Caption changes during finals week

I was just saying that the rules never said 145 max. Also it said that the regionals didn't count toward the 28 shows picked. The .2 bonus is for shows performed, not picked, this is the way things are worded.

The only reason I said anything about 146 was because Brass Ablaze was talking about 146 caption points.

Trust me, I'm only doing 145.

If anybody wants to know why I am soooo AN#L about rules. In FDCI 17 we got screwed because a rule was not enforced. As a matter of fact it was a penalty that was not given to the winning corps. It was an off season and he was a experienced director that knew penalties are counted against you (he even ran a fantasy league) but he picked the highest score, but had a penalty, it wasn't given, I got second by less then a tenth. So yeah, I'm picky.

Edited by bssop97

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to worry about penalties directly. Since the final scores are line fitted, any and all penalties are included in that line fit. It would seem stupid to have a corps penalized twice. Once in the line fitting and another directly subtracted from the final score. :blink:

(not to mention the amount of work Jeff and I would have to do for each time a fantasy corps had corps X as a caption)

You don't need to worry about penalties directly.  Since the final scores are line fitted, any and all penalties are included in that line fit.  It would seem stupid to have a corps penalized twice.  Once in the line fitting and another directly subtracted from the final score. :blink:

(not to mention the amount of work Jeff and I would have to do for each time a fantasy corps had corps X as a caption)

So basicly the caption that has the penalized corps is already taking out of that caption. Not a straight .2 penalty at the end. Because that would really hurt some corps with Cadets lately.

Dr. Jeffs version of penalties actually help me win FDCI 7, a corps had a monster set of captions for finals but his 1/4 finals had about .4 worth of penalties and one caption that got a really low score in 1/4's. He was first allmost all season and didn't make semis. If he did make it through, he would of won by almost a point.

Edited by bssop97

Technically, penalties are part of the final score that a corps (real or fantasy) recieves. The difference is that I don't take them out of YOUR final score. I would seriously need to spend the time to learn the proper programming language to make it work...which I don't have. Jeff and I don't have the time to search the 45 D1 fantasy corps to see who has the corps X who had recieved the penalty.

In the end, it all washes out in the line fitting of the final score in which I build the percent caption score around. And the percent caption score is only worth 1/3 of the generated score....so it has even less of an effect.

I just did a quick check of what the generated scores would be with and without the penalty and we're talking thousandths of a point (< 0.009). To date, I have yet to see a fantasy corps loose by less than a few thousandths of a point-- few hundredths, yes.

Like I had posted a few days back,

If we are going to be at nats, how can we get our changes in from night to night? Could we phone them in or if we know what we would like them to change to each night could we go ahead and give those to you steve?

I guess my question is:

We get 1 point for every move up during Championships week...

The one point is to be used for any caption. However, I never understood what that meant. Say we have a corps like--Glassmen who is 14, using that one point moving you to 15 would give you Crossmen... And depending on the score (as it is looking) that wont help... I hope you see what I am getting at. Does this one point we get, add to the 145 we will have, meaning we can make caption changes to 2 corps or more, just as long as we factor in that 1 point?

I guess my question is:

We get 1 point for every move up during Championships week...

The one point is to be used for any caption. However, I never understood what that meant. Say we have a corps like--Glassmen who is 14, using that one point moving you to 15 would give you Crossmen... And depending on the score (as it is looking) that wont help... I hope you see what I am getting at. Does this one point we get, add to the 145 we will have, meaning we can make caption changes to 2 corps or more, just as long as we factor in that 1 point?

Yes but say you have Spirit of JSU for Visual ensamble. That's 13 points. the scores between them and Glassmen (14) have been neck and neck in that category but remember, different judges have different tastes. So maybe after prelims you see that the judges liked the glassmen visual ensamble significantly better, then you can invest that extra point there where you may have been hesitent before, if you though that spirit would do better in that caption. You can make individual scenarios on both sides. The point is, if the extra caption point is helpful to you after prelims, use it, if it is not helpful and you are happy with all your captions, then simply don't use it. There is no rule that you are required to utilize all your points.