the DCI Yearlys: 1985

1985....my fifth and final year in the Blue Devils.

The coolest thing about the 1985 season is my sister joined the corps to march with me. She and I marched together in the 81 and 82 Blue Devils. After the 82 season, she decided to take a couple of years off.

So...we went to the camps together, toured together and all the while I thought she wanted to march. At DCI Finals retreat, after the scores were announced, my sister came up to me to tell me she marched the season for this moment. To be with me the moment I aged out.

I was blown away.

We started and ended our Blue Devil A corps careers together. We won and lost our first shows together. We won and lost our first DCI's together. We appeared in our first and final DCI Finals performances together.

.....At DCI Finals retreat, after the scores were announced, my sister came up to me to tell me she marched the season for this moment.  To be with me the moment I aged out.

I was blown away.

We started and ended our Blue Devil A corps careers together.  We won and lost our first shows together.  We won and lost our first DCI's together.  We appeared in our first and final DCI Finals performances together.

Wow - a story for the ages. What a family - to be able to share that memory. Gets me right in the ticker. I hope life treats you both well and with continued happiness.

1985....my fifth and final year in the Blue Devils. 

The coolest thing about the 1985 season is my sister joined the corps to march with me.  She and I marched together in the 81 and 82 Blue Devils. After the 82 season, she decided to take a couple of years off. 

So...we went to the camps together, toured together and all the while I thought she wanted to march.  At DCI Finals retreat, after the scores were announced, my sister came up to me to tell me she marched the season for this moment.  To be with me the moment I aged out.

I was blown away.

We started and ended our Blue Devil A corps careers together.  We won and lost our first shows together.  We won and lost our first DCI's together.  We appeared in our first and final DCI Finals performances together.

Hey Robert....

That's a great story. Your sister is a special person....you're a lucky man.

The coolest thing about the 1985 season is my sister joined the corps to march with me.  She and I marched together in the 81 and 82 Blue Devils. After the 82 season, she decided to take a couple of years off.

You've told this story before, but I never get tired of reading it. So many wonderful memories the two of you share!

What I remember from you telling about this story before is that you said your sister had literally taken a couple of years off. Meaning that she hadn't touched a piece of guard equipment during that entire time. Then she suddenly decides she wants to march guard again, and bang! There she is, just as ready as if she'd been doing guard the entire time. Pretty amazing!

Meaning that she hadn't touched a piece of guard equipment during that entire time.

Yeap...she did not think about drum corps at all. I don't even know if she went to any shows during her time off.

She's the type that is very up front. I have this vision of her going up to Jay Murphy and Stacey Lynde saying "I'm marching this year...when's camp" as opposed to "Can I march this year".

Stacey (who was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame) was the guard instructor for the Blue Devils B corps when my sister was in the corps and Stacey's first year teaching the A corps was my sisters first year in the A corps. So.....the staff had known my sister for quite some time.

Whenever I check out a Blue Devils rehearsal, Jay always asks about my sister. I need to drag her down to a rehearsal.....

Edited by bd5times

Yeap...she did not think about drum corps at all.  I don't even know if she went to any shows during her time off.

Who is it, BDLegend whose sister marched in SCV while he marched in BD? He also had a very nice story to tell.

Stacey (who was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame) was the guard instructor for the Blue Devils B corps when my sister was in the corps and Stacey's first year teaching the A corps was my sisters first year in the A corps.  So.....the staff had known my sister for quite some time.

I remember Stacey Lynde from the two-volume guard videotapes BD did in the early '80s. I wore those tapes out showing them to my guards. Would your sister be on those tapes?

Smores anyone.......

'85 was more than just smores for BD.

It was the year we ate like Troopers after the fire. Hot plates and Roy Rogers anyone?

It was the year we had several people end up in the hospital for stiches while on first tour.

It was the several hours in the desert near Wendover, NV because of a cracked engine block. (Years later I was driving through the area and pointed out the spot where we were stuck in those many years ago. The look I received was a, "I guess you had to be there look." Then I got the, "do you need to leave flowers for you lost youth" comment.

And wouldn't you know it just outside Wendover a tire exploded on the truck I was driving. We spent several hours looking at the salt flats waiting for the correct tire size to be delivered.)

And I still remember Jon bent in half walking to the car at Stillwater on his way to the hospital. And with mentioning Stillwater, SHHHHHHHH...

It was the year of the first, and only, time I lost to Madison.

It was the year it rained on us in Canada.

It was the year of the orange cone at prelims.

Edited by jbl

Good LORD 1985 was hot!! SIZZLING!! We were on south tour...here's what I remember....barely....

--VK's "Peter Gunn" being THE song of the season, and everyone, even those guys in BLUE up north, wanting to be in OUR hornline!

--VK loaning BD our pretty drums for the show in Illinois after the fire. ROCKING!!!

--VK doing south tour that year, and going from a score in the low 70's one night to a 58 in Oklahoma. 58!! That would be the number after 57!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah....good job judges.

--VK coming in 9th at Allentown with all the top 12, and we were knocking on PR's door, only to get cocky and stop rehearsing effectively and dropping to 11th by the time Madison came around.

--Seeing fireflies for the first time in my life in the park outside of J. Birney Crum stadium.

--Performing at Olympic Stadium for a baseball crowd that was about 4 miles away. If they applauded (which I'm sure they didn't--they're CANADIAN!), we didn't hear it.

--We got beat by......WHO?????????????????? "It's A SMALL WORLD???" Are you KIDDING!?!?!?!

--Freelancers cartoon in their bus window with Goofy dressed up in a VK uniform and the caption reading, "We're getting beat by THIS???" Fricken' Freelancers!

--The Mass Brass at Minneapolis! That ROCKED!

--State Street. Free night. Madison. Me. Beer. Pizza. I was loud. VERY loud.

--My idiot bus driver older brother breaking the ranks of the Troopers at DATR in Denver, and almost getting his d###### beat up. He was schooled quick on drum corps rules.

--Bayonne High School. Scariest high school on the planet. No offense. But it was.

And for Spanky--I thought the contra that barfed at finals was an idiot MALE contra player. I didn't realize the female had barfed as well. Isn't that lovely. Two barfing VK contras. Lovely.

Good LORD 1985 was hot!!  SIZZLING!!  We were on south tour...here's what I remember....barely....

--VK's "Peter Gunn" being THE song of the season, and everyone, even those guys in BLUE up north, wanting to be in OUR hornline! 

Maybe on the west coast, but THE song of the summer was certainly "Midnight in Miami"...

B)