Blue Stars moving up in 2006

What Phansouth said + having them in the top 12 in Madison for finals! b**bs

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread! Thanks for the kind words Jwillis and Watch & Listen.

RE TexasPRfan's question with the corps financial status...

The Blue Stars experienced some financial difficulty following the 2002 season. After the organization removed their director, Brad Furlano came in for a one-year interim stint. Furlano had been the Drum Major of Blue Stars from 1983 to 1994 and then worked on staff here from 1995 to 2002.

For '03 he served as a volunteer ED while holding down a full time job at Best Buy corporate and raising his one year old son. Despite these less than ideal conditions by the end of the year he had won a championship and moved the balance sheet in the right direction SIGNIFICANTLY.

There are a lot of factors that have contributed to our recent growth and success, but perhaps none more significantly than Brad's tenacity and work ethic - and his wife's nearly inexhaustible patience.

Ok, back to work for me!

Greg Struve

Executive Director

Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps

Edited by GregStruve

Go Blue Stars!

Having the Blue Stars be one of the very first corps I had ever watched (in awe, I might add), they hold a place dear to me. Nothing would be better than to see them and the Troopers back sometime in the top 12!! That, my friends would be Glorious.

Interesting.  Weren't there issues within the last 18 months regarding whether or not Blue Stars could even afford to field a corps (either this past offseason, or the offseason before)?  I hope they are on sound footing.  Would be exciting to see more Div I corps, and especially if it's an old hand rejoining the Div. I fold.

Harvey

blue stars are much better money wise these days then the past .. they are doing a great job as a BOD and corps

But they could still use every ones donations gas prices are crazy

go and donate ...help them become Div 1 again

http://www.bluestars.org

Edited by bscontra

Wouldn't that be amazing to see Blue Stars return to D1 after a what, twenty year absence? WEARING THE SAME UNIFORM????

That's a great story, whether it happens or not.

23 years out of D1 counting 2005. It would be amazing to see them back competing for a Saturday night spot in Madison next year. As an alumni, I hold in great regard all of the members and staff that made the corps a DII and III powerhouse for so many years. The quality of the their show and appearance has always been DI level. I will be in Madison next year to see them nop matter DI or II.

(plus I get to see the Stars for the first time since 1999 on Wednesday night in Salem, VA!)

Great thread!  Thanks for the kind words Jwillis and Watch & Listen.

RE TexasPRfan's question with the corps financial status...  The Blue Stars experienced some financial difficulty following the 2002 season. 

The organization removed their director and Brad Furlano came in for a one-year interim stint.  Furlano had been the DM of Blue Stars from 1983 to 1994 and the worked on staff here from 1995 to 2002. 

For '03 he served as a volunteer ED while holding down a full time job at Best Buy corporate and raising his one year old son.  Despite these less than ideal conditions by the end of the year he had won a championship and moved the balance sheet in the right direction SIGNIFICANTLY. 

There are a lot of factors that have contributed to our recent growth and success, but perhaps none more significantly than Brad's tenacity and work ethic - and his wife's nearly inexhaustible patience.

Ok, back to work for me!

Greg Struve

Executive Director

Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps

I think some of the facts are wrong Brad F was Dm 1982-1993 sorry for being a stickler sometimes we get the furlanos all mixed up there are 5 of them you know

FCO,

Butler

Edited by bscontra

23 years out of D1 counting 2005. It would be amazing to see them back competing for a Saturday night spot in Madison next year. As an alumni, I hold in great regard all of the members and staff that made the corps a DII and III powerhouse for so many years. The quality of the their show and appearance has always been DI level. I will be in Madison next year to see them nop matter DI or II.

(plus I get to see the Stars for the first time since 1999 on Wednesday night in Salem, VA!)

what he said ...

1999 huh that was a good year for us .. and my age out

see yah in mad town

butler

Rumor has it that The Academy will do a full tour next summer (that is their hope) then move to DIV 1 in 2007.

Thanks for the update on Bluestars financial situation & that is great to hear! What an inspiring story of dedication by a former member to keep the corps alive.

Harvey