The Loudest Crowd Response ....

Which event or Corps drew the loudest crowd response?  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Which event or Corps drew the loudest crowd response?

• 1992 - The VK Shark
    • 1995 - The end of Madison's "A Drum Corps Fans Dream"
    • 1997 - The end of Madison's "Pirates of Lake Mendota"
    • 2002 - Cavaliers "Fight Club"
    • 2003 - The End of Phantom's Harmonic Journey (and FINALLY ending on a resolving chord)

the only one I can speak of personally is 03 Phantom... I never heard the last 30 seconds of that show until the CDs came out months later. :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5) 2000 Boston Crusaders

4) 1992 Velvet Knights

3) 1995 Madison Scouts

2) 1999 Madison Scouts

and the number one loudest crowd response of all time (and I can't believe that no one else has mentioned this one)

The 2002 Santa Clara Vanguard Alumni Corps!!!

:huh::wub::huh::huh::worthy:

'82 SCV. Not th prettiest moment, but there wasn't a soul in the audience that could here the music after the first three notes of the Bottle Dance.

I'd have to go with them and even the Bridgemen that night....think SCV would have to win when they couldn't hear each other and phased horrendously

Like anyone gave a crap at that point

The second, from 1996, was preceded by the infamous words, "In 2nd place..."

Where announcement of scores is concerned, I would put '92 before '96...crowd just went nuts when Star was announced in 3rd...barely got quiet enough to hear the Cadets in 2nd...

If we count negative responses...well, in '99, the crowd sounded like they were going to riot...

I'd imagine '87 was pretty loud when Santa Clara was announced 2nd...haven't heard that one though

I was at three of the five finals, but I know I can't trust my memory. :(

I'm not sure you can trust the recordings since the microphones were placed differently in each stadium, and the crowd's seating varies. :huh:

Length of crowd response and the type of response are probably the best indications. Even though I think the crowd response was hightened in the '95 recordings, I have to believe that the response to Madison is amazing. I voted for this because I know I would have been hoarse by the end along with everyone else. b**bs

(Oh and I screamed even louder for the Cavaliers in 2002 because that was my son's age out and third championship.)

anyone here for 1980 Spirit of Atlanta? The ending of Let it Be Me was soo emotional and fantastic and LOUD that the corps had the crowd on the feet the entire time screaming while they still played LOUDER then the crowd could possibly cheer/scream!

I can only speak for Finals 01-03...but Phantom 03 was insane! The end of Phantom 01 was also pretty fantastic, Phantom kept pushing it higher and higher at the end of Festive Overture.

As far as SCV Alumni 02, I don't remember the response being all THAT loud. For 2002, though, the response to Cadets BWBB was pretty loud, and the BD cymbal rack, too.

Someone mentioned Boston 2000. Nah.... But that got the memory bank going and I recall Boston in the late 80's when they played conquest and the entire audience was into it. From the grunts to the wild screaming at the end.... that was interesting. Another is Scouts 1999, finals at Madison, the crowd was so loud that half the hornline missed the cue to start marching across the field in the company front. They got it together around the 25 yard line and the crowd erupted. I could hear the last 45 seconds of that show. That was nuts.

• 3 months later...
I gotta give it up to 1980 Bridgemen. It took a lot of guts to perform the Civil War Finale the way they did in Alabama. Of course, the crowd went completely crazy. A magical moment the way that they related to most of the crowd that night.

Carlito

1979 and 80 Bridgemen. In '79 the crowd was nuts after Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy and on their feet till we started the drum intro to the Civil War closer....they were sporatically sitting down till the horns came in with the first 3 notes of Dixie.....then the crowd jumped right back up till we furned backfield. Then they were back up at the end of the battle when the SOUTH won...stomping their feet in the stands and screaming...then at the end of the show, it was awesome....they were dieing down on the applause until we ran off the field...then they were full volumn screaming and applauding again.

To this day, I still get choked up remembering that feeling of being down on the field and the love the crowd was pouring down on us.

That same show was a dead fish after concert when we were up North.........crickets

John Hoekstra

Lead sop