Charleston, WV Scores

ok, I saw the recaps..

That Vis GE judge royally messed up the scores. What in the heck?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds familiar, GE Vis judge seems to be missing a lot lately. Congrats to Phantom, they keep moving up, maybe a 3 way race at the top soon? Pittsburgh and Allentown will be interesting.

Edited by artlady

to those of you talking about bad judging.....maybe Phantom really is improving that quickly? Maybe the Scouts show has peaked early? Maybe the judges just saw it that way and were worried about how they've done against each other on other nights

I know for a fact it's a bad call for ONE JUDGE to drop kick his caption as bad as the Color guard judge did..... Having Scouts down 1 point to a corp they have beat (in guard) and at least have been tight with, shows a weak or lack of continuidy in HIS judging.

That is the worst thing a judge could do.  He gave himeself the power to decide a show placement.  If one judge screws caption this bad, he gives his score alone the power to decide a shows outcome. 

BAD JUDGE DONNIE <**>  BAD BAD BAD.

I believe that they finally received the guard score they deserve. At least 1/2 of the show is movement that looks like they are at a dance club and tons of free form. And a chain feature that they pretty much just walk around with??!? But I did like when Carmen entered the field. I am not bashing them, I just think that the show could be SO much more if they used equipment more.

1.1 spread for these two corps is HUGE in any caption!

I know for a fact it's a bad call for ONE JUDGE to drop kick his caption as bad as the Color guard judge did..... Having Scouts down 1 point to a corp they have beat (in guard) and at least have been tight with, shows a weak or lack of continuidy in HIS judging.

Or -and this is completely wacky- the Scouts could have had a bad night full of drops?

Nah, that can't be it. And even if it was, how dare the judge not slot them into the same relative place they have been in? Sheesh, I feel your pain brother.

:worthy:

Not a SW fan, but WHY DID THEY DROP 4 POINTS???

They were not on tonight.

And Madison did the loud ending...exactly like they did last year.

And also to kill something else, I don't think that it would be a matter of the color guard judge's scores not having continuity, it just probably shows that one guard performed better than the other.

I think "continuity of jusging" is ruining drum corps and always has. Case in point: Last year at Columbus, SCV came out on fire, Cavvies came out and pooped all over the field. Who won? Of course, the Cavvies, because they had won already. BLAH. Maybe I am wrong, but if I am, someone correct me, please :) Thanks

To the color guard point raised above, actually this judge is extending the trend and consistency established last weekend, when Regiment's guard surged in Indy. They have simply continued that surge since Indy at each show. Go Regiment!!!!

Harvey

to those of you talking about bad judging.....maybe Phantom really is improving that quickly?  Maybe the Scouts show has peaked early?  Maybe the judges just saw it that way and were worried about how they've done against each other on other nights

Perish the thought. :worthy:

IMO, it seems like people like Regiment a lot when they're losing. Always pulling for them. Nice little declawed Regiment corps that is safely out of the top 4. Overrated. But when they start beating other corps, then it must be faulty judging. Sounds like an argument in favor of slotting. :blah:

Nahh...Regiment's just really good this year. Better than they've been in a long time.

Glad the judges aren't listening to the rebuke. As if judges' calls were this important for them to be scolded. If that's what they saw, then we should all defend their right to say it, particularly if you have any faith in this judging system. If you don't, then why bother talking about it at all? The corps set it up this way...they live with it.

What the judges say is reasonably important because it's a competition. But if drum corps is only about what judges say, you can have my ticket...I don't want it. The system spits out results that I don't agree with, frequently. So what? It doesn't lessen the achievement of any corps, just because they ranked behind someone else according to some judges.

FWIW, Madison has a great show...it's a really amazing season for them. And it isn't over yet!

GO PR, GO MADISON, GO EVERYBODY. B)

They were not on tonight.

And Madison did the loud ending...exactly like they did last year.

And also to kill something else, I don't think that it would be a matter of the color guard judge's scores not having continuity, it just probably shows that one guard performed better than the other.

I think "continuity of jusging" is ruining drum corps and always has. Case in point: Last year at Columbus, SCV came out on fire, Cavvies came out and pooped all over the field. Who won? Of course, the Cavvies, because they had won already. BLAH. Maybe I am wrong, but if I am, someone correct me, please :) Thanks

YES! I was at that show. SCV was the clear winner. Vanguard's staff said after the show that they were cheated (they even said they had not seen a Vanguard show that clean since 1999... even at Finals).

Continuity sucks (in judging)... corps should get the scores they deserve for that night, not the season.

YES!  I was at that show.  SCV was the clear winner.  Vanguard's staff said after the show that they were cheated (they even said they had not seen a Vanguard show that clean since 1999... even at Finals). 

Continuity sucks (in judging)... corps should get the scores they deserve for that night, not the season.

Hmmmmmm lets see:

GE Repertoire: COMBINED 20 POINTS TOTAL

20 percent of the score just based on the Repetoire given to the performers. You guys expect the individual captions on a given night to be so different that it will automatically effect the outcome.

This scoring system doesn't allow for this as much as we all want it to. AT THIS TIME OF YEAR...Corps will jump the most if they improve their GE numbers and unfortunately, a corps' design and coordination doesn't really change in comparison to another corps....unlike the performance captions which may.

However, these are just 10 point captions that many fans just expect will automatically TRUMP the bigger caption of Effect. It doesn't work that way.

Sure....SCV may have perfomed better than cavies...so that is what? a couple of tenths or more? The GE number? well....5 tenths in rep....6 tenths in showmanship...BAM....still over a 1 point spread...despite a gain in individual captions.

Just trying to be devils advocate here.

Peace