11 1/2 Minutes: A Drum Corps Story

Here's my story:

The day after high school graduation I took a plane to Milwaukee for Pioneer everydays. That plane trip would change the rest of my life. I marched Pioneer the summer of 1998 and began a truly remarkable journey. The passion, the pride, the power I felt each time I stepped on the field would be unsurpassed by any experience off of the drum corps field. The relationships built on that field are the only ones where you truly feel connected, for only those who have been a part of this drum corps community can truly understand. I met my husband that summer. We marched for four years together at Pioneer, taught for three years together at Bandettes, and will spend a lifetime together sharing our love of drum corps. Our children will march, our grandchildren will march, and we will all share the bond that is the drum corps experience.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happend my age out year, 1993.  Our beloved director had passed away, and we were stuck with, 'The Dr.'    The Dr. tried to take TRADITION away from The Santa Clara Vanguard!  He came in and gave the corps  a 'new' song.  A song to, dare I say it, REPLACE Send in The Clowns.  HIS beloved Vanguard anthem. 

During DCI Finals retreat, The Dr. came on the field, ready for the hornline to play his anthem.  What he didn't know was that all the sections of the corps had secret rehersals to learn or relearn 'Clowns'.  So, he began to conduct his anthem.  The second The Dr. realized that the beautiful sound coming from an emotional Santa Clara Vanguard, wasn't his anthem, he was TICKED!  He made a face that I will never forget and stormed off the field.  So, you see, The SCV was victorious in 1993, afterall.

Dr Len can (deleted due to DCP moderation rules) my (deleted due to DCP moderation rules) right up his (deleted due to DCP moderation rules) pretentious arrogant (deleted due to DCP moderation rules) with a HAMMER.

Dr Len can (deleted due to DCP moderation rules) my (deleted due to DCP moderation rules) right up his (deleted due to DCP moderation rules) pretentious arrogant (deleted due to DCP moderation rules) with a HAMMER.

Rich,

Due to DCP Censorship, I can only guess what you said....LOLOLOL. You are too funny.

Love ya like a brother

(you are since you marched in SCV),

Paula

My dad was my best friend and he passed away suddenly in May of 1993. He was the person who got me interested in drum corps. When the call came that the 27th Lancers were reuniting to field an alumni corps to perform at the 1994 DCI Championships I jumped at the chance. It was as though time had stood still. The pride and dedication were immediately evident among true alumni and the more than welcome newcomers who joined us. It was a long and difficult road with extreme weather and aches in muscles we'd forgotten existed. But on an August Saturday night it all came together and the results are legendary. As Michael Cesario said succinctly and oh, so eloquently at the end of the performance - "WOW!"

What a wonderful idea! Here is my submission:

~~~~~

There are moments where time seems to freeze, where one is able to reflect on years of experiences in a matter of mere seconds.

In 1999, Allentown, “Russian Christmas Music”, we were concluding our performance. We were moving quickly, performing our "Madison turn", building up to our final push. The moment I turned and saw the audience rise to their feet screaming, time froze.

I remembered joining in 1995, struggling with a rebuilding corps...

I remembered the exhilaration in 1996, making finals for the first time...

I remember the crash in 1997, the months of physical rehab...

I remember sitting out in 1998, regaining the strength to perform…

Then I saw 1999, felt the fire from the audience, joining us in this final musical expression. Time resumed. The final minute of the performance was pure, raw, powerful emotion, pouring from every member of the corps, joined by the crowd. Wow!

Dave

~~~~~

David R. Sedlak

Reading Buccaneers Baritone "The God Squad" 1995-1997, Soprano 1999

West Chester University "Golden Rams" 1993-1995

AEA

"The Blue is here, so let's give a cheer!"

We are looking for your drum corps story.  It can be about what drum corps means to you, how and why you marched or are a fan, or even just a poignant moment that still resonates with you. 

Here's the catch - it must be submitted in 150 words or less.  That's one to two paragraphs!  So it has to be short and powerful.

Entries can be submitted to me in three ways - via e-mail at mike@drumcorpsplanet.net, via PM (use the PM link at the bottom left of this post), or even post it here in this thread for everyone to see! 

I will accept submissions until 12:00 am next Friday morning (July 22, 2005) and later that day the best two submissions (as determined by a judging panel) will be posted for everyone to read, and will be featured by DCP News!  Oh yes, and the authors will receive a copy of the DVD.  :)

Best of luck to everyone with the contest!

Mike

Edited by drepsed

I marched back in the 1970's and my biggest regret in life is that I never got the opportunity to age out. I was never more thrilled than in 1997 when my two kids decided to give the activity a try. On the Tuesday before their first competition, my son was run over by a van and was very seriously injured - we didn't think he would make it. The corps dedicated their first show to him and it was the only show they won that year.

My proudest moment will come this August when he fulfills my personal dream and ages out with a Division I corps after 9 years of marching.

I am a fan, a parent of someone who marched 4 years, and someone who shoots video for DCI.

It is extremelly emotional to record performers before and after a show, my tunnel video is the best video I have ever shot.

Once during the playing of America the Beautiful/O'Canada, I am standing 5 feet in front of a SCV colorguard person, their face is a stern image, BUT... just as the last notes are played at finals a huge smile from ear to ear appears and tears start flowing down their face. This says it all.