Pasadena 2007

I've always been in favor of pooling pit resources.  Why does every corps have to reinvent a set of timpani's?  Of course other than for everyone to practice with, the massive "trains" that go in and out of the fields are really unnecessary.  Host corps should make available all of the standard equipment and then let each individual corps haul whatever extra they want down to the field. 

btw, Miss Ortiz, can you change your font?  It hurts my eyes to read your small print. 

Dan

Hey! dsaeger

Is that alot better now!

B) :rolleyes::worthy:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should DCI decide to have the Div II/III competition somewhere other than the Rose Bowl, there are a couple of excellent options. One would be East Los Angeles College. There have been lots of corps shows there over the years, and it's not too far from Pasadena. Citrus College in Glendora is great for drum corps. Very vertical, so climbing the stands isn't easy...but it's worth it when you get there, especially for drill freaks!

Any way you look at it, anyone planning to attend championships in SoCal needs to plan lots of travel time. The standard answer for travel time in SoCal is "about 20 minutes." Don't believe it!

Major companies will not be shutting down for DCI, like they did for the Olympics in 1984. Plan lots of travel time between locations.

Garry

Wonder what would happen if some corps formed "co-ops" (just thinking out loud) to share travel expenses?  Wouldn't that be a hoot to see competitors like ECJ and Jersey Surf combining somehow FINANCIALLY to share costs?  Don't ask me how--like I said, I'm just thinking out loud.  But what a interesting idea to have competitors stay competitive but have a "good sportsmanship" approach to assist in the common good of getting kids to the west coast.

On top of this--local amusements (we have a few out here--yuck yuck) that could provide somehow nice "go to" places for these kids.

I'm not going to look at this as a lose-lose option--rather, an exciting opportunity for some groups to really flex their marketing and money muscle to provide what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for their kids to get out here.  And to what better city?  Well....I AM biased.

This is something that I've been for for a long time. Drum corps work very well together when there is a common goal. Here are some other things to consider if forming a cooperative to reach the goal of finals week in SoCal.

Scheduling/housing - DCI would have to assist corps in a cooperative with scheduling and housing. Even if two corps traveling together were in two shows equi-distant from their housing site, it would give them an opportunity to compete with other corps. At two-night regionals, have them go on opposite nights.

Food - Cavaliers have ben using Sysco for their tour needs for years. They have a corporate account, and the food is delivered directly to their housing site. This allows them to plan in advance, and saves time and expense by not having to go to Sam's Club, Costco or Smart & Final, and they can be billed to their corps office instead of carrying cash.

Transportation - The days of owning and maintaining a fleet of busses is coming to an end. Many corps use charters now. Is it possible to get lower rates if several corps went to a charter company as part of a coorperative? Companies like Greyhound have nationwide charter services. Has DCI ever approached Greyhound as a sponsor for charter services? Corps from the east and midwest could travel to the west by bus and fly home. Corps from the west could fly to their first shows in the east or midwest and bus back to California.

Tourism - I'm sure most people know that SoCal is a major tourist destination. Amusment parks offer group rates. So do the Angels and Dodgers, and hotels, airlines, etc.. The corps could arrange this for fans that are making the trip. (They might even be able to use it as a fundraiser.)

I'm sure there are more ideas out there, so why not turn this thread into a positive one?

:)

Garry

Should DCI decide to have the Div II/III competition somewhere other than the Rose Bowl, there are a couple of excellent options. One would be East Los Angeles College. There have been lots of corps shows there over the years, and it's not too far from Pasadena. Citrus College in Glendora is great for drum corps. Very vertical, so climbing the stands isn't easy...but it's worth it when you get there, especially for drill freaks!

And if you march at Citrus, you'd better be in shape....the likely warm up area is on the far side of the campus and it was like the Bataan Death March when Dream did it's inagural performance there in 03...

Any way you look at it, anyone planning to attend championships in SoCal needs to plan lots of travel time. The standard answer for travel time in SoCal is "about 20 minutes." Don't believe it!

Oh come on, Garry....20 minutes is PLENTY of time to drive anywhere in the LA basin....as long as that trip is within a 1/2 mile in total length!

Transportation - The days of owning and maintaining a fleet of busses is coming to an end. Many corps use charters now. Is it possible to get lower rates if several corps went to a charter company as part of a coorperative? Companies like Greyhound have nationwide charter services. Has DCI ever approached Greyhound as a sponsor for charter services? Corps from the east and midwest could travel to the west by bus and fly home. Corps from the west could fly to their first shows in the east or midwest and bus back to California.

If not greyhound sponsoring, I could definitely see a couple of smaller Div II corps teaming up on busses...but it would require them to do all the same shows together...not a bad thing, tho.

I just hope that those D2/3 corps that aren't able to handle the financial costs of a trip to California '07 do decide not to try and make the trip, endangering their very survival in the process. Not to sound harsh, but west coast corps have been dealing with this for ages. Now we Easterners know how they feel. Look at the strategies adopted by corps like Arizona Academy and the SCV Cadets ... you don't necessarily need to attend Finals every season to be a success. If it's going to put your organization in a hole too deep to climb out of, perhaps it's better not to try.

In any case, I definitely do like the idea of a D2/3 "Super-Regional," probably somewhere in the Midwest a week or two before Finals so that the corps who can't make the trip to the west coast could still experience something like a championship atmosphere. I don't know if anyone at DCI is thinking along those lines, but I'd love to see it.

edit: dumb typo

Edited by Orpheus

if you're that concerned, maybe you could start saving up money to help pay for their tour costs?

it doesn't matter where there are more corps geographically.  it's bad enough that the I in DCI is BS, it's not DCNorthEast....

two years is plenty of time.  maybe do as some of the west coast d2/3s do and not go to madison to save up. 

:blink:

please realize however that many div 2/3 organization barely make it through season to season...every year we hear of financial issues with corps such as with LVK this year and even a strong organization such as the patriots in years past

these are not organization with as much financial backin and DCI support as BD or the Cadets of Cavies :worthy:

please realize however that many div 2/3 organization barely make it through season to season...every year we hear of financial issues with corps such as with LVK this year and even a strong organization such as the patriots in years past

these are not organization with as much financial backin and DCI support as BD or the Cadets of Cavies  :blink:

If you don't mind, I'd like to submit a minor correction. Unlike CoH and 'canos, LVK did not fold for financial reasons (nor were membership issues to blame either). Thanks!

Did LVK not field because of membership?  It was a cheap shot by YEA to come into Allentown to set up shop.  A REAL CHEAPSHOT...............thats LVK territory.

No, there was enough membership interest also (especially in the colorguard). Though I agree that YEA's presence would've limited any long-term growth (I couldn't imagine Allentown sustaining 3 DivI corps), there could've been enough members to match the maximum capabilities of LVK's infrastructure (80-90 members). It was a shame they moved since we were there first, but YEA would not have been the demise of LVK. Instead, there were issues that I'd prefer not to discuss and are probably best left unsaid. No, LVK did not fall victim to the two "traditional" killers of drum corps (lack of money or lack of membership). To put it in the most PC manner possible, let's just say it folded due to an administrative collapse.

Did LVK not field because of membership?  It was a cheap shot by YEA to come into Allentown to set up shop.  A REAL CHEAPSHOT...............thats LVK territory.

I don't know if I like being put into the position of defenting George Hopkins and YEA, even tho I've done it in the past from time-to-time, but the word "cheapshot" implies something intentional ... I doubt Hopkins' reasons for moving YEA to Allentown had anything to do with LVK's presence. Besides, Cadets and Crossmen recruit nationally or semi-nationally. How many of their members come from the area right around Allentown? Compared to what percentage of LVK's members?