He said "one of the best hornlines" not "the best hornline", and anyway not everyone will choose only one corps and year to have had the best hornline ever.

As I said, if you haven't heard them you really should. I still feel they were the best "hornline" in DCA to date. That's not to say there have not been some great one's both before and after, but I feel they had the best balance & dynamics of anyone I've heard. I'm sure there are people who may not agree, but I stood in front of that line and WOW! :worthy:

Mike Clougher

Sunrisers Sop line 76-80,92,93 &96

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, if you haven't heard them you really should. I still feel they were the best "hornline" in DCA to date.

I'm going with Mike on this one. Bucs had great hornlines in 1979 and 1981, but their 1980 line.... holy mackerel!!!!!

Fran

I'm going with Mike on this one. Bucs had great hornlines in 1979 and 1981, but their 1980 line.... holy mackerel!!!!!

Fran

I'm also with you guys on this one. Bucs hornline was outstanding in 1980.

I'm also with you guys on this one.  Bucs hornline was outstanding in 1980.

:worthy: B) Hey Guys...It should be obvious by now...The Bucs historically have had tremendously talented hornlines....and to really pick one from decades of excellence is pointless....although 80 is awesome so were lines from the 60's and 70's(when I played there) and this years rumor has it is good also... B) B)

I was marching Westshore in 80, and remember Readings hornline that year, they sounded more like a symphony orchestra than a drum corps. My buddy at the time was a mellophone and was always wanting to go hear them warm up, so one day I wandered over with him and really took an appreciation for that hornline.

But one of the things I think hat set it apart was the different instrumentation they used, flugals instread of 3rd sopranos, alto flugals instead of mellophones or something like that....

Sorry I can not agree with you on the 81 thing. I was a member of Sun's hornline in 80(and long before ) and followed very close the 81 season. For me, the best hornline I have ever heard in DCA to date (and most DCI years) was the 1980 Reading line. Great balance, Great show. True pros at dynamics. To anyone whose never heard them, I suggest you get a copy. I still listen to them today and just shake my head.

I was marching Westshore in 80, and remember Readings hornline that year, they sounded more like a symphony orchestra than a drum corps.  My buddy at the time was a mellophone and was always wanting to go hear them warm up, so one day I wandered over with him and really took an appreciation for that hornline.

But one of the things I think hat set it apart was the different instrumentation they used, flugals instread of 3rd sopranos, alto flugals instead of mellophones or something like that....

Buccs hornline really started picking it up in '79 when they won DCA. IMO, part of it was Tony Yaklics(sp!) horn charts which took them to a higher level. Considereing the older charts (Reds Winzer?) set a high bar that's saying a lot.

oh man Bucs 80. Oh wow. I was 11 and wow. still floors me to this day and I am a drummer

I was marching Westshore in 80, and remember Readings hornline that year, they sounded more like a symphony orchestra than a drum corps.  My buddy at the time was a mellophone and was always wanting to go hear them warm up, so one day I wandered over with him and really took an appreciation for that hornline.

They did sound more like an orchestra than a "hornline", that sums it up best. They specialized in balance and control better than anyone to date.

Again, just my opinion.

Mike C

First of all, I would like to exclude any members of any corps who has left their organizations due to inactivity from the competition field or extinction. This is not intended with you in mind.

Having been around drum corps for quite a while, (2nd generation) and seeing what has happened to the activitiy in the past 30 years, I can honestly say that (not for everyone) "what have you done for me lately" attitude has taken root.

Now, this doesn't stem just from drum corps, it goes back to how you were raised. Dedication to an organization has to start with dedication. In a time that kids can change their sports, hobbies, activities when their mood strikes (and their parents let them) has become very prevalent, not just in drum corps, but in life. Dedication was something that you learned at home. (or at least I did)

When I was growing up, I had a father who was very dedicated to everything that he has been affiliated with. Whether good times or bad, you knew where he would be and he always gave 100% every time.

Nowadays, you have members who leave an organization (sometimes after 15+ years) who just "want to march finals" or "want to be in a winning corps". This is so true among all drum corps, or else the nucleus would be much stronger for the corps who they left behind.

The only way that I changed drum corps in my career was when they've disbanded. I didn't even have a chance to "age out". In my 28 years of competitive drum corps, the corps left me...I didn't leave it.

Just my "antiquated" opinion.

Barbara

P.S.: I was always a fan of Reading's hornline. Keep up the good work in 2005. I'm rootin' for ya!

Edited by flaggirl86

The 1980 hornline was often compared to the top DCI lines at that time. In fact, Ken Turner, former DCI and DCA judge nicknamed the Bucs the "Blue Crew East", a reference to the Blue Devils.

The instrumentation change happened in 1980. The middle voices in '79 were still traditional mellophones. In '80 the mellos were replaced with the combination of alto horns and french horns. The flugals were not added until '81. However, 3rd sopranos were never really eliminated. Also, the lead sopranos were often playing split parts, so this effectively gave Tony Yaklich as many as 7 upper voice parts to use. This was most apparent in the jazz power chords we used in warm-ups.

Jaminbenb, you mentioned the pleasure of watching the hornline warm up. While it's true we often attracted a crowd during our warm-ups, Tony would rarely let us play at full volume. I remember one amusing incident about this is 1980. Don't remember where the show was. Pepe Nataro of the Hurricanes was among the spectators. We were running through part of the tune 'One Voice' but as usual Tony stopped us before we reached the peak of the song. Pepe apparently thought Tony was intentionally teasing the audience and brought a roar of laughter from the crowd when he said, in that wonderful Godfather-like voice..."Ah, come on Tony. Let the boys play!"