DCI Season Pass

Well that's nice of them. Most sports in America get total seasonal coverage in the A/V format. I don't see why DCI can't get (and this season may be just the start) live coverage to most of the shows. Get some staff to travel around the country all summer so that the whole process of keeping up with the season is continuous. Make it two crews. If DCI stepped it up (and maybe even spent more producing the coverage) the consumer rate would go up and income would too. I think as the years go by, show coverage will increase, and keep doing it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said I was pretty happy with the service. But after getting my email on the streaming APDs out of San Antonio - its just right. I don't expect too much. I suspect that DCI and the corps never got that much from recent CD sales, due to the finals DVDs. I doubt they will ever offer a quality video product that will threaten DVD sales. Don't hold your breath for streaming video.

:spit:

Witness the awesome power of DCP!  B)

Before we take too much credit, this was something that was planned before this thread was created. I knew about it in advance but couldn't say anything until the e-mails went out to all the subscribers. Now that they know what they can do (at no extra cost), I expect that a number of the prior complaints have been superceded by the news.

OK, so seriously -- the sharp criticism at the front of this thread is funny. I saw what they said they'd offer at the beginning, and it was always "clips" and "streamed audio" of past shows. The fact that some have been critical insofar as "it should have everything and be perfect" is just insane.

Actually, as for streaming everything and saying "it's not that hard" - if it's not, how come someone like MLB has to hire mucho people and sell hundreds of thousands of subscriptions? Despite growing popularity, I don't imagine that there are so many subscribers (yet anyhow) that would even justify hiring someone. Who knows; maybe I'm wrong. Maybe DCI is just raking in the bucks. Somehow, I just can't see it.

As for streaming the whole show - doesn't the decision come from the DCI committee, i.e. wouldn't there have to be a vote or concensus? I don't remember hearing anything about that when they started selling this thing...

Anyhow, I can understand everyone wants everything yesterday. I just don't think that the criticism is fair for not having what they didn't say they'd have. Does anyone have an example of false advertising?

The U of Oregon has a feature that for $8.95 per month, no setup and can cancel at any time (but no refund), where you can watch some of the football games and basketball games in real time - it came in really nice when the national stations were not covering it, or were only picking up certain regional coverages.

I would hope that in the future that DCI would offer something like that.....for instance:

APD's only: 9.95/month

APD's & 1 major (full streaming - audio & video): 12.95/month

APD's & 2 majors (full streaming) - (audio & video): 15.95/month

Full coverage of all majors (excludes finals - audio & video) and full streaming: $19.95/month

Full coverage of all majors (includes finals - audio & video) and full streaming:

$24.95

Would it decrease the number of people that would be going to finals? Probably, but by a very small percentage, but it would more than make up for it in people that can not attend finals for one reason or another and choose to watch a streamed telecast. I really think that making the entire show available on someone's home computer is an scenario that should be addressed.

OK, so seriously -- the sharp criticism at the front of this thread is funny.  I saw what they said they'd offer at the beginning, and it was always "clips" and "streamed audio" of past shows.  The fact that some have been critical insofar as "it should have everything and be perfect" is just insane.

Actually, as for streaming everything and saying "it's not that hard" - if it's not, how come someone like MLB has to hire mucho people and sell hundreds of thousands of subscriptions?  Despite growing popularity, I don't imagine that there are so many subscribers (yet anyhow) that would even justify hiring someone.  Who knows; maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe DCI is just raking in the bucks.  Somehow, I just can't see it.

As for streaming the whole show - doesn't the decision come from the DCI committee, i.e. wouldn't there have to be a vote or concensus?  I don't remember hearing anything about that when they started selling this thing...

Anyhow, I can understand everyone wants everything yesterday.  I just don't think that the criticism is fair for not having what they didn't say they'd have.  Does anyone have an example of false advertising?

And they still don't have what they said they'd have...When's the last group of pictures they put out?? When was the last APD they put out? Last night they said they were loading all kinds of things into the sight...Nothing showed up??? I think the sight is a great idea?? It seems it is just poorly managed. Someone on an earlier note commented that they don't follow through, and are not consistant. Believe me, I am not a strong critizer, however, they need some help...

They have a photo gallery for every event they covered live. They have APDs for every event that's been scheduled to have APDs. This is all information that was available before the season.... I do not see any gaps in coverage based on what was expected.

Before we take too much credit, this was something that was planned before this thread was created.

:sshh: Where's the smilie for hyperbole?

Regarding the Field Pass, I would much prefer they make it a podcast so that I don't have to be tethered to my computer to listen to it.  When I'm at my computer I'm concentrating on other tasks so I miss most of what is being talked about.  I would find it much easier to listen to in my car on my way to/from work.  As a result I've listened to half of one episode all year.

You mean like This Week in Drum Corps and On the 50?

B)