Westminster Review (long)

Westminster, MD

First off, my perspective: I marched contra bass for many years in the 1980's with both Suncoast Sound and the Blue Devils. I've taught in both Div 1 and Div 2, and currently march euphonium with the Reading Buccaneers. In addition, I just completed 6.5 years as a tuba player in the Army Band, where I also served as a sound engineer overseeing both large-ensemble live sound and a recording studio.

Now that we have that out of the way...

The venue:

Decent stadium, though not tall (I was at the very top, only about 20 rows up). Lighting was fine, and the seats were as comfortable as you can get with bench-style seating. Fran was announcing, and the wireless mic system he was using had issues periodically. This was a YEA show, so we were subjected to the usual "Sale at the Cadets booth!" spam all night long.

Jersey Surf: I've always been a fan of this corps, and I love their "weekend warrior" take on touring. This show is a departure from the last few years, but they have designed it well. The horn line is big and sounds quite good. Percussion has a few issues, but they are nothing the corps can't deal with before Finals. I really enjoyed the musical arrangements, especially the blending of 1812 and Start & Stripes. While there's not doubt this is a more serious Surf in 2005, they are still entertaining. My only complaint/suggestion would be for the staff to make the "gimmicks" more obvious (like the "broken record" and "scared/surprised duet"). I almost missed that stuff, and I know many in the audience did.

My score: 68.00. Actual score: 68.20.

The Magic: The brass sound was surprisingly good, and they are a lot further along than last year. I like the sound of the King brass, although the tubas look to be a pain to carry (they are not designed like the old K-90 contras, and King should be beaten for that). The Ludwig drums looked and sounded good, with the exception of the almost inaudible bass drums. The bass line didn't seem to be laying off, but the sound just did not carry at all. Drill issues are evident, but to be honest, it was not nearly as dirty as I'd anticipated. The members seem to have been trained well in fundamentals, both musically and visually. I don't see Magic making finals, but they could surprise a few corps late in the summer. Magic's biggest problem is the musical program. It's utterly forgettable.

My score: 63.00. Actual score: 65.10.

Spirit from JSU: I really enjoyed this show. Like another reviewer, it did bring to mind Empire Statesmen, without the cheese. I was pleasantly surprised that Spirit has dropped the "Cavies Light" style and gone for a more entertaining program that does evoke memories of the old Atlanta corps in the mid-80's. This might be the blend of old and new the corps has been searching for. They have a lot of cleaning to do, but they will contend in August.

My score: 72.50. Actual Score 73.30.

Boston Crusaders: I'll be honest and tell you that I thought their 2004 program was a complete travesty, and I hated it. That being said, I *love* BAC in 2005. "Ode to Joy" is very entertaining, and very well performed. It is a challenging program (especially visually), and the brass especially sound great (I suspect this is Tommy Santino's influence). BAC is not trying to force anything on the audience, and they thankfully don't have any vocals or announcing. The corps conveys the program on its merits, and does it very well. When they get the program cleaned up, and I know they will, they will be very successful come Finals.

My score: 77.0. Actual score: 76.20.

Carolina Crown: The first two thirds of this show are nothing short of fantastic. The brass line is the best Crown has ever had, and their book has some incredibly exposed moments. As usual, Crown has the most body-work of any corps on the field, something that has become a bit of a signature for them. The design team has done a good job of balancing that and not making it overwhelming. What they don't do well is march. This corps had the worst foot technique and more phasing issues in the feet than any corps on the field. Why the field visual judge didn't tear them apart is beyond me. They should have been dead last in Visual Performance. No amount of body should ever trump bad marching. Ever. The strength here is music, and they play very well. The ballad is beautiful, and is easily the most challenging part of the show to play (and needs the most work). I don't care for the closer though...I'd take a hard look at a musical re-write to build some excitement...the show just died after the ballad.

My score: 74.50. Actual score: 75.85

The Cadets: Well, I'll say this...it's interesting. I'd heard the recording of the music from the Memorial Brass show and was really looking forward to hearing the show live, as I loved the music. Well, I have to be honest...I don't know if I love the music or not, because there is so much going on visually I was completely distracted, and that isn’t a good thing. I think they have something here...but if they want to contend for the title, they need to gut some of this and toss it out a window. The sections that worked were the ballad, which is incredible (I *love* the percussion groove..the piece would not work without it) and the chess match. The rest is, in my opinion, completely overwritten. It's too much. The percussion feature made me angry. The line comes forward and just throws down for about 32 bars, then stops. Then they do the infamous drum-scat thing. Then they throw down again. This really broke the momentum of the show, and wasted one of the best percussion sections in drum corps. Loose the scat. Seriously. While you're at it, loose the mics and announcing too...it added nothing. If it was the aim of the designers is to illicit emotion and get you thinking, The Cadets have succeeded in spades...but making the audience angry is not the goal I'd shoot for. As is, this program won't make top 3 in August, no matter how clean they get it.

My score: 77.00. Actual Score: 81.55 (completely ridiculous if you ask me).

Crossmen: This was the most entertaining corps of the night, bar none. Now, I have to be honest here...I've been praying for a corps to try and play music like theirs for years, and no corps has had the courage to try until now. Let me tell you, it works! Crossmen are rocking this summer. Yes, it's dirty. But man, this brass section can flat out play. Percussion is lagging, but mostly because the drum book is a challenge. They will be fine in August. I loved what the drill and color guard is doing too...far, far better than their 2004 program. The musical book was the best of the night as well, though I'd recommend they take a look at the very ending...it's quite abrupt. After thinking about it, I'd be willing to be that it's not the "real" ending. My score: 74.50. Actual Score: 72.35 (way too low, and I had them ahead of Spirit).

General comments:

1. DCI, it's time to start penalizing corps that I can hear warming up when I'm in the stands. Horn lines and drum lines are not the problem...it's the #### guard gock-blocks and pits that are too lazy to go somewhere they won't be heard. I do not need to hear a gock or marimba eight on a hand during Jersey Surf's ballad. This is a huge ongoing problem, and DCI needs to fix it. I really blame the chief judge and the show coordinator. Let's start giving out a one point penalty with no warning...the corps have been warned for years and nothing happens.

2. Stop with the DHUT-DHUT-DHUT crap. If I can hear it in row 20, it's too loud. Frankly, if I was judging a musical caption from the box, all of the good things your corps does would be ruined by this, and I'd slam you for it. Learn how to play without it. Drum staffs, you need to fix this pronto.

3. I was pleasantly surprised by the overall level of brass execution for the end of June. No horn line sounded "bad". I cannot say the same for a few percussion lines.

4. I'm trying to figure out the retreat. The Crossmen drumline came out and played a sweet groove while the rest of the Crossmen corps and the drum majors marched out. Did the drum majors really need to parade behind the Crossmen? Why not just walk up front. We were spared America/O Canada (thankfully) and Crossmen threw down a sweet concert after the awards (Russian Christmas Music, Fantasy, and Paradise). The brass line really sounded great.

5. The Crossmen, the one corps that really rocked out, did so without a single mic or amp. What does that tell you?

6. On the subject of amps, if you are going to use them for anything other then micing pit equipment, you need to get a sound guy that has experience with large-ensemble outdoor work to design your system. Cadets mics sounded like garbage when they did the announcing and scat sections. As an experienced sound engineer, I really question the speaker array and set-up that some of these corps are using, especially Cadets. They sound tinny and thin, and they really don't have to. If you are going to use mics and amps, do it right or don't bother.

All in all, it was a lot of fun.

Edited by Kamarag

I LOVE this review John! :rock: I agree with you about the "dutting" and just about everything you have said. Of course I haven't seen Jersey Surf or Crossmen yet...but... :)

Don't scat drumpspeak, utilize your talent. Play the drum.

I too was studying recording engineering and live sound at one time but ended up being a light tech but still know how to do a board and lay down tracks in a studio. :) Anyway, I get what you're saying. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

5. The Crossmen, the one corps that really rocked out, did so without a single mic or amp. What does that tell you?

It tells me that either the Crossmen didn't use them for that show or you must have missed them. I watched them rehearse a few days ago, and their pit was most definintely mic'd and there were speakers on both sides of the pit as well. Not to mention very visible microphones on the keyboards.

It tells me that either the Crossmen didn't use them for that show or you must have missed them. I watched them rehearse a few days ago, and their pit was most definintely mic'd and there were speakers on both sides of the pit as well. Not to mention very visible microphones on the keyboards.

Well they must have opted not to use them because there was no amplification in crossmen's pit. However they do have one cool pit vehicle with flashing red lights under the chassis and everything

I agree with you that the scat thing in Cadets show is a creative mis-step, as is the section where the girl tries to sing like Bjork... but the show is completely understandable and beautifully coordinated. It has enough other moments where they just a grand slam out of the park, that even if they kept it in, they would still be able to be top 3.

I admit, I've hated the Cadets since 2000... I think they've piled more and more cheese on every year and this program finally gets them back to being the risk-taking corps they once were. One cannot crucify a corps for one or two bad decisions when almost everything else about the performance was THAT right. I don't think they're gonna win, but I predict that they WILL be top 3 :)

Edited by EuphKub79

They weren't ready yet with the amps in Westminster. They did use the amplication equipment at Giants Stadium last night.