S.A. Review, Part TWO (LONG)

Ok, on with my review after my own intermission! If you didn't read the other one because you are a top 6 snob and arent' interested in the corps that aren't securely into finals yet, shame on you! Lot's of great stuff in spots 12-24 this year.

To reiterate, this is at least my second viewing of most corps, and I had great seats for what was a great show Saturday (42 yard line, row 3, upper deck). I'll note which corps I was seeing for the first time, as I've found that I'm often off in what I think of a show upon first viewing.

Glassmen -- This show was much hyped in the early season. I do have to say I really like it. Not sure it's living up to that hype right now though, at least not until the closer. Perhaps the corps has hit a bit of a "wall" as they have watched their score improvement not keep up with some. The take on New World is fun & creative, although, some parts seem to work better (like the closer), than others (like the opener). The horn line at this point is not producing as full and dark of a sound as they did last summer, but there is still time for that. The drill does some terrific staging for the corps, and I know that's Alan's strength/focus. I do wish, there was a little more "effect" in the drill, though. I think that is holding their GE Visual scores back a tad. The color guard is "fun," but there is certainly significant cleanign to do their. I love the tange/latin feel of the closer, and I do like this show alot. They still have the potential to threaten those immediately above them, for sure.

Blue Knights -- Performance, Performance, Performance. These kids are very focused, and they play and march quite well for mid-July. Very impressive, and clearly on another level in marching & Brass performance than anyone below them at this point. The drill is engaging, with lots of nice sets that are appealing to the eye. The drum guard feature in the middle, clearly reminiscent of fundamentals blocks (they are doing a show about a day in the life of the corps), with lots of nice rifle spinning. Apart from that the show really doesn't carry the theme well, with the exception just mentioned and perhaps the ballad. The "Some Enchanted Evenign" strains are just beautiful. A definite highlight, although I'm surprised they are getting away with not giving credits to the original in the program. The other parts of the music book are not very accessible. BK is certainly deserving of their proximity to SCV and Boston at the moment, however. I don't think they will catch either, but you never know!!!

Santa Clara Vanguard -- It hurts to see such a proud organization go through a season like this. It's hard to put a finger on exactly what is most broken, beyond the color guard & the drill design. I think they should be getting a little more credit than they are musically, although just as in Dallas Thursday night, their performance tonight was not nearly as powerful as their end of rehersal run through on Wednesday night. The rifle line, to their credit, was much better than Thursday night, but they are still the weakest part of the show. Many tosses not together, and even many simple body/equipment moves are not clean. At the end RCM sorely lacks in tempo compared to it's 87 predecessor. Visually, the design for RCM in particular is just too slow to evolve (and no - that's not because it has to be that way because of the music). This show is eriely reminiscent to Regiment's downturn of 98/99, although not quite to the same degradation of visual performance levels. In many years, this show would still challenge for 6th, just not this year. I still think they have a shot at anywhere between 7th and 10th, although catching Crown might prove to be impossible (for 7th).

Boston Crusaders(FIRST VIEWING) -- I was quite excited to see this show, as I love all of their musical selections. Certainly an impressive corps, with more power, at least when standing still, than I've EVER heard Boston put out. On first viewing, I'm not the biggest fan of the arrangements of most of their pieces, though. Perhaps it was partly due to the Dome, but the melodic line does not come through very well in far too many places, apart from the huge, frequent power chords. As usual, the corps has a fairly solid individual marching technique. As for the drill, as others have said, it's not as "picturesque" as some of Boston's fine efforts over the past 5 years, but it's solid nonetheless. The guard is terrific, and well integrated throughout the show. Great choices of silks as well. I'm hoping this show grows more on me upon further viewing, because I really WANT to love it.

Carolina Crown -- Speaking of love, I LOVE Crown's ballad. The arrangement of Sarah M.'s Angel is just beautiful, and the choreography in both the guard and horn line is just stunning in that section. In particular, don't miss the visuals from the Sopranos (I refuse to use the other word) at the begining are great. Don't miss them! Throughout the whole piece the corps does a fantastic job of depicting how angels can carry us or pick us up when we are down, or are just watching over us. Bravo! The creative highlight of the year for me, and that's saying something when you also consider Phantom, Cavies & Cadets's shows. I don't know that the rest of the show lives up to that same level, at least yet. The rest of the arrangements just didn't connect with me to the same level. I think Crown is as locked into 7th as anyone could be at this point in the season - not going higher or lower unless SCV pulls off a miracle. The lack of color does hurt, I think, in selling the rest of the show. I understand the understated elegance approach, which they do amazingly well. I'd just like some more warm colors at some points of the show.

Bluecoats -- What an amazing year for Bluecoats. While they squeaked into top 6 last year, they are FIRMLY a member of that elite this year. It's not a question of IF they can stay in the top 6, but where they will finish. This corps moves more, and covers more field, than any corps on tour this summer. Wow. And they play really, really well. All of this is highlighted by a terrific color guard, although I don't think the depth of their demand/book is as high. Personally, I had them above Madison tonight (I'll get to that). They clearly have lots of room to continue to clean visually as well. Don't assume just yet that 'coats will stay in 6th the rest of the year.

Phantom Regiment -- Ok - beware - I'm biased towards this corps. That said, boy was I wrong about this year & being leary of their musical choices. WOW. What a corps & what a show. I had a good friend sitting with me who marched Star '90, SCV '93 and BD '94, and has taught with SCV recently, and he usually does not like Regiment. He loved them, and called it his favorite show of the night. In fact, the whole crowd around me thought they should have beaten Madison & been right there with BD. I have to say I don't understand the GE scoring for Regiment last night. Musically, they certainly to me should have been at least 3rd, and certainly not behind BD & Madison. And it's really odd to me how they've gone from beating Cadets in GE visual to being almost a point and a half behind them in 6 days. I would have had them 3rd in GE Visual, behind Cavies & Cadets. I'm not sold on the guard changes of costume in sight of the crowd, although I know they are tryign to be frisky or risque. They have added covers to the front sideline and do some of the changing there. I think that's where they should do all of it. As I said in my Wichita Falls Review, the colors added to the show are just GORGEOUS. What a beautiful show from Phantom Regiment. Perhaps they are getting hurt in GE from a variety or rep. perspective by not having a darker or more dissonant section to the show any where, but how could you with this show? What a loving tribute to Gershwin. And, the hornline has definitely been working on adding power, and low brass power, in particular, to the show. The sounds they put out Sat. Night were lush and powerful. Brought huge smiles to my friends face (and surprise). I still think Regiment has a shot at 3rd this year, but of course I'm biased. They certainly deserved a tad better GE scores yesterday, and really took an unjustified hit in Ensemble Music. Definitely the best Regiment has marched and played since 1997. Way cool visual moment for them is when they build a chevron/Eiffel Tower in drill towards the end. The very end of the show still doesn't feel like an end though. Also, apart from the beautiful colors, the guard doesn't stand out in terms of demand or work, or effect moments. That is hurting them too. Anyways, thanks again, Regiment for a phantastic show!

Madison Scouts (FIRST VIEWING) -- Ok, before all the Madison Crowd goes off on me, let me start by saying I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! The music book is fun and innovative, and the corps has taken a major step forward in drill design. The level of execution in both brass playing and marching has taken a major step forward, although, marching is still a relative opportunity. The "magical" entrance of Carmen is truly that, done amazingly well. You KNOW she's under the backfield DM podium, and you KNOW when she's coming out with the part of the guard that gathers back there, but you STILL can't see her until the last four guys peel away -- and I was sitting up high with a good view. Not sure how they are pulling that off, but kudos! As for Carmen, I agree with others that I wish she was given some equipment at some point. The prancing around does get a little old. The show does not seem to achieve the emotion it could when she dies, but I guess you don't watch a Madison show for high theatre or emotional drama of that kind. Upon first viewing, I have to say I don't feel that Madison's show has the depth or demand of either Bluecoats or Phantom, and I could easily see them slipping to 5th or 6th by Finals. Musically (at least brass wise), there is not enough meat there for me. Visually, I was expecting more from the guard based on the hype. They are good, but I wish they used more equipment, more effectively. Regardless of that, the men of Mad Town are to be commended for re-establishing themselves among the elite, with a great product.

Blue Devils -- This was my second viewing, but I'm still not sold on this show. Their are moments of greatness - by all 3 sections. And some awesome moments of power I haven't seen BD produce since they made the Bb switch. However, while not as bad as my first impressions Thursday, the show DOES have a lot of downtime, both musically & visually. You also hear musical dirt you don't often hear from BD. When has BD EVER placed 6th in brass since they moved into the elite? Probably never until last night, but they deserved that placement, IMO. The narration, oddly, kind of works, as it's integral to the show, but I also think it's the cause for a lot of the downtime that is ultimately hurting the corps. Visually, I wish we could see more depth and variation in BD's drill. It's almost all blocks & 2 parallel lines. They have some very high demand visual moments (which at this point are pretty dirty), but hey also have, again, tons of downtime visually. Same applies to the color guard at this point, though still clearly one of the 3 elite guards. I don't think they can make up the content gap with Cadets or Cavies, though. I predicted Cadets would be in front of BD at this show, and they clearly were on another level from BD. I'd say BD has more to worry about in being caught from behind than they do of catching anyone in front of them - especially Cadets. Still, I did enjoy the show. It just leaves you kind of flat at this point in the season. And please don't give me the "it's only their 5th show" response -- Hey, yes, they went to Europe. But you know what? They practiced & performed over there too. Was it a handicap? I'm sure. But not one that will drive their final placement.

The Cadets(FIRST VIEWING) -- Boy, was I excited to this show. I have to admit to being among the Cadets biggest critics about their lack of innovation and creativity over the past 5 years, and I've been looking forward to seeing if they were getting back in touch with their artistic side. Whether or not this is original, or a rehash of Mona Shores HS, I really enjoyed the show. It's not too hard to follow at all, to the point they really don't even need the narration at the beggining (which is at least pretty harmless). The reverse unis are used to very neat effect at several points, to the point of being eiry. What a powerful & fantastic hornline! It's obvious that Gino is back in the fold. The CG was also terrific. As for the story line, I thought it was cool, but not as dominant a part of the show as reviews had led me to believe. I was surprised that the effect isn't bigger when the four girls "meet." I think there is opportunity there to do something much more powerful, like a huge strain of the "Twilight Zone" music or something right there. My money since the early season has been on Cadets to win this year (more a hunch than anything), and I stick to that prediction, although I think they will go down to the wire with yet another stellar Cavalier product.

The Cavaliers (FIRST VIEWING) -- The creativity coming out of Rosement never ceases to amaze me. Yet another great show from the Green Machine. Different in some ways to the past few years, as there aren't nearly as many big, open effect drill moments, but still tons of creativity in the drill. It's certainly strange to see a Cavies show end in a park & blow, but it's done very, very well, even re-integrating the ladders, which are used pretty effectively in several places in the show. I loved the baseball section, even if I came in expecting more of an emotional "Field of Dreams" kind of feel to that piece and was surprised to see it be more of the lighthearded, fun variety. Kudos. The HR was indeed very cool. Perhaps the most disappointing part of the show was the Great Chicago Fire section. I guess I was expecting more Fireworks, musically and visually. Cavies, as the judges concurred, are WAY behind Cadets in GE Music. Still, a good show, despite the lack of memorable music (at least upon first viewing/listening). Definitely in the running for first come Finals, if they can hold off Cadets, who I actually think have more going on.

Here's how I would have had placements Sat Night:

Cavaliers

Cadets

BD

Regiment (but only a 10th or 2 behind BD)

Bluecoats

Scouts

Crown

Boston

SCV

BK

Glassmen (but with more of a gap between them & Spirit)

Spirit.

Course, I'm sure my biases come though in the main difference above, but there were sure a lot of other people seeming to be thinking the same way...

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan

PS -- I will add that it was gratifying to see Regiment take 2nd in Visual Performance and 3rd in Ensemble Visual, Brass, and Percussion. I thought all of those were deserved.

Harvey

I agree with you on many things. This is a nice review. Good job!

I do think the race for the title is between the Green Machine and the Maroon and Gold. They really do look and sound a level above everyone this year.

But I also agree that it will be Phantom, not BD or Madison, pulling into 3rd. Their show is incredible, and it may be the best show on the field in terms of the total package (entertainment, demand, artistry, performance quality). It's just a very balanced show.

If the Bluecoats clean, watch out, they could do some serious damage. Their visual book is one of the more demanding in the acitivity this year and it is not clean yet.

Jonathan

Yup, looks like you and I are on the same page this year, Jonathan. Agree with all the points you just made. I'll see Bluecoats & Scouts square off again tonight. Should be interesting.

Harvey

Yeah, I felt the Bluecoats were real dirty at SA. They were cleaner at their practice the day before. That happens sometimes I guess. They'll fix it.

I agree with your placments too. I thought PR would be way up there. I don't really like the 91's that were given to Cadets and Cavies though. I thought it should have been a little closer to the rest.

Not only do coats and madison meet up tonight, but tomorrow night they meet again and with the addition of PR.

I'm really feeding off of the show reviews at this point to prepare me for flying out to the World Championships this season.

To be quite honest, I was thinking of cancelling my trip to Boston. I know about a dozen kids in the Santa Clara Vanguard this season, and the heartache is really getting to me. So much potential, esp. from the members themselves. But the vehicle that the staff designed to get them there just...anyway...

But now I'm looking forward to seeing all of the corps that are getting such good reviews! It seems like so many corps are having such a good year. I'd hate to miss that. I suppose a few must fall in order for others to rise.

Thanks for the review

Mike, I would encourage you NOT to cancel your trip. Is this DCI's best year ever? Ehhh, maybe not up to last year even, but still great. And as for SCV, they are still a proud corps with a great, hearfelt show. I'm sure they will be special, and emotional in Boston, even if they are in the 7-9 grouping.

Harvey

Thanks again Harvey--great review. I especially appreciate your honest appraisal of SCV. I DON'T want what's happening to BE happening, but I can't help but notice it. It's NO fault of the kids of SCV. But when a contender of such high class and history seems to be faltering and fans like us are wondering if (gasp!) they would be able to catch corps they would never think they would have to "compete" against, it's hard to swallow. I hope the kids (KIDS--look at me sounding all OLD and crap!) aren't disheartened and realize who they are and what tradition and legacy they represent and pass on to a new generation of kids...and that the staff, those creative geniuses that I KNOW are talented, can start in earnest to quickly resolve what is "wrong". I hope NO ONE in the SCV organization has thrown in the proverbial towel on this season. And I hope the judges haven't done a subconscious block from seeing SCV progress this season.

Again--great review!