the DCI Yearlys: 1985

My God I totally forgot about Catherine!!! She was a total hottie :angry::wub:...I think every pit wanted her to instruct them :angry:...(Sorry Sam..LOL)

Yeah....all I had to look at were Wayne Downey, Jack Meehan, and Dave Carico.... :P

No one....NO ONE...looked better on finals night than Catherine!

I must say, '85 was an eventful year for Spirit...... In a year I almost left the corps because our "horn guy" (corps director Freddy Martin) was taking a year off (his wife was due with their second child the week of finals), we chose a show I despised at the time and I didn't immediately "jive" with the new horn guy (Ray Baumgardt of Madison Scout fame), it's a year I look back on quite fondly now.

In the early summer, I was to meet a cute little redhead in the guard that would several years later become my wife. (Some will probably remember "Raggedy Ann and Andy" as they were dubbed in Drum Corps World, that was my wife to be, Ginger and Jim Moore who would later go on to a wonderful career with Cadets and Blast)

A show (Concerto in F) that I truly despised at the time, I grew to love years later; and while Ray B never "jelled" with the rest of the staff and the members, I did learn a great deal from him during that year. I had the chance to reconnect and thank him for what he gave us years later shortly before his death.

As for our guard, they were phenomenal, and even though they P.O'd. the hornline and drumline at times (playing hacky sack, going to the mall and eating ice cream from the ice cream truck while we were being beat to death in rehearsal) we came to understand the philosophy that led them to rehearse in that way. That truly was an incredible amalgmation of talent in the membership and in the staff in that given year.

As for finals.......

snip.......Between that, the outcome the next night, and the added fiasco of "may we have your attention please, there has been a tabulation error" booming from the PA system which resulted in our color guard having to endure even greater heartbreak and relinquish the High CG trophy to Spirit after the placings were announced, '85 was the year I think least about, followed by '83. 

We truly felt for your kids..... and I cannot imagine any other corps that would have handled that with the grace with which SCV did.

Not sure if any of you guys ever realized what happened. There wasn't truly any tabulation error..... The recap at the time had the top six on one side and the bottom six on another sheet. They didn't bother to turn the sheet over to look for a possible champion in anything assuming that no one finishing out of the top six might actually win any captions (normally a realistic thought)...... Our staff was on the way to the announcers table when Shirley Whitcomb came out of the stands to correct the error.

A great year for a good many corps and a show I came to appreciate more as the years went by..... sure am glad I made the decision to say...... my life would have most certainly been quite different otherwise.

Later, AA

That's right I forgot he was going to Julliards at time... no wonder he was so incredible :angry:

I used to talk to him and watch him play just to get pointers...didn't know about him memorizing other parts...that's hot....of course when I went to Berklee a few years later I had to change my whole style :angry:

I remember that he came back from school in '84 and was using some new grip for double mallets that his instructor had shown him. Catherine liked it and had the rest of the pit copy it.

In '84 he had learned the Cadets show so well that it was difficult to tell the difference between him and the Cadets' date=' until he started to add to his version.

During those years the competition was always for 2nd...he had the top spot locked...[/qoute]

In 84 or 85 I don't remember which year exactly but when he was asked to set up for I & E he rolled his keyboard to the edge of the judges table. Then asked if he was close enough.

Wonder what's he's doing now....it would be funny if he's still lives in NYC...that's where I live

About a year or so ago I exchanged some emails with him and he said he was living in the NYC area at the time.

Edited by jbl

Yeah....all I had to look at were Wayne Downey, Jack Meehan, and Dave Carico.... :P

Come on Sam you liked looking at Jack do a half lotus. :)

:angry::angry::lol::beer::wub:

A true pit Goddess... :P

I also vaguely remember meeting martha (aka marthonius j. gleason) from scv... a very cool person from what i remember

1985 is still my favorite year ever. I think it's the most entertaining year DCI has ever seen top to bottom. Some of my favorite, and not so favorite memories were:

Favorites:

1). Madison utterly kicking the #### out of Phantom the first time they met.

2). Cavies beating Phantom. It was truly shocking.

3). Phantom - to be frank, they totally sucked in the beginning of the year. They were just terrible. Who wouldn't be with that demanding show. But, by the time finals came around they rocked. I absolutely love this show. It is still my favorite Phantom show ever. What they did with that show during the course of the season was amazing. My hat is off to them! It is one of the most under-rated shows IMO.

4). Madison beating Garfield at DCI Midwest Finals.

Not so favorites:

1). Madison or Santa Clara not winning Finals. 6 tenths separated 1st from 4th in Semis and I waas really hoping one of them would pull it off. I was crushed when it didn't happen. That year, I fell in love with Santa Clara after watching their practices during finals week. They were so professional, determined, and classy. Garfield was definitely the best corps finals night, but I still wish my two favorites would have been 1-2.

3). Phantom - to be frank, they totally sucked in the beginning of the year.  They were just terrible.  Who wouldn't be with that demanding show.  But, by the time finals came around they rocked.  I absolutely love this show.  It is still my favorite Phantom show ever.  What they did with that show during the course of the season was amazing.  My hat is off to them!  It is one of the most under-rated shows IMO.

I was blown away when we beat Cavies and Phantom in brass at our debut show in Normal, Illinois. (what a way to start!)

We met up with them a few times in the early season and it seemed like PR had bitten off more than they could chew. We referred to their show as "Symphony Mediocre" for the entire first tour because it just seemed that they'd never tame the beast.

By the middle of second tour, they had really started to pull away from the bottom of the top 12 and move up. They left us in the dust when we met up with them again after not seeing them for a while. I can only imagine the effort that went into maturing that show into what everyone saw on finals night. I still listen to this show on a semi-regular basis and wonder what would have happened if they had only had one more week to refine it further.

:angry: :angry: '85 Phantom

Jeremiah Symphony. HOLY COW!!! I never knew something like that could be pulled off on a football field. Unbelievable.

True, though what really stands out in my mind is their performance of "Candide." I know it had been done before (and since), but this version, both musically and visually, set the standard which, IMO, will be extremely difficult to surpass.