If you had to choose one show to define drum corps

ONE. 1. O....N.....E

Man up....pick ONE........c'mon can't you take it?

Fair enough.

I'll make it easy.

I'll go with the opening of the '89 Blue Devils to " hook " the fan. Just the opening song to the point where the horns come down after the first song played.

If he or she is not hooked with the opening segment '89 Blue Devils..... then I'd foget it.

How's that for narrowing it down ?

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough.

I'll make it easy.

I'll go with the opening of the '89 Blue Devils to " hook " the fan. Just the opening song to the point where the horns come down after the first song played.

If he or she is not hooked with the opening segment '89 Blue Devils..... then I'd foget it.

How's that for narrowing it down ?

I was just watching 89 BD on "the website who's name can't be mentioned" last night. Hard to argue. Just leave out that one part of the show, if you know what I mean.

Have to say

1. '89 SCV (overall pleasure to watch)

2. '72 Kingsmen (precision [and class] at it's best)

3. '67 Cavaliers (raw power - Bully!)

-Jesse

'66-72 SCV

If I had to pick just one show....I'd have to go with.....Cadets 2000.

My one? OK, let's see - 1979 Phantom Regiment, 1980 27th Lancers, 1981 Bridgemen, 1981 Madison, 1995 Madison, 1989 Phantom, 1988 Blue Devils, 1984 Garfield, 1985SCV 1999blue knights2002cavaliers2008phantom1974anaheim......................................

you people s*ck at following the rules

So since hockeydad is getting so angry about everyone posting more than one show, I'll add fuel to his fire. It's not like you could compile a list and count the number of "votes" per suggested show and then pick the one with the most "votes" or anything...

One show, overall, period- Cavaliers 2004, for the reasons already mentioned. Familiar music, great hornline, sweet sound effects in the pit, good grooves in the drumline, and an absolutely spectacular visual package. So many nuances to pick up on, and just so much fun.

Runners up: Carolina Crown 2008 or 2007- recognizable music, 2007 is "gimmicky" (in a good way!), and 2008 is very, very recognizable.

Bluecoats 2007- ridiculous hornline, very fun/cool moments with the visual package and overall show concept

And lastly: Madison 1995. It's what made me want to march, and I listened to it for years before seeing it. In 2000, I was a freshman in high school and our drumline was taking their annual 10-mile trip to the Alamodome for DCI. As a relatively new percussionist (woodwind purist at the time), I wasn't interested. A few days later, a drummer sent me a recording of the 1995 show and I was SO mad that's what I missed out on!

Madison Scouts 1995 would be the one to take anyone that doesn't know anything about the activity. I think that such a person couldn't help but get caught up in the pandamonium that was the '95 Scouts. But I think I'm supposed to choose a show that represents what drum corps as a whole is. If this is the task at hand, I'm thinking that the 1995 Madison Scouts is a horrible recommendation to represent the activity. Not that it wouldn't hold up in front of a crowd, but it's nothing at all like the drum corps of today. So if I'm trying to sell them on todays activity, I'd have to go with Crown '08. Something for must everyone in this show!

My one? OK, let's see - 1979 Phantom Regiment, 1980 27th Lancers, 1981 Bridgemen, 1981 Madison, 1995 Madison, 1989 Phantom, 1988 Blue Devils, 1984 Garfield, 1985SCV 1999blue knights2002cavaliers2008phantom1974anaheim......................................

You have fantastic taste in drum corps. These are among my all time favorites.