Who was the Funniest person in your corps?

From what I remember, 70'sDB, you weren't much of a rookie, lederhosen and all!!! :music:

Ewww...look at that lederhosen jibe!!

:worthy:

But...lederhosen and beer are such a combo!!

Yes, I was a rookie and I think a good one. At least that was what the Rookie of the Year plaque says!! :P

Edited by 70's Dutch Boy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Steve Lenane aka "Stymie" Upper lead sop (section leader, in fact). Long time BD guy (80, 81, 82, 84, 85), soloist quite a number of times. Nenver overtly over the top, but when he cracked one it was definitely good...reading his 84 yearbook entry had me in tears!

He could also make us laugh when he WASN'T trying to be funny....when we saw the PBS broadcast on the way home from Atlanta and saw "The LOOK" he gave at the end of "La Fiesta"....that was pretty much the first time we laughed en masse on the trip back home,

Ewww...look at that lederhosen jibe!!

:wub:

But...lederhosen and beer are such a combo!!

Yes, I was a rookie and I think a good one. At least that was what the Rookie of the Year plaque says!!   :P

With the Rookie of the Year Award, when three quarters of the corps were rookies, they had to bring out a large hat to get all the names in. Yours just happened to be the one they picked out!! I know, I was there!! :sshh: :sshh:

Who the heck needs lederhosen on a hot summers day, when you can have a cold beer at the Hofbrau Haus in Munich on a cool September evening during Oktoberfest with the whole corps!!

:worthy::wub::tic::tic::wub::wub::wub::wub::music::tic::beer:

Edited by ODBC

Who the heck needs lederhosen on a hot summers day, when you can have a cold beer at the Hofbrau Haus in Munich on a cool September evening during Oktoberfest with the whole corps!! 

:worthy:  :music:  :wub:  :wub:  :tic:  :wub:  :tic:  :wub:  :wub:  :tic:  :beer:

Not too hot right now! And..."when you can have a cold beer at the Hofbrau Haus in Munich on a cool September evening during Oktoberfest with the whole corps!! "...who are all wearing lederhosen and dirndals(sp). b**bs

With the Rookie of the Year Award, when three quarters of the corps were rookies, they had to bring out a large hat to get all the names in. Yours just happened to be the one they picked out!! I know, I was there!!  :sshh:  :sshh:   

:beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:

With the Rookie of the Year Award, when three quarters of the corps were rookies, they had to bring out a large hat to get all the names in. Yours just happened to be the one they picked out!! I know, I was there!! :sshh: :sshh:

Ahhh, ODBC, For over 30 years I felt that I deserved The Rookie of the Year Award...you just deflated an old guys ego. :worthy::silly:

Now I have to question the other awards as well. :wall:

:OT:

...but anyway...enuff about me...how about Those funny people in the corps.!!!!

I just heard about some kind of picnic that Dutch Boy and the Alumni is having in July what's up with that??

Do you know about this ??

Who's running it ??? :wall:  :worthy:

What's up with the picnic? I would assume that it's for the alumni and present corps to get together and have a good time together. For us old folks it's partly to reunite after all these years.

I know about it.

I have no idea who would try to get a picnic to run...but I wish them all the luck in the world :silly:

I just heard about some kind of picnic that Dutch Boy and the Alumni is having in July what's up with that??

Do you know about this ??

Who's running it ??? :silly:  :worthy:

OK Rob, not sure how you got this far off topic old geezer, but the alumni picnic is Saturday, July 16 at Kiwanis Park in Kitchener. The corps will be performing. I'll post details later on a thread that isn't about something else :OT:

Hope we see you at camp.

Now - back to those funny people...... :P

From the late 70's until his age out year in 1982 with the Colts would be (hands down) Gene Steichen.

Many many funny moments with Gene, but the one that sticks out in my head is during/after the corps performed in Madison in early June 1982 (Drums on Parade?) Gene had collapsed on the field in the closer, apparently due to dehydration. But Gene, like always seized the moment.

Two staff members ran out onto the field to pick him up and carry him off the field as the corps paraded the stands. The audience seemed occupied as to Gene's condition and you could hear the murmur of the crowd as their attention was diverted to the field where Gene lay.

The staff members picked him up ala a football player being helped off the field with a leg injury with Gene's arms around the shoulders of the accompanied staff members.

They got Gene over to the 50 yard line as they walked him towards the front of the field. On the fifty, suddenly, Gene collapses and the crowd in unison screach out with a wall of "OOOOOOOh!" Then suddenly Gene jumps to his feet with his arms outstretched like the Blue Devils mascot/symbol of old and the crowd erupts with the loudest applause of the night.

Gene can now be seen in the Fruit of the Loom commercials--he is the Leaf.

This is just one of many commercials he has been in (Snickers, Ameritrade, Subaru, Subway, SBC, to just to name a few.)