Judging Consistency

And it didn't reflect the natural ebb and flow of corps progress like it should.

How do you know that?

IMO the relative sameness of rehearsal time once move-in starts makes it less likely that there will be huge variations. In my day we could double up rehearsals and make a large weekly improvement...today the corps pretty much all have the same schedule, resulting in incremental improvements by all across the board.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm lookng at San Antonio recaps and see Glassmens guard winning the prelims and getting totally dumped to last place in the finals. Seems like a big swing. :wub:

Glassmen winning guard during prelims, is because they were one of the top groups out of corps who did not rank in the top 8 the year before. Those prelim scores at regionals, are just to get those groups into the night show. Those groups then compete against the top 8--so it is no mystery as to why you see a drop in score. Were you expecting Glassmen was in a 12-10 type spot last season, so their score probably reflected that once they competed with that top 8 in the evening.

Yes, judges have been caught. At DCM Prelims in 2000, Dave Schliewe (sp) was caught with a piece of paper with writing on it showing how he was going to slot the corps for that night. Had corps in order, or with numbers, or both. He was removed from DCM as a judge and to my knowlege hasn't judged since.

So there's proof of one incident, and it's hard for me to believe that the only time that a judge ever does something like just happens to be the one time he gets caught.

one time? sorry, i judge local band circuits, and we talk, but never do we say "ok so and so sucks so lets put em here"

and i think DCI judges are the same.

yes that one time was wrong. and i am pretty sure it was an isolated incident

As I recall, the DCM incident was not a case of predetermined scores. The sheet of paper in question had the corps scores from the night before on it.

Regardless, do judges sit down and talk before a show and decide where a corps will place that night? No, I don't imagine they do.

However, their "discussions" encourage group think and gravitation towards the mean, which makes it much more difficult for them to assign scores truly reflective of abnormal performances(good or bad). To me the strongest evidence is the ranking of certain captions. Once you get outside the top 6 or 7, you start to see major imbalances in the strength of various sections, yet you almost never see a corps finish more than one or two spots away from their overall position in a particular caption.

Judging consistency, IMHO, relates to the application of the scoring criteria. That meaning a certain scoring range, high box 3 or low box 5, will be applied uniformly by judges. This requires an understanding of the criteria and what level of performance it is intended to reflect. Thus if a corps scores a 16.4 in a caption, it would be assumed that the performance met the standards designated on the back of the sheet and that the majority of judges would also recognize the performance as being in that scoring range.