to see color guards in uniform not costumes, I would like to see color guards march, not dance, I would like to see the concert section put back into shows, I would like to see the drum section solo put back into shows, I would like to see the nationals squad on the field, I would like to see horn lines playing back field,

Now that is a personal opinion on what you would like to see...IMO

I wanna see DRUM CORPS! not MARCHING BAND!!!! :music:

Depends on what you consider drum corps to be. IMO it isn't based on just the instruments. Some of the instruments legal when YOU marched Anaheim would have been unheard of 15 years before you marched...

Mike

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you consider drum corps to be. IMO it isn't based on just the instruments. Some of the instruments legal when YOU marched Anaheim would have been unheard of 15 years before you marched...

Mike

Lets see......Drum and Bugle Corps

drum ( P ) Pronunciation Key (drm)

n.

1. A percussion instrument consisting of a hollow cylinder or hemisphere with a membrane stretched tightly over one or both ends, played by beating with the hands or sticks.

2. A sound produced by this instrument.

bu·gle1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bygl)

n. Music

A brass wind instrument somewhat shorter than a trumpet

corps ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kôr, kr)

n. pl. corps (kôrz, krz)

A body of persons acting together or associated under common direction.

Nope......no listing in the dictionary about woodwinds or electronics included in the diffinition of DRUM and BUGLE CORPS.

I remember when Marching Bands wanted to copy Drum and Bugle Corps and now Drum and Bugle Corps seem to want to copy Marching Bands.

GABA

Scary, isn't it?

drum    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (drm)

n.

1. A percussion instrument consisting of a hollow cylinder or hemisphere with a membrane stretched tightly over one or both ends, played by beating with the hands or sticks.

bu·gle1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (bygl)

n. Music

corps    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (kôr, kr)

n. pl. corps (kôrz, krz)

Nope......no listing in the dictionary about woodwinds or electronics included in the diffinition of DRUM and BUGLE CORPS.

I remember when Marching Bands wanted to copy Drum and Bugle Corps and now Drum and Bugle Corps seem to want to copy Marching Bands.

GABA

THANK YOU!!!!!....for the back up! :music:

drum    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (drm)

n.

bu·gle1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (bygl)

n. Music

corps    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (kôr, kr)

n. pl. corps (kôrz, krz)

GABA

No mention of mallets in your definition of 'drum', and color guards do not guard the colors anymore.

Plus, the definition you quoted of a bugle hardly fits bugles from the 50's on up.

The definition of "corps" is instrument-independent as well.

What's your point?

Mike

The point is, Mike, most of us don't want to see amplification or woodwinds in drum and bugle corps.

I think he made the point very clear.

The point is, Mike, most of us don't want to see amplification or woodwinds in drum and bugle corps.

I think he made the point very clear.

Hey Mike, is this an "attack"?? :blink:

No mention of mallets in your definition of 'drum', and color guards do not guard the colors anymore.

This is very sad but true, I would love to see a Drum and Bugle Corps pay respect to our colors once again. As for Mallets, I would think they fall in the Percussion section, maybe I am wrong.....maybe all Orchestras are wrong to put them there.

Plus, the definition you quoted of a bugle hardly fits bugles from the 50's on up.

This is also kind of true, I had seen and played  Bugles as long as 4 feet. I believe a bugle is constructed differently then a trumpet, it has a conical bore. A Flugle Horn is more closely related.

The definition of "corps" is instrument-independent as well.

I agree, but if you read the definition as it relates to the Whole in Drum and Bugle Corps, you should see that it would encompass the Drums and Bugles. Think about it like the Peace Corps, The Marine Corps, The Diplomatic Corps etc....

What's your point?

Mike

My point is that Drum and Bugle Corps were founded to be Primarily Brass instruments and Percussion Instruments. Marching Bands are just that, Bands. I have nothing against Bands, in fact I belong to 2 of them. Boy, that sounds funny, some of my best friends are in bands......sorry.

If Drum Corps International wants to add Woodwinds and Electronics to the field, then they should develop an additional division which highlights that, Oh wait, then that would mean they would be in direct competition with Bands Across America. ....Hmmmm.

GABA

If Drum Corps International wants to add Woodwinds and Electronics to the field, then they should develop an additional division which highlights that, Oh wait, then that would mean they would be in direct competition with Bands Across America. ....Hmmmm

Actually, that is exactly what I have suggested many times here in DCP... an "anything goes" division where any istrumentation and size be permitted.

It would not be in competition with BOA any more than DCI is today...BOA is a series of HS band competitions set in the fall.

The point about mallets is that while you defined the word 'drum', it in no way included the mallet family of instruments, which have been around drum corps for decades. The term D&B Corps has been expanded over the years. No reason it can't be expanded yet again...IMO.

Actually, being conical a bugle is closer to a cornet than a trumpet.

As for the colors, if the show calls for a color pre type of spot, I'm all for it. Even in MY day corps were getting away from the color pre concept. Some kept the concept but used phony flags to aviod any hint of a flag violation, in fact.

This thread is about people saying what they want to see, so your desires are perfectly valid ones...not ones that I would agree to, but still valid from your own POV.

Take care,

Mike

I'd like to see more countermarches...i'd like drum corps to start facing the end zones instead of the stands...screw these arcs and stuff... :blink: