Pretend Your George Hopkins

In this pretend world, the Cadets have just won another championship and the Crossmen finished out of finals. Now, take the 2 emotions...happiness :) (Cadets win) and disappointment :( (Crossmen not in finals). On George's "Emotion See-Saw" with Happiness on one side and Disappoinment on the other, which way does the see-saw go? In other words, is he more happy with a Cadet win or more disappointed with a 13th place Crossmen?

Sunday after finals for George: adding up reciepts for merchandize, wincing at fuel bill for two touring corps, feilding phone calls from happy supporters- 50% "we won!" 50% "we made finals!". Oh yea, slight hangover from champagne and slight headache thinking about marching band next week......

Side note: He marched Crossmen...but he is a Cadet through and through.

BOOTS

i'd be looking for everything i didn't like about the show so I could comment about it on the DVD's.

I'd say his emotions are elation for the Cadets until it is time to make decisions about Crossmen staff. Then his disappointment will come out, and he'll make some tough decisions. Here's guessing that heads will roll in the Crossmen camp. Right or wrong, I'm not sure. I will say this - if the powers that be in YEA felt the previous staff wasn't getting the job done, what can they be thinking about this staff?

And before I speculate too much more, does anybody know why Dean Musson wasn't invited back? My assumption is that Crossmen finished 9th twice in a row. I could be dead wrong about this. Please enlighten me if anybody knows...

i'd be looking for everything i didn't like about the show so I could comment about it on the DVD's.

I love when george does this, its the most humble think a director can do, point out where they made mistakes.

But in all seriousness, on sunday night after finals George will be sitting in a hot tub somewhere with some cheap alcohol whistling the theme from kill bill........It's Monday morning, with that bad hangover that he will start thinking about why crossmen didnt make finals. (even though i think they will, but thats a little favoritism)

But he cant really be that angry, even though he is exec of YEA and oversees the crossmen, the past couple of years he's stepped back in terms of his involvement overall with the corps, to try and let them become more independent. so i guess this tells him, hey that might not have been a good idea.

sidenote: on a very light-hearted comment, don't you think it would just be hilarious and totally ironic if while drunk and celebrating he ran into a closed door :blink:

And the next day, he finds the most awesome Starbucks............  Happily ever after...........

As much as he patronizes Starbucks, they really should be an official YEA! sponsor. Or, better yet...

Journey of the Coffee Bean: Cadets 2006. :P

I'd say his emotions are elation for the Cadets until it is time to make decisions about Crossmen staff.  Then his disappointment will come out, and he'll make some tough decisions.  Here's guessing that heads will roll in the Crossmen camp.  Right or wrong, I'm not sure.  I will say this - if the powers that be in YEA felt the previous staff wasn't getting the job done, what can they be thinking about this staff?

And before I speculate too much more, does anybody know why Dean Musson wasn't invited back?  My assumption is that Crossmen finished 9th twice in a row.  I could be dead wrong about this.  Please enlighten me if anybody knows...

Well...you are indeed speculating. As a member of the Crossmen's staff from 2000 - 2003 I can say that first off...not all of us who worked together during that time were technically "let go".

Some, like myself, just couldn't give them the time that they wanted me to give so I sadly decided not to return. Sad because I would miss the many, many friends in volunteers, members and staff that I made....but happy because I had taught 7 straight years doing full tours and as a HS Band Director...I just needed the break.

There were of course people on the staff over that time who were not offered another year, but to insinuate that there was an immediate wholesale shift of staff during the past five years.....well that is just not entirely correct.

People who worked with us are still there. Aaron Goldberg (Baritone Soloist 2000 & 2001), Al Chez, Larry M, Tricia Gooley.....they continue to do an oustanding job as great teachers and people. I am amazed Larry can do what he does knowing all that faces him when he gets off tour....i am already busy in band mode.

As for the question about Dean Musson....he was in fact invited back as corps director after the 2003 season. You may also recall he served as Brass Caption Head AND Corps Director in 2002 AND 2003. I was always amazed how he did it. People like him are truly special and I am proud to have been associated with the Crossmen during his tenure as Corps Director and Jeff Bridges' as well.

As for the current Xmen staff....I am sure they are great teachers and from all i've heard, the members are touring well and having a great time. They are working hard and will continue to push for Finals.

I wish all associated with the Crossmen (Past, Present and Future) the best of luck. I know that come Foxboro, they will continue the tradition of the Crossmen bringing down the house and entertaining every person in that stadium.

As always....my 2 cents!

Peace

Edited by decompressed