Most memorable competition moment?

Too many memorable moments!!

Marching:  Toss up between Finals '91 and 8/1/91 (Pittsfield, MA).  I would personally give the edge to the Pittsfield show, because I was sick as a dog finals week.  Anyway, the crowd was INSANE...just nuts...the most individually frenzied crowd I've ever witnessed.  It was on some silly baseball diamond, and the crowd was way back from the field (given the diamond shape).  It was raining, too.  The audience just lost all decorum...I think we must have all been having way too much fun performing.  I don't know if Nikk remembers that one...

Oh heck yeah, i remember that one. I remember that it got muddy as #### near the pitcher's mound, and when we did the kneel-down at the end of Pagliacci, we all came up sporting on brown knee. :P

I also remember that the way the field was set up, the audience was NOT parallel with the sidelines, but rather some weird angle, and when we did the "Icebergs" in Nessun Dorma, it really threw us off. If we could see a video of that show from the top of the press box, I guarantee it would have looked awful.

But the crowd absolutely loved us. I remember that as well.

My favourite moments:

Musical moment I was involved in: The cutoff at the end of Clair de Lune on Finals Night 1994, as I realized my drum corps career was coming to an end. Probably one of the few good things that came out of me being drum major.

Musical moment not involved in: The end of the closer in 1996, as the various choirs fill in to the arc and then the contras fill in and just make it absolutely glorious.

Visual moment involved in: The crab-stepping wedge in 1993. The first time we tried it on the field, we all thought it was stupid. Then we did it at DCI South, and we though Tony was a genius. We won DCI South, my one and only regional win (gosh, I miss regionals).

Visual moment not involved in: Most of the 1989 show. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, my favorite competitive moment would be from finals in 1996. Right after the Cadets were announced in 3rd, the Cadet member immediately to my right said, "Good job, Phantom." I've always been impressed by that.

We did that wacky Pittsfield show in 94, too. The grass was long and it had rained so the lines were faded, in addition to the stands not being parallel to the field. We did the 360 turn at the end of the intro and I had no idea where I was.

Turned out it was good training for DCA finals, which have been on baseball diamonds each of my five years in MBI. :blink:

Michael Oldemeyer

Watching Tam Easterwood and Scott Chandler running toward us on the field at retreat in 1985, jumping up and down, screaming at us that we'd just won the colorguard trophy, even though it was announced as Santa Clara.

The flip side of that was passing them in review as we left......we felt awful for their guard having to go through the "You won........oh wait........no you didn't" thing.

I haven't read the entire thread, so it's possible that someone already mentioned this, but....... Does anyone remember the run-off at Dekalb (DCM) in 1982? (Or was it 1981?) That's definitely one I'll never forget!

Back when there was no such thing as a tie and the DCM championship was a big deal, they announced that Regiment & Scouts had tied for first place. Then they immediately announced that both corps would perform their shows again in a "run-off" to crown a champion. The performances that both corps pulled off after that were UNREAL! Regiment ended up winning, but being there for the whole experience was what was amazing.

Bloomington, IN 1990. End of our opener. I almost never got distracted by the crowd while I was on the field, but this was nuts. As we started to push forward for the last 16 counts, the crowd--thousands acting as one--just JUMPS out of their seats screaming. The stands at IU are steep and close to the field, and it looked like they were going to topple forward on top of us.

Not a competitve moment, but one I'll never forget!

The years I marched were pre-Miss Amana. At that time we would stop at various restaurants to eat. We had stopped at one of the corps favorite stops, Bishops in Omaha. After we had eaten and everybody was back on the bus ready to go Gail came on board and was fuming! “The manager informs me that 21 center pieces are missing! We will not leave this parking lot until all 21 are returned! I’m going back into the restaurant for five minutes and I expect to find 21 center pieces in front of bus 1 when I come out. Five minutes later Gail came out and discovered 53 center pieces!

Well, you didn't say whether it had to be a good or bad moment but....

I believe (don't quote me on it!) that it was 1983, about a week before finals, when Garfield pulled ahead of SCV for the first time that season... And boy was that show filled with competition... Anyways, back in those days, every corps 2-? at the show had to walk by and salute the winner of that show... And I remember Santa Clara Vangaurd refusing to walk by and salute the Cadets... Talk about CLASS  :blink:

edited for grammatical errors

Um...Santa Clara only beat Garfield once in 1983 and that was at semi-finals. Garfield hammered everyone, by several points, right up until before finals.