Most memorable competition moment?

In light of this being a season of competitive firsts, I was wondering what all the DCPers out there would list as their all time most memorable competition moment? There is no right or wrong answer, and it doesn't matter if you were a member of a corps or a spectator during the moment. For me my moment happened on the field in LaPorte, Indiana in 1998, the last day of our first tour that year. That night we (BK) beat Phantom Regiment for the first time in corps history. What was interesting about that experience was that the year before I had had the thought that a Blue Knight corps might never beat the Regiment and we held them in such awe that we could not help scurry into the stadium after we performed every night to watch them. I cannot explain the emotion of that moment, but can just say that it was amazing. I kept and framed the printed recap from that night, and you might also find it hard to believe that we went home that day undefeated after the first tour, no lie. Of course the only show we saw a big dog corps other than Phantom was the first show in Debuque in which we were the only corps to perform and get a score due to rain. So that's my most memorable competition moment what's yours?

Wes Perkins

BK lead sop '97 '98

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched:

01 Finals -- Phantom's last minute. Tie at 2nd place...made me very happy that my Cadets could hold on to 2nd. Crown besting Scouts for the first time.

Yes, several moments at 03 finals -- Phantom's ending, again. Phantom beating SCV for 4th. Cadets about as close as possible to Cavies. BD topping Cavies -- I had no special affection for either show, in fact I enjoyed Cavies more, but it was pretty memorable for the Cavies 3-peat to not turn into a 4-peat.

Man.... I have so many, but here are my tops:

1983 -- Garfield Cadets finished their show in Miami at finals, and the crowd going nuts, and chanting "East...East...East...." This because SCV and BD had dominated winning DCI for the past six years or so, plus an East Coast corps had never won DCI.

1981 -- SCV's prelim performance.... No one was going to deny them winning DCI after a lack-luster year in 1980.

1986 -- My age out year in Bluecoats.... The crowd's ovation at semi-finals... It was the first time people started "Blooooing"...although not as loudly as today!!!

1987 -- Bluecoats making finals, and the "Blooooing" got even louder!!! :)

1992 -- The "Voice of DCI" Brandt Crocker's enthusiasm in announcing Cavaliers had won DCI!!!

I had better stop now, or this posting will get too long!!

1992 -- The "Voice of DCI" Brandt Crocker's enthusiasm in announcing Cavaliers had won DCI!!!

Why aren't the award ceremonies on the Legacy DVDs (or are they, am I missing it?)? I would LOVE to watch ones from the past, like the one you mentioned.

Suncoast Sound's first show back to competition in 1992, hometown, Clearwater, FL. I saw people with tears in their eyes, was amazing.

And the appluase we got in Whitewater at divII/III finals was so stinking loud! More so than prelims at Badger Stadium!

1983 -- Garfield Cadets finished their show in Miami at finals, and the crowd going nuts, and chanting "East...East...East...."  This because SCV and BD had dominated winning DCI for the past six years or so, plus an East Coast corps had never won DCI.

Was there in the stands in '83 - in fact, spent the entire finals week in Miami. Was one of the best weeks (actually, best summers) of my life. I and my two best friends were the only three people wearing maroon with the upward arrow G in a SEA of Vanguard fans - and boy were they ticked when they lost! Almost didn't get out alive . . .

Will NEVER forget the Cadets lining up to do their full show as an encore (they did this at EVERY show they won that year - at least, all the ones I saw). VERY emotional night.

Why aren't the award ceremonies on the Legacy DVDs (or are they, am I missing it?)?  I would LOVE to watch ones from the past, like the one you mentioned.

I don't think you are missing it... I've searched high and low on the DVD for the full retreat, mainly 'cause it's my favorite part of finals and well, now that it is no longer in existence... well, if anyone finds the easter egg, please do tell.

last season the blue stars did a performance in brookfield, missouri for stanbury uniforms. and it was amazing the whole company and town came to just watch us. it was so electric and fun. not a competition..but still wow i remember it so well!!

Well, you didn't say whether it had to be a good or bad moment but....

I believe (don't quote me on it!) that it was 1983, about a week before finals, when Garfield pulled ahead of SCV for the first time that season... And boy was that show filled with competition... Anyways, back in those days, every corps 2-? at the show had to walk by and salute the winner of that show... And I remember Santa Clara Vangaurd refusing to walk by and salute the Cadets... Talk about CLASS :rolleyes:.

edited for grammatical errors

Edited by yabetterbelieveit