The DCI Yearlys: 1983

Pretty compelling numbers...but what does it all MEAN, Spock?!?!

It means, to me, the Knights had an outstanding, competitive product in 1983, as well as 1982, but were not rewardd for it..ie: they got screwed in 83, as well as 82........Check the scores the week before DCI MIdwest and after in 82 also, much more dramatic.

the 1983 Knights were extremely misscored for some reason, they deserved a highler placement.

~G~

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If true, do we know why the Knights were singled out/picked on? Did their mgm't have a falling out with the DCI judging community? Anyone have any info?

They weren't singled out. Argonauts won every show in the Pacific Northwest first tour, beating even the dying Imperials.

A DCI sponsored parade in 115 degree heat, our staff decided we would march in corps t-shirts instead of the new hot and heavy cadet uniforms. DCI told us we "would never win a show for the rest of the season".

But hey, at least they TOLD us.

Two days after DCI finals, on our way home, season is over. We stop in Casper to do the Troopers show. We beat them.

But hey, at least they TOLD us.

jd83

That sounds a lot like Regiments unoficial corps creed. We may not win, but we're going to make you wonder why.

Incidently, I did march in the corps, just so you know I'm not comming from the outside and saying that.

They weren't singled out.  Argonauts won every show in the Pacific Northwest first tour, beating even the dying Imperials.

Two days after DCI finals, on our way home, season is over.  We stop in Casper to do the Troopers show.  We beat them.

But hey,  at least they TOLD us.

Comparing the Argonauts and their plight to the Knights in 1983 is like comparing a 757 to a piper cub :worthy:

There was actually some cries of political foul and there are many stories around, one even published in the issues of DCW. I'll have to search and dig it out.

Argonauts were not in the thick of finals competition, they did not see their score drop every night over a two week period (give or take) while their closest competitors surpassed them.......

..........and, just curious, how many holes did the Troopers have that night ??

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

Comparing the Argonauts and their plight to the Knights in 1983 is like comparing a 757 to a piper cub :worthy:

There was actually some cries of political foul and there are many stories around, one even published in the issues of DCW. I'll have to search and dig it out.

Argonauts were not in the thick of finals competition, they did not see their score drop every night over a two week period (give or take) while their closest competitors surpassed them.......

..........and, just curious, how many holes did the Troopers have that night ??

~G~

now that's just not fair! We weren't a piper cub. And the troopers had no holes. It was their hometown show.

What does it matter in size of corps? Are you going to now deny my dedication to my corps because it wasn't a top twelve? We DID associate. We tried VERY hard to achieve a level of performance so that we could compete with the big boys and politics took it away from us. We shouldn't be hurt by that?

That comment was very unfair. We spent four years with a corps of very dedicated young people to the activity. It was OUR turn. We beat everyone on first tour.

Reminds me of the time a year earlier when blue devils were yelling out their buses "YOU SUCK". Just a total lack of class.

EDIT: to clarify. We were good. We knew we were. Audiences on their feet at us, etc... People staying after our performance to watch the warm down tune. It just didn't make sense that our scores fell. But we were told that they would. It devastated us. But our care shifted to the fans, and we made it through.

Edited by apoch003

jd83

That sounds a lot like Regiments unoficial corps creed.  We may not win, but we're going to make you wonder why.

Incidently, I did march in the corps, just so you know I'm not comming from the outside and saying that.

Unless you only marched in '96, you know that from experience. When did you march? Checking your sig, you're a Buick. Awesome! I was a Regiment euph player, too.

SUTA!!!!!

now that's just not fair!  We weren't a piper cub.  And the troopers had no holes.  It was their hometown show.

The Argonauts were nowhere close to being in the same league as Troopers. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Search for Argonauts on this page

What does it matter in size of corps?  Are you going to now deny my dedication to my corps because it wasn't a top twelve?  We DID associate. 

When I marched in the Blue Devils B corps.....we beat Vanguard in marching (different division). Did we believe we were better than Vanguard? Not in our wildest dreams.

We tried VERY hard to achieve a level of performance so that we could compete with the big boys and politics took it away from us.  We shouldn't be hurt by that?

First, name a corps that did not try hard. Second, name any corps that did not get the spot they felt they deserved without throwing out the "it was politics" card.

That comment was very unfair.  We spent four years with a corps of very dedicated young people to the activity. It was OUR turn.  We beat everyone on first tour. 

And this is the huge falacy. Comparing the competitive aspect of corps on first tour in Washington, Oregon, and California is not indicative of your competitiveness with corps east of Sacramento. Sorry. Blue Devils beat everybody in California as well.....and we lost to Garfield. Relevance? Zero.

It's also misleading to imply that beating Seattle Imperials meant something in 83. Seattle chose not to do the full summer tour due to the huge distance from Seattle to Miami (opposite corners of the country). Not touring obviously had an impact on their recruiting and their ability to function since they ceased to exist in 83. We had quite a few Seattle types in our corps as I'm sure SCV and others did.

Reminds me of the time a year earlier when blue devils were yelling out their buses "YOU SUCK".  Just a total lack of class.

This is what prompted me to respond. There is no way anybody in our corps would've said that to another corps. Sorry. Would somebody have yelled this to a friend from another corps...absolutely.

I recall from a previous thread you brought this up and you stated this was directed to your corps. If you honestly think the Blue Devils felt compelled to yell negative remarks to your corps...well...I can't argue with you. Being non-supportive of west coast corps was simply not in our blood. This could be easily proven by reading the 1981 and 1982 threads, specifically the responses I have posted as well as abgiles from SCV.

The only thing we yelled from our windows was "Toll booths suck". Unless you're a toll booth or looked like one......well.....

EDIT:  to clarify.  We were good.  We knew we were.  Audiences on their feet at us, etc...  People staying after our performance to watch the warm down tune.  It just didn't make sense that our scores fell. 

Scores from scorpsboard.com

• Whitewater - July 30 - Argonauts 47.25 Troopers 64.65 Spread nearly 20 points
  • Michigan City - July 31 - Argonauts 48.05
  • Toledo - August 1 Argonauts 42.95
  • Louisville - August 6 Argonauts 40.55
  • Grand Haven - August 7 60.5 (this must've been the right score, no?)
  • Ottawa - August 7 73.8

My question would be....why isn't the 20 to 33 point jump questionable??

I don't see that you guys even made top 25?? Looking at the corps you competed against all of your scores were high. Seems like you were all in a different division on a different scoring system. That couldn't be the reason the staff told you the scores would drop come Nats week, could it?

By the way, in Ottawa you beat Pioneer by two points. Pioneer scored 71.6 to your 73.8. Looks like a show of Div II or Div III level corps.

Two days later Pioneer scored 39.5 when in a show of of Div II level corps (Colts, Pride of Cincinatti - 59.5)

Pride of Cincinatti took 25th with a 56.65 at DCI Prelims. Troopers placed 15th with 76.85.

I'm curious to think what posses you to believe you were capable of beating Troopers??

Based on scoring and the corps grouped in those scores, it seems rather obvious what was happening with the scores (i.e. different scoring system for your level). I'm sure you would like to believe that you were capable of beating Troopers and that a corps that did not make top 25 should've placed 14th or 15th.

On top of that, I truly believe that you think the Blue Devils would've taken the time to taunt your corps. A defending DCI Champion yelling taunts to a west coast corps that's scoring 50 points below them. I'm sorry, this did not happen.

Edited by bd5times