Cabs Alumni Primer For DCI Semifinals

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump - And interested in what current DCI fans thought of a '70s style Sr show done by a great Alumni corps. Talk about a totally different style to close the evening.

I may be mistaken but wasn't Bill Hayes the original soloist? I know they played it as early as 1960, but Cherry Pink was their "production number" before that and it was Bill's signature tune.

"Flamenco Soloists":

The "Original" 'Flamenco Soloist' MAY have been Jimmy D'Amico. He is listed (Along with the late Don Angelica) as 'soloist' on the 1961 Fleetwood pressing of "The Music of the Hawthorne Caballeros", concert & "feild" recordings.

Mr D'Amico was also the Caballeros Alumni Corps "Original Flamenco Soloist" in 1995 when the corps was founded and "Flamenco" was 'Brought Back'.

Mr Mike DelVechio, a Caballeros member, and "Back Up Solist" from the 1950s & 1960s usually plays the primary solo effort at the present time. Mr Frank Ponzo performs the "Finale".

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

These guys lit up the crowd last night - from the second Frank Ponzo nailed that Bull Call through the Rumps and all through their repertoire, these guys were on fire and were a true crowd favorite. As a recent ageout, I very much appreciate the history and the class the Hawthorne Caballeros alumni represent for this activity. :)

These guys lit up the crowd last night - from the second Frank Ponzo nailed that Bull Call through the Rumps and all through their repertoire, these guys were on fire and were a true crowd favorite.  As a recent ageout, I very much appreciate the history and the class the Hawthorne Caballeros alumni represent for this activity. :)

"On Fire":

A truly wonderfull performance. I know Mr Costello was watching, from the "Best seat in the House".

OLE!!! :blush:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

I first saw the Cabs in 1959. When they poked their heads into the light last night I knew exactly what to expect and I was not disapointed! They knocked the stands down! Hearing their music brought back many memories and the color presentation brought everybody to their feet. The corps performed well and it was a great stroll down memory lane. Thanks Cabs!

^OO^ ^OO^

"Flamenco Soloists":

The "Original" 'Flamenco Soloist' MAY have been Jimmy D'Amico.  He is listed (Along with the late Don Angelica) as 'soloist' on the 1961 Fleetwood pressing of "The Music of the Hawthorne Caballeros", concert & "feild" recordings.

Mr D'Amico was also the Caballeros Alumni Corps "Original Flamenco Soloist" in 1995 when the corps was founded and "Flamenco" was 'Brought Back'.

Mr Mike DelVechio, a Caballeros member, and "Back Up Solist" from the 1950s & 1960s usually plays the primary solo effort at the present time.  Mr Frank Ponzo performs the "Finale".

Elphaba

2005 Cabs Alumni Soloists

Frank Ponzo - Call to the Bulls

Frank Ponzo, Steve Raclowski, John "Duke" Terreri - Espana Cani Trio

Rich Andretta - Bari Solo - El Barrio

Frank Ponzo - El Barrio Solo

Steve Raclowski & Duke Terreri - El Barrio Duet

Steve Raclowski - MacArthur Park Solo 1

Frank Ponzo - MacPark Solo 2

Steve Raclowski & Duke Terreri - MacPark Duet

Frank Ponzo - MacPark Solo 3

Steve Raclowski - Solo 1 "Cha-Cha-Cha Flamenco" (The REAL name of the song)

Frank Ponzo - Solo 2 Cha-Cha

Frank, Steve & Duke - Cha-Cha Trio

Rich Andretta (Bari), Frank Bentivegna (Bari), Tony Famelio (Mello), Bob Kienle (Bari), Maria Overton (Sop), Frank Ponzo (Sop), Steve Raclowski (Sop), Duke Terreri (Sop) - Octet Samba de Orpheus

Frank Ponzo - Cabs Signature Ending

Mike DelVecchio - Cherry Pink Main Solo

Frank Ponzo - Cherry Pink Ending

There you have it!!

"Flamenco Soloists":

The "Original" 'Flamenco Soloist' MAY have been Jimmy D'Amico.  He is listed (Along with the late Don Angelica) as 'soloist' on the 1961 Fleetwood pressing of "The Music of the Hawthorne Caballeros", concert & "feild" recordings.

Elphaba

Hayes was in Miami in '61 so I know it wasn't him then. I think the 1st year of Flamenco was '60 and Bill could have possibly done the solo that year. Or may it was Angelica.