Who was the Funniest person in your corps?

Mega-dittoes Legend!

Many thought that Hymie was not of this planet. Yeah, I know. Somerville WAS another planet. (no offense, Terry)

One of my favorites was in the showers on tour, "Look at these zits! What girl would #@*%!& me with all these zits!

I have to agree. Jim was the most original funny man I knew. My personal favorite:

A long hot practice without relief at Northgate, fleas and all, with irrascible Ralph Pace teaching new drill to a corps whose patience was growing thin. At the height of it all, Jim walks off the field (concrete) and heads to his car leaving us all in wonder, but we are too tired to react. Instead we just continue on allowing Jim this discretion. He returns several minutes later, walks up the 50 yard line from the back until he reaches mid-field and pulls out an ice cold beer, and lifts it in defiance high above his head and screams something to Ralph Pace directly, twists off the top and guzzles it in seconds and then smashes the bottle to the ground. The corps and staff, stunned by the act, have no reaction as Jim quietly walks back to his spot and goes to attention.

Classic Jim, forever an original.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree. Jim was the most original funny man I knew. My personal favorite:

A long hot practice without relief at Northgate, fleas and all, with irrascible Ralph Pace teaching new drill to a corps whose patience was growing thin. At the height of it all, Jim walks off the field (concrete) and heads to his car leaving us all in wonder, but we are too tired to react. Instead we just continue on allowing Jim this discretion. He returns several minutes later, walks up the 50 yard line from the back until he reaches mid-field and pulls out an ice cold beer, and lifts it in defiance high above his head and screams something to Ralph Pace directly, twists off the top and guzzles it in seconds and then smashes the bottle to the ground. The corps and staff, stunned by the act, have no reaction as Jim quietly walks back to his spot and goes to attention.

Classic Jim, forever an original.

Remember it well, O.P.! He also had his (ahem) finger raised in the air as he did it. Ralph didn't know what to do, so he just laughed along with the rest of us. (Or he would have faced a "pantsing"). Hymie is still just as funny. Run into him now and then.

One of the funniest guys ever to wear a Drum Corp uniform was Pepe Notaro ( RIP ) from the NY Skyliners. I never marched with him and the Skyliners are a Sr corp., but this man was funny. Sr competitions or at parades you would find him surrounded with people crying from laughter. I met him several times and each time was a real treat. I didnt know he had a tribute page until becoming a part of this forum.

http://diceman.home.att.net/pepe.htm

Check it out

Eddie J

A Fanfare column (DCI.org) waiting to happen. Really. Please send me stories of why certain people were so funny, how they broke up the daily grind with their humor, etc.

Michael Boo

boomike@dci.org

Remember it well, O.P.! He also had his (ahem) finger raised in the air as he did it. Ralph didn't know what to do, so he just laughed along with the rest of us. (Or he would have faced a "pantsing"). Hymie is still just as funny. Run into him now and then.

mr. Hickey

My old Lechmere Printer- Mate. How are you these days? Thanks for filling in the Hymie story details. When writing about these things I do not trust my fading memory having heard many a story in which I maintain a completely different version.

Other witnesses are encouraged to come forward.

(overthehillDM @ Jun 11 2005, 04:51 PM) *

Dennis Gallagher!

One of our contras in 1979-1981 (I think).

He was CONSTANTLY joking around, and making all of us laugh!

Dennis made those long, and uncomfortable bus rides seem much shorter,

and more pleasurable, by keeping us in hysterics!!! w00t.gif

I marched with Dennis in Sunrisers, and you're right. He was a very funny guy.

Fran

Ditto.... :worthy:

b**bs

I actually met Dennis outside of drum corps. He was like my big (very large) brother. We played hockey together. He was a really good goalie.

It took about 4 or five months before I came to the rink in my Kingsmen jacket and we realized we had something else in common. Dennis had aged out 2 years earlier. He convinced me to go to Bridgemen. He brought me to my first bridgemen rehearsal and was always there for me through my DC years.

he lives up in either Vermont or NH.. I can never remember the difference. He's a snowboard instructor!! He has a son and is just as crazy as ever!!!

a true drum corps legend!!!!!!