Pasadena 2007

Wonder what would happen if some corps formed "co-ops" (just thinking out loud) to share travel expenses? Wouldn't that be a hoot to see competitors like ECJ and Jersey Surf combining somehow FINANCIALLY to share costs? Don't ask me how--like I said, I'm just thinking out loud. But what a interesting idea to have competitors stay competitive but have a "good sportsmanship" approach to assist in the common good of getting kids to the west coast.

On top of this--local amusements (we have a few out here--yuck yuck) that could provide somehow nice "go to" places for these kids.

I'm not going to look at this as a lose-lose option--rather, an exciting opportunity for some groups to really flex their marketing and money muscle to provide what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for their kids to get out here. And to what better city? Well....I AM biased.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing...what a great way to recruit for a group back east to say "West Coast Bound!! Join the excitement" or something like that. Heck, we may get a bunch of 135 member strong Division II's!!!

If Pasadena, CA is actually the site of the 2007 Finals......does anyone else fear that it will be the least attended Div II/III Finals week? 

Honestly, how many of the smaller Div III and some Div II corps from the Midwest/East will not be able to make the trip all the way west. 

This is horrible for Div II/III.

(and yes I know that there are corps from out west that don't get the chance to go to finals every year...and that sucks.  And for that reason, I'm happy they are going out West.   But still there are a ton more Div II/III corps from the Midwest/East than from the West.)

I think it would be a great ideal to have DCI Championships for Division II/III and I in West Coast would be awasome! Its about time that it show up to the West Coast. And yes, it would cost more for Division II/III Corps to come down here but it would be well worth it at the end!

B) :worthy::ph34r: :)

Edited by PitTech

Wonder what would happen if some corps formed "co-ops" (just thinking out loud) to share travel expenses?  Wouldn't that be a hoot to see competitors like ECJ and Jersey Surf combining somehow FINANCIALLY to share costs?  Don't ask me how--like I said, I'm just thinking out loud.  But what a interesting idea to have competitors stay competitive but have a "good sportsmanship" approach to assist in the common good of getting kids to the west coast.

Ryan...This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. The East Coast DII/III's and the Midwest DII/III's should get together and form a partnership to pool resources and team up to get out here. In fact, I would say that the West Coast groups should do the same thing when traveling back to the Midwest/East.

It would benefit in sharing housing costs, bus costs...AND it would go a long way in making sure the maximum number of smaller corps got out to Pasadena. Heck, I'd even volunteer to research funding options.

Just my 2 cents...

"California Bound!" I like the sound of that. Working on recruiting with the Bandettes, (who did not tour this summer) this will be a nice tool to work with. Bandettes have never been to California, Denver was our furthest trip west. With limited space on our vehicles, if you (new girls) don't get into the corps this year, you might miss out next year. Or something like that. Gives us something to think about and work with. I like it!

Ryan...This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.  The East Coast DII/III's and the Midwest DII/III's should get together and form a partnership to pool resources and team up to get out here.  In fact, I would say that the West Coast groups should do the same thing when traveling back to the Midwest/East.

It would benefit in sharing housing costs, bus costs...AND it would go a long way in making sure the maximum number of smaller corps got out to Pasadena.  Heck, I'd even volunteer to research funding options.

Just my 2 cents...

I've always been in favor of pooling pit resources. Why does every corps have to reinvent a set of timpani's? Of course other than for everyone to practice with, the massive "trains" that go in and out of the fields are really unnecessary. Host corps should make available all of the standard equipment and then let each individual corps haul whatever extra they want down to the field.

btw, Miss Ortiz, can you change your font? It hurts my eyes to read your small print.

Dan

I really don't think DCI cares about how many II/III corps show up in SoCal.

I agree, DCI isn't really concerned. I"m sure they'll find a nice high school stadium for the div II/III corps to perform in (and during daylight hours too!)

remember how far Orlando is? Boston is? it's a matter of perspective. Pasadena/San Diego are equally "remote" to eastern and some canadian corps.

And there IS two years to plan, so what's the big deal?

if DCI is wise, they'll schedule 2008 in the midwest again so they can have it on the east coast...yet again. and then the western corps will have two years to plan of course.

Well, Madison in 2006 is only using Camp Randall...not a separate one for DII/III.

If they go with that formula, then there won't be an issue...

If, on the other hand, they go with the two-stadium concept, I have a perfect location: Pasadena City College. They have new turf, it's close to the Rose Bowl, it's the same stadium that the Tournament of Roses Band Festival is performed in...and it's a reasonably sized facility.

Either way, it should work out pretty well.

The grass in the Rose Bowl can handle the extra foot-load.

It's interesting grass actually. It doesn't grow up, but rather to the side. It's like very very short curly hair almost. At least that's how I described it when I set foot on it a few years back.