Seems silly to me that by allowing yourself the opportunity to experience different corps programs from the inside would not be seen as a good thing. I have marched with many people over the years who, like you, will only march with one corps. Often times I find these same individuals very short sighted as to the nature of what each drum corp's program can teach you. That is, of course, if you desire to make yourself a better player/performer.

"That is, of course, if you desire to make yourself a better player/performer."

This comment made me laugh. The reality is I reached my peak as a player / performer during my years as a Buccaneer. I don't know your drum corps background but the sarcasm in your comment leads me to believe you have not experienced being in a champion corps. I am proud to have been a member of one of the best hornlines EVER, junior or senior.....1981 Reading Bucs.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am proud to have been a member of one of the best hornlines EVER, junior or senior.....1981 Reading Bucs.

I"LL DRINK TO THAT!!!!! :mmm:

Sorry Liz, I disagree with you. It has nothing to do with any kind of tradition. What you may see as "silliness and stubborness", others see as loyalty, which is what the original post from Gige was talking about. I don't feel like I have denied myself anything by choosingnot march with anybody else. I have now been a part of three national champion corps...Blue Rock, the Bucs, and as a volunteer with Magic of Orlando in '02. I still remain active as a volunteer and avid fan. For me, the only thing that could make it better would be the opportunity to march in Reading again and win another DCA title.

to each their own

if i moved 1,500 miles away and still wanted to march i wouldn't think twice about it. being a guard member is something that will always be a part of me, a very, very important part. i consider myself incredibly lucky to have found a new corps family that i consider wonderful.

i considered myself loyal to my former corps for the 10 years i was around and a part of them. but they have moved on with their world, i needed to move on with mine as well.

Hmm, wondering how the day I almost joined another corps fits into this. When I joined WSM I was looking for a place where I could keep playing horn when I got outta HS (community college I was going to had no marching band :P ). Joining a DC starting at the bottom was a good fit and really enjoyed working up the ranks while in school. After I graduated college I ended up with a job where I worked rotating shifts and doing corps was impossible. In 1982 I finally got a job with normal hours and could do corps again. At this time WSM was kicking serious butt and the amount of effort needed there was light years ahead of when I was marching. After a LOT of thought I decided that corps was a lot lower on my priority list than it used to be so I decided to check out a corps that was lower on the totem pole.

Started driving to one of that corps rehearsal and changed my mind of the way.

Now I wish I could remember why.... :worthy:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

When I marched, the people around me were like family and they would have done anything for me or for the Corps.  That unity is what creates great Drum Corps.  Without the unquestionable loyalty to the group, I don't think that we would have had the dedication to become as good as we did. 

I can understand it if you have to move to another part of the Country, or if your Corps folds and are forced to change Corps.  I can also understand wanting to move up to a better level of competition.  However, I can not understand changing from one Corp to rival Corp in the same region.  Unfortunately for you, the sense of family and commitment to the group must have been missing from your Drum Corp experience(s) or else you would understand the loyalty that I felt during my years in Reading.

I BLEED BLUE,

Gige  :ramd:

Gige,

I know where you're coming from, yet, I've experienced that wonderful "family" feeling in EVERY corps that I've ever marched in. As you can see by my signature, I have families in Hawthorne, (Muchachos, and Caballeros); Bayonne, Bridgemen, Bridgemen Alumni); and Harrison, (Bushwackers). In addition, I served as DM for the Long Island Sunrisers for a few months in the spring of 1981, & the people there were also very warm, & accommodating, just like my other families. In 1979, I spent a few weeks after DCI's, travelling with the 27th Lancers. I even marched, & played mellophone with them in Disney World, &, yes, I was treated like a family member. The Sunrisers, & "27" were very short-term experiences, yet the members welcomed me with open arms!

I can HONESTLY say that each organization (and the people involved with each one) holds a very special place in my heart. The respective people involved with each drum corps were terrific, as were their intensity levels!

The "sense of family and commitment" has been present in EVERY corps that I've marched with during my lifetime.

What I'm trying to say is that, we're all "cut from the same cloth". Drum corps people are a very rare, and special breed. I have had many experiences in life, particularly in music, as a teacher, performer, and bandleader.

What I've learned is that drum corps people are really different from "other" people in the world. Our drum corps "family" is made up of very caring, passionate, AND compasionate individuals. I wasn't totally convinced of this phenomenon until the rebirth of the Bridgemen Drum & Bugle Corps, when this fact was once again driven home to me. I know the feeling that you described, we all do. And we are very fortunate and blessed, in my opinion, to be a part of this wonderful activity!

While I can understand (and respect) your perspective on corps "loyalty", I also realize that there will always be differing opinions in this world. If people choose to experience different drum corps, that is their prerogative.

For these individuals, it would appear that they are expanding their horizons, in a different sense, (not better, just different), than if they stayed with the same corps. (As Kevin stated)

If circumstances dictate that you're unable to march with the one corps that you're loyal to, I would strongly consider investigating another corps that might present a reasonable alternative. As Liz stated, why deny yourself something that you love to do? After all, you might be pleasantly surprised, and you might even discover another WONDERFUL family to add to the one that bleeds BLUE!!!

Many of the posts here have talked primarily about winning. Well, of course it's a GREAT feeling to be a part of a winning drum corps, but, I've gotta say, the BEST part for me has been knowing, and associating with the people that I have met throughout my entire drum corps experience!

Good luck to you, and to everyone, this season!!!

Well jump in this year, from the reviews I've read they're heading that direction!!!

back to our original topic...already in process...

--snip--

For me, the only thing that could make it better would be the opportunity to march in Reading again and win another DCA title.

"That is, of course, if you desire to make yourself a better player/performer."

This comment made me laugh. The reality is I reached my peak as a player / performer during my years as a Buccaneer. I don't know your drum corps background but the sarcasm in your comment leads me to believe you have not experienced being in a champion corps. I am proud to have been a member of one of the best hornlines EVER, junior or senior.....1981 Reading Bucs.

"chuckle" I'm just really happy for you and your level of perfection.

:rock:

Edited by Windsor

Ring Leader....

It seems like we've hit a nerve talking about how much we loved our Corp. Could it be that you were not happy with your Corp(s) and never quite fit in?

Does someone need a HUG........

Lighten up, maybe this is why you used to sit in the front seat of the bus by yourself!!

:lol:

Peace, Love and Drum Corp...

Gige

Ring Leader....

It seems like we've hit a nerve talking about how much we loved our Corp.  Could it be that you were not happy with your Corp(s) and never quite fit in? 

Does someone need a HUG........

Lighten up, maybe this is why you used to sit in the front seat of the bus by yourself!!

:lol:

Peace, Love and Drum Corp...

Gige

You don't get it. Must be the gin.

b**bs

Edited by Ring Leader

You don't get it. Must be the gin.

b**bs

Ring Leader...I'm getting the impression you simply do not understand the seemingly forgotten concept of corps loyalty in senior corps, and just how deep those feelings can be. Allow me to repeat Gige's comment, "I would rather be hit by a bus than wear bell bottom pants." Referring of course to the Caballeros, the Bucs' arch rival at that time. I know for a fact many former Caballeros would feel the same way about putting on a Buccaneer uniform.

Many of us are extremely proud of what we accomplished in the past, and we will take every opportunity to tell others about our experience. And many of us have deep-rooted loyalty to that same past. We cherish those memories. I think it is wrong to interpret that as making ourselves out to be some sort of drum corps gods. Gige and I were fortunate enough to have been part of a fantastic group of people who worked very hard to achieve greatness. The record speaks for itself...nearly undefeated for three years...winning the DCA title in '79 and '80, and having a third consecutive title simply stolen away from us in '81. What happened to the Bucs in 1981 is discussion for another thread. But both fans and corps members alike will tell you the best corps did not win at finals that night. I think you guys are simply having a little trouble grasping the comraderie that existed in the Buccaneer organization at that time, and other corps as well. Furthermore, we are certainly not placing ourselves above anybody else. I think you will find a similar sentiment among members of other DCA corps that have achieved greatness at one time or another.....Caballeros, Skyliners, Sunrisers, Yankee Rebels, Brigadiers. Ask any member of those corps about loyalty and devotion to your corps. I think they will tell you the same thing.

And it's not just about winning either. Corps loyalty is what kept the Bucs from folding in 1978 when we were pulling 10 to 15 horns at rehearsals. Or the lean years in the late 80's and early 90's when this once-proud corps didn't even make finals. The original point was that what is now accepted as "corps loyalty" versus what we knew as corps loyalty back then seems to have drastically changed over the years.

With that said, I also think you misinterpreted my statements about my personal experience. I said I reached the peak of my performance ability during my time with the Bucs. A true and simple statement. I did not in any way imply that I am the ultimate horn player of all time and have nothing more to learn. I merely stated it was a personal peak. I stopped marching in 1982. I have not played a horn in about 10 years. I have never lost the desire to play, and given the chance to play and/or march again I would be working my butt off to get back to that peak level and beyond. My reasons for not marching now are varied....mostly because job and family responsibilities are higher priorities. Just as important, IMO, is the fact the only corps I would have the desire to march in is located a thousand miles away. But even though I am not able to march with my corps of choice, being a volunteer with Magic is fulfilling and rewarding in many other ways. Granted, there are other corps available. But contrary to what others have stated here, I personally do not feel like I am cheating myself or anyone else by choosing to remain loyal to my former corps, just as many others have done with their own corps. Truth be told, I long to stand in that circle again and get choked up singing the corps song with my drum corps brethren. Eventually I will.

So actually, Ring Leader, IMHO it is you and others who have replied in this thread that just don't get "it". As the great Ralph Pace would say, "'It' is what 'it' is, whatever you want 'it' to be."

Edited by Seahawk