Kiss my support goodbye II

Guest DrumCorpFan
Well yes but only if you mean George Hopkins when you say "they."  I don't know anybody personally who is for woodwinds in DC and I'd imagine even the most progressive people on this site aren't for it either.

MikeD wants them, just ask him.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't see pride and dedication on the field you are missing the boat.  I have also attended shows for atleast the last 25 years and have watched many changes.  The two things that have not changed are pride and dedication.  Practicing in 98 degree weather for 8 hours a day must show some dedication even to you.  You might want to go watch the marine silent drill team over and over.  They seem more toward your limited tastes.

What you just did is not fair. You went to an Anaheim Kingsmen site, exported his or hers' quote over here and then make a snide comment to them as if they will know to come to DCP and respond back to you?

Mighty brave of you. I would have had more respect if you would have wrote what you did on the Kingsmen site.

Why is it so difficult for some to understand and accept that there is a faction that finds today's version of Drum Corps..........lacking? Are you so insecure in your own opinion that you can't handle a dissenting view without a cowardly insult?

Spctramur Adgendo

Edited by greggmanX-Kingsmen

Not good.  I loved our show in '93 but sometimes I feel we opened up a can of worms we can't close.  Penalizing corps for NOT doing something is rediculous.  They should be judged on what they ARE doing.  I'm not 100% against "expressive movement" but for corps to feel pressure to arbitrarily put some in their show is a crock.  This is the main reason I usually don't like the dance because if not done well and with purpose, it looks half baked.

Bravo, and amen! :blink:

What you just did is not fair.  You went to an Anaheim Kingsmen site, exported his or hers' quote over here and then make a snide comment to them as if they will know to come to DCP and respond back to you?

Kidding right? At risk of appearing oblivious, RJB just quoted the orginal poster. That original poster, one of your Kingsmen brothers, was the one who exported that quote as if it were handed down from Sinai.

There's never golden calf around when you need one!

HH

What you just did is not fair.  You went to an Anaheim Kingsmen site, exported his or hers' quote over here and then make a snide comment to them as if they will know to come to DCP and respond back to you?

Mighty brave of you. I would have had more respect if you would have wrote what you did on the Kingsmen site.

Say what?

The post from the Kingsmen site was copied and pasted here by one of the Anaheim folks. That is what the furor has been all about in this thread.

Mike

Why is it so difficult for some to understand and accept that there is a faction that finds today's version of Drum Corps..........lacking?  Are you so insecure in your own opinion that you can't handle a dissenting view without a cowardly insult?

Spctramur Adgendo

Hey RJB,

I owe you an apology! I've seen the error in my ways and accused you of something one of my own bretheren did, not you.

I apologize to you.

Me dumb.

Septramur Adgendo

I don't understand what's so "progressive" about adding woodwinds to drum and bugle corps. Am I a reactionary for not wanting a piano in an A Cappella chior or brass in a string band?

Holy Mummers Batman  :sshh:

I don't know if you would be reactionary about wanting those things. Personally, I don't care about acappella choir or string bands so I have no opinion on the scenarios you present. However, I do care about drum corps so I do have an opinion.

What's progressive about adding woodwinds to drum and bugle corps is that it would definitely cease to be drum corps in my mind. It would be summer marching band plain and simple. Many believe that what we have now is not drum and bugle corps since there are no longer bugles on the field. I don't happen to fall into that camp, but I see their point.

There are so many more reasons I am oposed to woodwinds in drum corps from a musical, cosmetic, and practical point of view that it would take a whole 'nother thread for me to express my opinion on this. Most importantly for me personally, I would not have been attracted to this activity to begin with if it had woodwinds in it.

Name Calling Removed

No pride? No dedication? No MUSICIANSHIP????? Are you completely OUT OF YOUR MIND????

He's expressing an opinion. Is that OK with you, or are you the internet police?

This kid never even marched drum corps!!

There are those who would say that neither have you. Bb brass, amplification, dancing, etc., have been part of the marching band scene for decades, as drum corps blew them away. Now the powers-that-be want to make it more like the bands. So your point may be moot.

Anybody who says they're impressed less and less as years go by..... I challenge you to get through one day with a top 12 junior corps, let alone a morning basics session! That goes for the legacy nay-sayers AND this 22 year old genious!

Been there, done that, got a few T-shirts. Do you think it was any diferent 30 years ago? If you do, you are sadly mistaken, IMO.

Oh yeah, and whoever this kid is... you want to criticize the corps for trying their hardest to sell souvaniers????? Have you seen what gas prices are these days???? Over the summer these corps travel 15,000 miles with 3 BUSSES AND 2 BIG RIGS!!! Let's put you in charge of a corps' finances for a year and see what better ideas you come up with!

People who post garbage like this on the internet are insulting me and all the countless kids who have marched in the past few years. You obviously have no idea how much dedication, pride, and discipline go into it. And you obviously went to shows with cotton in your ears if you didn't hear the musicianship.

It depends on what corps and what years you're talking about, and how it's percieved by the listener. Blue Devils' show in 2003 sounded like "Wayne Downey's Best Horn Riffs" to me. Where was the melodic line? Buried in a lot of gimmicks, IMO. Big brass blasts amid little drum breaks with 16th-note rolls isn't musicianship.

I make it a rule to never discourage anybody from going to shows, but I hope this guy never shows his face in a stadium for as long as he may live.

Yup, push enough people out the door and ticket/souvenir sales will be through the roof! Good thing you're not in charge of finances.

KEEP THIS POLLUTION OFF THE INTERNET!!!!!!!

Ah, the internet policeman has resurfaced.

genious

souvaniers

:blink:

I know what you mean. The lack of English skills makes my head hurt, too.

Garry