Charleston, WV Scores

I'm not surprised by the spread between PR and Madison especially in color guard if both are performing at the same or similar levels as they did in Indy. PR's color guard was on fire, performing with a confidence, professionalism and swagger I usually only see from BD. (The same swagger that handed BD the title over The Cavaliers in '03.) PR is selling the bejeebus out of their show and it's nice to see them getting the credit they deserve.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be mistaken, the only major error in scoring, after reviewing the recaps from the Charleston, WVA show and the Massilon shows, was the Visual Performance scores. They were a point less on Moday night for Regiment and 0.9 lower for Madison. HUGE drops for both corps! This judge may be an exceptionally hard ejudicator or was way off! But, in either case, my feeling is he has done both corps a great disservice. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Madison and Regiment to recover from his scoring.

Hopefully, this is just a temporary apparition for both groups and won't bleed over to the next few competitions!

Robert

Hmmmmmm  lets see:

GE  Repertoire:  COMBINED 20 POINTS TOTAL

20 percent of the score just based on the Repetoire given to the performers.  You guys expect the individual captions on a given night to be so different that it will automatically effect the outcome.

This scoring system doesn't allow for this as much as we all want it to.  AT THIS TIME OF YEAR...Corps will jump the most if they improve their GE numbers and unfortunately, a corps' design and coordination doesn't really change in comparison to another corps....unlike the performance captions which may.

However, these are just 10 point captions that many fans just expect will automatically TRUMP the bigger caption of Effect.  It doesn't work that way. 

Sure....SCV may have perfomed better than cavies...so that is what?  a couple of tenths or more?  The GE number?  well....5 tenths in rep....6 tenths in showmanship...BAM....still over a 1 point spread...despite a gain in individual captions.

Just trying to be devils advocate here.

Peace

And this is why I hate the way GE is scored nowadays, and why it needs to be restructured in several ways which I have gone on at length about already.

But you're absolutely right...the corps themselves decide it, after all, DCI is not some faceless entity, it's the corps, and if not enough of them are going to speak out about it, then they've made their own bed.

I may be mistaken, the only major error in scoring, after reviewing the recaps from the Charleston, WVA show and the Massilon shows, was the Visual Performance scores.  They were a point less on Moday night for Regiment and 0.9 lower for Madison.  HUGE drops for both corps!  This judge may be an exceptionally hard ejudicator or was way off!  But, in either case, my feeling is he has done both corps a great disservice.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes Madison and Regiment to recover from his scoring.

Hopefully, this is just a temporary apparition for both groups and won't bleed over to the next few competitions!

Robert

Or, again, as I have said before, maybe both Madison and Regiment had off nights in that caption? I mean...come on. Scores cannot and should not be a steady climb all season long...that's just not normal. There have to be dips and jumps, because:

a. performance levels vary night to night.

b. different judges observe different parts of the field on any given night.

c. different judges have different standards.

d. environmental conditions (rainy, windy, wet, humid, etc) play a different role each night.

I just am starting to really feel for the judges...i mean, they knew what they were getting themselves into, but they really can't win: If they call a show how they see it, people call them inconsistent or worse, but if they continue the trends, they get accused of slotting.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a judge in this day of instant scores, streaming audio/video, Sunday morning adjudicators, and the instant gratification 25-and-under crowd.

To the color guard point raised above, actually this judge is extending the trend and consistency established last weekend, when Regiment's guard surged in Indy.  They have simply continued that surge since Indy at each show.  Go Regiment!!!!

Harvey

OK - so now spinning an umbrella is a majorly technical equipment move?

Now, the TREND part I can buy...as in nostalgia show suddenly catching center stage.

It was basically a 3 way tie for 3rd in Indy - Madison and PR are performing and selling their shows well. BD - my vote for most likely to take 6th. Madison has the more difficult show (drill and music) so the most to clean. Who knows what is going to happen in a week. A local show with no-name judges...easy for scores to be manipulated and surely not the first time this season as there have been some really wacky things going on. Just my 2 cents.

Well, also just my .02, but I don't agree with the statement that Madison's drill is harder or that Madison's music is harder. And Phantom's guard is doing more equipment work than Madison's also, so I don't buy the crack about the umbrellas. Just saw them both in Murfreesboro. And, no, I'm not making a call as to which corps is better, I'm just giving my .02 after seeing them together at the Masters. Both corps were more well received than Blue Devils, and, just my opinion, not just because of the show concept, but I felt they were both more techinically proficient.

Edited by PR ROCKS

OK - so now spinning an umbrella is a majorly technical equipment move?

Now, the TREND part I can buy...as in nostalgia show suddenly catching center stage.

It was basically a 3 way tie for 3rd in Indy - Madison and PR are performing and selling their shows well.  BD - my vote for most likely to take 6th.  Madison has the more difficult show (drill and music) so the most to clean.  Who knows what is going to happen in a week.  A local show with no-name judges...easy for scores to be manipulated and surely not the first time this season as there have been some really wacky things going on.  Just my 2 cents.

See, this is why opinion is so wacky and wonderful. You are of the opinion that Madison's music is tougher...and I am of the complete opposite opinion. Ain't life grand? :) And somewhere out there probably has the opinion that Blue Devils' music and drill are harder than both, so...different strokes for different folks.

(Oh, the world don't move...to the beat of just one drum...what might be right for you...may not be right for sooooome. Sorry, I just had an 80s flashback) :P

(I can't speak to drill, as I have not seen enough of it from both corps to accurately give my opinion).

I agree with ya, Nikk, this is why this is so fun. All of us have our opinions. In my opinion, Regiment's music, drill & color guard work are all more difficult than Madison's. It's why I said weeks ago that Madison would be the most in danger of any of the top 6 to peaking early and sliding towards the 6 spot.

PS -- even if you subtract out the umbrella work (which is at times very creative), Regiment's guard still has much more equipment work. I wasn't at Indy, but everyone there has seemed to have said Regiment's guard to it to another level starting on Saturday. Good for them!

And I love Madison too! I will be cheering for them as well. I just don't see them catching back up to Regiment based on the products & talents being displayed in both corps.

Harvey

(Oh, the world don't move...to the beat of just one drum...what might be right for you...may not be right for sooooome.  Sorry, I just had an 80s flashback)  :P

dstrokesauto3.jpg

"Whatchoo talking about Nikk?" :sshh: