Stillwater, MN review (7/6/05)

After the DOT debacle in the parking lot EACH of the last 2 years, I'd be highly surprised if there was even a show there next year...the Minnesota DOT was waiting for all of us in the parking lot and took the opportunity to put every bus up on ramps.  3 corps left last night without a full fleet.  It's awfully coincidental that it happened two years in a row...hmmmmm...  :worthy:  I'm pretty sure that both Scouts and Cavies won't be back next year.  And after last year, Phantom wasn't coming back...soooooo, they better start drawing other  corps that don't know about the "random" DOT checks done at this show...

Where in the world did you hear that Scouts, Cavies and Phantom weren't coming back to this show???

The DOT checks are good, and the corps should be running safe equipment, and should want to be running safe equipment.

I'm sure that Scouts will be back next year, as well as Cavies and hopefully Phantom as well. Who knows, Blue Devils and SCV could be out depending on when it is.

If I were a parent with a kid in a corps, I would definitely support the DoT checking the buses.

So it's inconvenient. Better to ensure all corps are moving their members around in safe vehicles instead of broken down wrecks just waiting for a disaster.

I believe it was the U.S. Department of Transportation that was running the site inspection. Inspections took place in the parking lot of the school. And since they found so many violations last year, it's only natural they would inspect the same event this year.

Also, I don't think corps will refuse to come to this show. What are they going to tell DCI? "We're not doing the Stillwatter show this year because we got busted for breaking the law there last year!" I don't think that would fly with DCI.

And yes, Stillwater is one of those legacy shows. I just wish it was like the way it used to be - even up to 1999 or 2000 there were two shows, two nights in a row in late July with two very strong and different lineups.

Edited by combia1

Also, I don't think corps will refuse to come to this show. What are they going to tell DCI? "We're not doing the Stillwatter show this year because we got busted for breaking the law there last year!" I don't think that would fly with DCI.

I disagree. The Cavs and Scouts may take the hit in the short term, but this hurts Drum Beauty and MBI in the long run. All the top DCI corps will simply avoid this show.

What top corps wants to to face the Mn DOT every year at Stillwater? Hopefully MBI can have some discussions with the DOT and find a way to keep the bus inspections away from the show!

I'm all for safe buses, but I can think of 100 better times to inspect the vehicles than in the dark just before corps hit the road.

If I was a conspiricy freak, I'd say somebody at DCI doesn't want Drum Beauty and MBI to have a DCI show.

Jim

If I was a conspiricy freak, I'd say somebody at DCI doesn't want Drum Beauty and MBI to have a DCI show.

No offense, but maybe "conspiracy freak" is more reasonable. I say that because it is DCI which sanctions shows and schedules corps - two of the surest ways to influence any show. So far as most of us know, DCI doesn't tell DoT inspectors when and where to do their jobs. And even if they did, who's to say the inspectors would heed DCI's prodding?

HH

No offense, but maybe "conspiracy freak" is more reasonable. I say that because it is DCI which sanctions shows and schedules corps - two of the surest ways to influence any show. So far as most of us know, DCI doesn't tell DoT inspectors when and where to do their jobs. And even if they did, who's to say the inspectors would heed DCI's prodding?

HH

well, straight from the horse's mouth (Minn DOT official), this inspection was called in at the request of the Iowa DOT prior to the show in dubuque. Now, I'm not sure if that's true, but that's what he said...which makes me wonder, why is Minn doing Iowa's work?? That can't be the case...

oh, and I didn't say that the Scouts and Cavies WON'T be back next year, I said "I'm pretty sure they won't". And I'm still pretty sure that they won't...