Words Of Consolation

In other words, then, you don't actually have any evidence that anyone did anything wrong, am I correct? <sigh> I've just never been much of one for the whole "blame the judges" game. (Reminds me of Madison Scouts fans in 2002.) Just 'cause you don't like the result doesn't mean the judging was crooked.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've read the thread, and thought for a long time.....

I think at some point in the season every corps gets frustrated with the 'rewards' or lack there of by the judging community. However, the fact that a whole organization feels this way is kind of disturbing. When I was teaching with a corps, if the staff felt that the corps was being treated "unfairly" by the judges, we wouldn't share that with the kids, cause that isn't where they should be focussing their attention. Instead, we tell them about the positive feedback from the judges and push them harded to improve and get the most out of their performace experience.

By the sounds of it, the corps in question had some big hopes coming into this season and when they weren't handed what they wanted they got frustrated. I have a good idea which corps is in question here.....They have been posting all summer long on DCP about how they should have beat this corps, and that corps but didn't.

To finish this off.....Divison 2 is extrememly competitive this year....All corps in should be extremely proud of where they end up....When the lowest score for the Division is an 84...you know these corps are throwing down Awesome performances.

Gee, it sounds like this is starting to turn into a fight about judging.

Can we please stop?

I have explained that I'm resolved to the situation.

I've clarified that "the entire organization" probably doesn't express the same sentiments. That it's more MY OPINION. OK?

OF COURSE the staff doesn't share their sentiments with the kids. But the kids aren't stupid; they know what's going on.

If I had facts to back up my opinion, where would I present them?

On this forum?...........I think not.

Mixed in with the wonderful people who have helped me to "re-focus" on what the whole thing's about (thanks again) are a group of "passionate" individuals who want to fight. You win......I don't want to play....

I respectfully submit that the large majority of the "passionate" individuals who support the staus quo have been on the favorable side of that situation. Perhaps I would be the same way if the situation was reversed.......human nature?

Although I am involved with a specific corps, I've come to realize that this could be about ANY corps. I know now what to tell my child. I can now do it in a cheerful and inspiring way.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

And oh......you can bait me all you want. This is my last post about this subject. I fear it will turn into something REALLY ugly. Too bad, because for a while there it was something beautiful and inspriing.

Edited by DciDadx1

Ask your kid how he feels at the end of a performance.

That's what drum corp is about.

That what he/she should take with him.

Can anyone here tell me Spartans are "better" than East Coast or Fever

or that Caviliers are "better" than Cadets or Troopers.

DCI does the best they can do to judge this activity but the true goal is not to find the best corp but to set a standard of performance that drives the activity to higher levels of achievement.

Without the 2nd thru 20th place corps shows would be short and boring affairs.

So tell your kid your proud of him and you love him and because of him drum corp is a great activity. The judges are just a small part of it.

And their opinions??? well...they are just opinions. You know the truth.

Your kid marches with winners!!!!

If we're talking about the Spartans here.......and I have a pretty reasonable suspicion to think that we are.......then I am completely confounded at the entire premise of this post.

???? He mentions low GE scores. Not the Spartans. More importantly he doesn't mention what Corps, so as not to turn his statement into a statement by his Corps. I respect that. If others here don't maybe you should check your motives for wanting to know which Corps.

???? He mentions low GE scores.  Not the Spartans.  More importantly he doesn't mention what Corps, so as not to turn his statement into a statement by his Corps.  I respect that.  If others here don't maybe you should check your motives for wanting to know which Corps.

Edited, because I'm tired of this nonsense

Edited by SOMF69

As an alumni of the Golden Age of Drum Corps back in the 60's - I can certainly attest that blaming the judges is a traditional pastime. Drum corp competitions are no different from any other activity involving judges. We see it at every level of competition right up to the world championship levels. Are there judges who perhaps can't separate their preference for particular styles - absolutely. Are their judges who perhaps have something personal against certain corp management or instructors - perhaps - but I think those are in the very small miniority - if indeed any are in today's activity.

To the distraught Dad - you've seen the string here strongly advising that its all about the fun and learning experience with the competition results being the add-on. Unfortunately, the scores are visible, acknowldeged ratings of how good you and your corp performed. It is natural for all of us to want to win or get a score we feel we deserve. It does not always work out.

As a DC Dad, the best thing you can do is always focus on the positives with your child. Don't dwell on the negatives such as results. That's what my parents did when I was competing. There were lots of shows where I thought we 'were screwed'. Reality was that the other corps performed better - period.

I was with a NJ corp which was always right behind BS, Garfield and St Lucy's. I recall one Legion State Championship at Wildwood where we managed somehow to take/tie for top scores in percussion/brass and 2 out of 3 GE categories - yet still finished 4th. Our achilles heal - one M&M judge who pounded us with a 4 point differential from the other judge. It happenned, but you know what - we always had FUN at Wildwood and that's what I still remember and cherish.

The experience is what it is all about and it was and still is phenomenal !

Edited by coloradocorp

I’m the parent of a first-year child in a junior corps. 

I’m looking for help for words of consolation to say to my child.

With all due respect, why not look for "WORDS OF PRAISE" ???

Part of growing up is learning to put things in perspective and to accept things you cannot control.

I'm a single mom of a first year corps participant. He has loved every single minute of the corps..the traveling, the heat, performing, traveling, buses, etc.

The only disappointment he had the entire season, was when his dad promised to go to a specific show, and not only didn't show up, didn't even try to contact his son and let him know that he would not be there.

Kudos to ALL parents who love and support their children in drum corps.

No matter what my son does in the future, he will always have the memories of this summer. Just to make a corps has been a long dream of his. How many people get to realize their dreams? That alone to me is priceless.

Good luck to all corps in Massachusetts!