Cavaliers 2005 Show

"On the field, from Rosemont IL... The GREEN Devils?" B)

sounds more to me like... "On the field, from Rosemont IL... playing the introduction... the GREEN Cadets.... playing the opener the Cavaliers... playing Hope spring eternal Bluecoats... playing the Fire SCV.. playing the ballad Phantom Regiment.. and playing the closer the GREEN devils..."

I think that's better...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The final movement is known right now as “Blues”.  This piece is about as un-Cavalier-like as you can imagine.  Walking bass contras, plunger mute solo, some incredible blues playing and a knock-out “shout” section with an extended drum break where Mr. Gaines can work his magic.  The show ends with a knock-em-down loud ending, something the corps hasn’t done in quite a while.  I really can’t wait to see this on the field!

I had to quote this and point it out again... this section is really going to knock some socks off.. Not your father's Cavaliers, indeed!!

I also have to say that the fire movement is unreal.. every time they played it, I could feel my anxiety building as they music worked it's way to the climax.. and the Amazing Grace references are completely breathtaking.

Now Rich.. were you there on Saturday?? I was there on Saturday (all day)! I was sitting in the stands during music rehearsal sewing hats.

And for the record, it is an absolute joy to watch Scott Koter teach jazz history. Really.

This show is shaping up quite nicely.

Stef

MY GOSH!!!!! THE TOLEDO SHOW CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!!!!! :blink::beer::huh:

In the second movement is called “Hope Springs Eternal”, a reference to Chicago baseball.  It starts with Ponty’s “Jig”, but has baseball references and other music cleverly woven throughout the piece.  You hear the tympani play the first six notes of the “Star Spangled Banner”, the pit plays “charge” and there are other baseball references that give you the feel of a lazy afternoon day game in Wrigley Field.  Visually, it is quick moving and has the entire guard on rifle.  The visual highpoint is the corps forms a diamond and play some mean jazzy licks (including the baritone line playing “Shortin’ Bread”) with several guard members coming up and “batting” with their rifles.  I loved the reference to “the called shot” – Babe Ruth’s 1932 World Series called homer in Wrigley Field.  It’s all very clever and entertaining.  Looking forward to seeing what they do with the costumes for this movement.

What about DA BEARS!!! Can we get a Super Bowl Shuffle over here?

Where have I heard this before...

'92 Star anyone?

This sounds like an awesome show. I wonder if we'll get a "fire alarm" siren (i.e. '91 Scouts, '91 SCV,'96 BD) in this one.

Yes but, the question is: in 2005................are the 2 sets of tympani set 30 yards away from each other and still playing in unison??

<_<