Amplification Is Good!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said before; Amplification is a CHOICE NOT A MANDATE!

The problem with this line is that the corps and judges make it a mandate. Look at the history and see that with new things brought into corps, unless a corps uses them, they will be penalized for NOT using them. So even if one or two lower corps use them, it's not a problem. But with the upper echelon corps using them now and winning with them, in order to compete, the lower corps MUST integrate them into thier program.

Of course you're right Steve. That's why Bluecoats and Phantom placed so poorly last year, is because they were without amplification. And the only reason they were beaten by Vanguard, Cadets, Devs and Cavs is because those four corps did have amps. Yeah, that's it...

:worthy:

I don't think I've ever pondered a single question on this forum with more intensity.

I think amping one's udu is a misdemeanor in some societies.

But it does sound like fun and if anyone's tried it in the privacy of their own home, please PM me.

Sorry to hijack the serious nature of your question. It just struck me as something I couldn't allow to pass.

Someone out there...I'd like to see an avatar proclaiming, "Amp your udu." It would make a great button as well (and a great name for a rock band) and should be considered as the title for Crunchy Frog's next venture. It would also make a good response to someone who just insulted you. Person 1: "Yeah. I wouldn't expect anything different from you." Person 2—(you): "Amp your udu."

It's also fun to say fast several times in-a-row. I want to see this become the DCP catch phrase of the year. How about a t-shirt as well? Are you with me?

Okay, it's official. I am experiencing sleep deprivation.

Mike

Here's your Udu Avitar:

UDUAva.jpg

Anyone, feel free to use it.

See me, at age 24, taking pretty much the same perspective.

see ME at 14 agreeing totally!

Ah, but you're implying that things were somehow any different before.  Money has always been tremendously important.  With it you can buy the best horns, the best drums, the best guard equipment (and more of it).  You can also pay to hire the best staff, and more technicians to provide each member with better individual attention.  You can hire the best designers, so that you know you'll be taking the field with a great show.  More money buys you better busses, better food, and cut down tour fees, all of which not only make it easier for talented kids to join but also ensure that they don't have to worry about anything but performing the show. 

Money is a factor with amps, of course, but it's a factor in every single other aspect.  If that's you're biggest reason for wanting to get rid of them, then we have a lot more to get rid of than just amps.

Good point. But like I said before, that is about 5% of the reason I don't like amps. I can live with amping the pit. But since amping has been allowed I have been all but compeltely disheartened with the results. I have not yet heard use of amped vocals that I would accept as necessary (or good...).

You know, I agree that AMPS are good...but what the ####, I want to see the activity blow it wide open.

Lets make DCI like Cirque Du Soliel. Still on a football field, but with a big scafolding rig with Foy Flying Harnesses and have members of the hornline fly through the air!

DCI 3D! Come on kids! Lets open our minds!

Whats good about amps:

-quality amps like the ones the Devils, Cavies and SCV have.

-minimal use of amps

-the discrete placement of the amps like SCV

Whats bad about amps to me:

-Feed back during the show Cadets( its an accident I know)

-Narration!

-Singing no matter how good you sound

-drum talk into the mics. It sounds just as good without.

Good Night All!

Let's see

.....quality amps like BD, Cavies, and SCV have..... $2,500 to $4000 in price..... but yet we see kids paying fees ranging from $750 to $2000 per year to march. That allows an overwhelming majority of kids to only march two or three years instead of an average of 5 to 7 years as was the case through 1993/1994.

.....minimal use of amps.... this I agree with!

.....discreet placement of amps... corps that use them need to get better at this!

.....feedback during a show.... one GOOD reason to consider a PENALTY for corps that have feedback during a show!!! If you're going to have amps, you need to know how to use/operate/adjust them! Kind of like not dropping your rifle in the 70's through early 80's....if you dropped it, you got a .1 penalty and NO ONE complained!!!

.....Narration..... :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

.....Singing........ :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

.....Drum talk into mics.... If the drum line has to "talk" it, does that mean they can't play it clean?!?!?!?!

Ciao for now!