Kiss my support goodbye II

Your DCI bias is showing. DCA was founded in 1964, recognized the World Open winners (Hurricaines) as champions that season and held their 1st official championship in 1965 (Reading Buccaneers).

There are also several DCA corps who have switched to Bb/F. but Bristol will still be LOUD  b**bs

Well, this part of the DCP world is about junior corps, so it's not all that wrong.

Mike

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this part of the DCP world is about junior corps, so it's not all that wrong.

Mike

I don't get the dichotomy. If the question is about breaking away from the veterans' organizations the answer is DCA, followed by DCI. To tailor the answer for a specific discussion group is historical denial. It would be like saying that John Sasso, Frank Dorritie, George Tuthill, and Bobby Hoffman hadn't made a name in Sr. corps before going to Garfield in 1969.

So, drum and bugle corps became unique (and great) by breaking away from woodwinds, now they want them back?!?!? :blush:  :blink:  :blink:

Well yes but only if you mean George Hopkins when you say "they." I don't know anybody personally who is for woodwinds in DC and I'd imagine even the most progressive people on this site aren't for it either.

I don't get the dichotomy. If the question is about breaking away from the veterans' organizations the answer is DCA, followed by DCI. To tailor the answer for a specific discussion group is historical denial. It would be like saying that John Sasso, Frank Dorritie, George Tuthill, and Bobby Hoffman hadn't made a name in Sr. corps before going to Garfield in 1969.

Oh, looking at the totality of drum corps you are absolutely correct.

I tend to think that in this particular forum senior corps is not even considered in thinking about answers. Just as in the DCA forum junior corps are not part of the equation. It's not a big deal, IMO.

Mike

There had been some talk on this thread (and at least one other I've seen) about whether all of the dancing on the field is appropriate or whether it's taking drum corps in an unnecessary or unwanted direction.  I just want to make sure you  know something before you judge the corps that are doing more body movement on the field that could be considered "dancing" by the horns and drums:

The Santa Clara Vanguard is beng told by the visual judges that (and I'm paraphrasing here) they are getting less credit for the product they have on the field (as of a few weeks ago) because they don't do enough dancing. The JUDGES are telling them they would have a higher score if the horns and drums danced more. (The other corps that are near SCV as of few weeks ago all have parts of their shows that are essentially dance features.)

Please take that under advisement when directing your "anti-dancing" energy. The activity could be moving in that direction due in part because the judges DCI has cultivated like all the dancing and want it to continue to become more of a dominant part of the shows.

It may not just be a case of corps deciding to disrespect the old and create something new (and in the opinions of some, something new and less appropriate.)  If the judges are giving them a choice between an automatic rise in score if they do something the fans may not necessarily all agree on - or being kept down by the numbers till they do... I'm sure some of them are making artistic decisions these days based on their desire to remain competitive.  No matter what new slogan the marketers come up with, it's foremost, a competition.

remember the judges only go after what is written into the sheets by the voting staffs and directors

There had been some talk on this thread (and at least one other I've seen) about whether all of the dancing on the field is appropriate or whether it's taking drum corps in an unnecessary or unwanted direction.  I just want to make sure you  know something before you judge the corps that are doing more body movement on the field that could be considered "dancing" by the horns and drums:

The Santa Clara Vanguard is beng told by the visual judges that (and I'm paraphrasing here) they are getting less credit for the product they have on the field (as of a few weeks ago) because they don't do enough dancing. The JUDGES are telling them they would have a higher score if the horns and drums danced more. (The other corps that are near SCV as of few weeks ago all have parts of their shows that are essentially dance features.)

Please take that under advisement when directing your "anti-dancing" energy. The activity could be moving in that direction due in part because the judges DCI has cultivated like all the dancing and want it to continue to become more of a dominant part of the shows.

It may not just be a case of corps deciding to disrespect the old and create something new (and in the opinions of some, something new and less appropriate.)  If the judges are giving them a choice between an automatic rise in score if they do something the fans may not necessarily all agree on - or being kept down by the numbers till they do... I'm sure some of them are making artistic decisions these days based on their desire to remain competitive.  No matter what new slogan the marketers come up with, it's foremost, a competition.

Not good. I loved our show in '93 but sometimes I feel we opened up a can of worms we can't close. Penalizing corps for NOT doing something is rediculous. They should be judged on what they ARE doing. I'm not 100% against "expressive movement" but for corps to feel pressure to arbitrarily put some in their show is a crock. This is the main reason I usually don't like the dance because if not done well and with purpose, it looks half baked.

Well yes but only if you mean George Hopkins when you say "they."  I don't know anybody personally who is for woodwinds in DC and I'd imagine even the most progressive people on this site aren't for it either.

Fiedler wanted em for I&E. thats step 1 in the process.

I borrowed this from the xKingsmen forum. I'm sure the author doesn't mind.

There's no emphasis on pride, dedication, or musicianship. I've actually been losing my interest in attending shows as of late. I agree with many when I say that what these young adults put together impresses me less and less as the years go by. Where are all the goosebumps I once had while these people put on shows

As a YOUNG person, I would like to see a little more discipline and snap come back into the organization! That's my two cents..

If you don't see pride and dedication on the field you are missing the boat. I have also attended shows for atleast the last 25 years and have watched many changes. The two things that have not changed are pride and dedication. Practicing in 98 degree weather for 8 hours a day must show some dedication even to you. You might want to go watch the marine silent drill team over and over. They seem more toward your limited tastes.

Guest DrumCorpFan

Always remember that it is the corps (directors of the BoD) that tell the judges what to score highly. Dancing is apparently one as well as amp usage. Both cases where we have heard judges telling corps that using an "optional choice" is necessary to advance their scores more.