Hershey Spectacular cancelled

Well, I'm pretty much spittin' mad about this. The Bluecoats had a HUGE alumni reunion planned around this event (our annual Blue-B-Que....we do a big meal with the corps, and have a history lesson with members, mingle, etc...). Now cancelled (we're trying to move it to another location).

Does anyone know if the corps are able to join another show, like the one in New Jersey that same day? I think the corps REALLY need to perform on Sunday of that week. I know they are just coming off of Allentown, but one more read before three days away is important. If the Hershey contestants joined that NJ show, that would be another big show right before finals week.

Anyone know what will happen?

DW

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jeff.... can Five Star Brass just bring the show to Lackawanna Stadium? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease???? its like so close to my house and its a doable site for Drum Corps (ACC's are there and so are DCA finals). The area also has some great things to offer... from the famous Old Forge pizza, to the coal mining tours, to Steamtown (historic train stuff) I bet hotels are cheaper here too... kids and adult around here really dont have a way to see DCI unless they travel to A-town. And The lackawanna still has Funnel Cakes... the stadium club is a great eatery... good seats, good eats! lol will you at leats think about it for next year? Screw the "hershey Spectacular"... you can have "Music on the Mountain"!!!! lol

a mmajority of the Hershey fan base doesnt even go to reading, Lewsiburg or Allenton. plus, at this late stage, finding rehearsal space etc would be a logisitics nightmare...and i think the Red Barons are home that day.

personally, and no offense to any other towns, i dont want my home show being a 2 hour drive. i want my home show in my yard.

If you are going to bring the show to Lackawana, how about a good supply

of CANDY from Chocolate World!

So is it on for next year or what? And why not one of the colleges in the

area instead? There must be another stadium somewhere around there

where we dont have to pay for parking and be interupted by screaming

from the roller coasters?

Where's that CAN DO attitude Five Star?  :rock:  :rock:

i have said this a 1000 times, so i will use caps so maybe it sincks in:

THERE IS NO FACILITY IN THE AREA THAT CAN HOLD THE 5000+ FANS THIS SHOW BRINGS IN ANNUALLY.

the closest is Allentown

Well, I'm pretty much spittin' mad about this.  The Bluecoats had a HUGE alumni reunion planned around this event (our annual Blue-B-Que....we do a big meal with the corps, and have a history lesson with members, mingle, etc...).  Now cancelled (we're trying to move it to another location). 

Does anyone know if the corps are able to join another show, like the one in New Jersey that same day?  I think the corps REALLY need to perform on Sunday of that week.  I know they are just coming off of Allentown, but one more read before three days away is important.  If the Hershey contestants joined that NJ show, that would be another big show right before finals week.

Anyone know what will happen?

DW

Darren,

As the bomb just dropped, I dont know yet if anyone knows. I feel bad for you guys..this was a home show for you and many of your members

Darren,

As the bomb just dropped, I dont know yet if anyone knows. I feel bad for you guys..this was a home show for you and many of your members

Jeff, You're quite right. The Bluecoats were pretty much a PA corps for about 7 years (the Hershman years, '85-'91). We've got a ton of great alums in PA (Patti Palisin and Laura "Killer" Swartzlander were coordinating this event for us) and were planning on having a great turn out. Well, keep us posted, and keep up the fight with HERCO and the local papers.

DW

Jeff, You're quite right.  The Bluecoats were pretty much a PA corps for about 7 years (the Hershman years, '85-'91).  We've got a ton of great alums in PA (Patti Palisin and Laura "Killer" Swartzlander were coordinating this event for us) and were planning on having a great turn out.  Well, keep us posted, and keep up the fight with HERCO and the local papers.

DW

Lest I forget, the Hershman years contain 2000-2004 as well! One of our trumpet soloists from last year and this year, Alex Bender, was a Hershman recruit. Nonetheless, the Bluecoats have a huge following in PA and annually look forward to participating in the Herhsey Spectacular.

DW

Darren,

Many of us SHore guys treked out to Indiantown Gap to see the corps, especially when Dan was doing the drumline. I amrched w/many Coats Alum in Shore as well. your pull on central PA is well noted, and appreciated.

thanks to all who emailed asking for how to show support. i have listed the places to contact here and in the senior forum thread, and expect an article to go to local paers and DCW as well.

please keep bombarding HERCo and showing them we may not be a rock concert sized crowd, but we do affect the economy

I am so frustrated because NOTHING has been in Harrisburg Patriot-News yet about the Hershey show cancellation. I emailed a Letter to the Editor on Saturday morning, and a staff person just called to verify me as the writer “in case the editors decide to print it.”

Yesterday I emailed Matt Miller, the P-N reporter who between June 3 and June 18 wrote 5 articles in the Patriot-News over the Five Star Brass-HERCO-Destiny’s Child situation. I advised him that the show is cancelled, copied Five Star’s press release to him, and asked why the P-N was being silent about this. So far I have no response. If there’s nothing by tomorrow, I’ll telephone him. Please send him your email concerns at mmiller@patriot-news.com or call him at 717-249-2006.

I find it curious that the Patriot-News would write 5 stories, print two letters to the editor, and have three other references to the controversy, but NOT cover the announcement of the cancellation and why. The earlier articles gave HERCO bad press but left people thinking it was all resolved to our satisfaction.

While I agree that Five Star Brass should not have succumbed to HERCO’s extortion , it will all be in vain if this doesn’t reach the public. Keep doing whatever you can to help this see the light of day.

By the way, Patriot-News policy on Letters to the Editor says “Please limit your letter to 250 words” and “Please write no more than once a month.” They may not use mine this time becasue my earlier one was published. Their address is letters@pnco.com

Junior corps mom in Harrisburg

Why has there been no mention of the forced cancellation of the Hershey

Spectacular drum and bugle corps show in your paper? This new and unfortunate

development deserves no less coverage than the lawsuit against Herco received.

For Herco to suddenly increase their stadium fee by more than 110% is

outrageous, and can only be seen as vindictive! They must be patting themselves

on the back for being so "clever" as to make Five Star Brass be the

ones to officially cancel the show. Herco doesn't seem to care that they are

effectively destroying a 60-year-old tradition in Central Pennsylvania, not to

mention leaving over 1,000 young performers stranded. Drum corps travel

schedules are complex and must be set up months in advance.

My daughter has been a member of the Bluecoats color guard for four years. They

have many members and alumni from this area, including the trumpet soloist for

the last two years. The Bluecoats intended to hold their annual alumni reunion

barbeque in the Hershey area. This, too, was scheduled long ago and now must be

changed at the last minute.

I can only hope that you have been on vacation and will now address this

unfortunate turn of events that affects so many people. There were people coming

from Europe and from all over the United States. It was that famous a show!There

is no other venue comparable in the area.