What will you most remember from the 2005 season?

Really enjoyed the baseball movement (happiest pit part ever) and Sweet Home Chicago from the Cavaliers. Didn't mind the ladders, either. And they had a cool ballad, with some really great mello stuff.

Definitely dug the Cadet's drum speak, and their ballad, and the Kill Bill opening (which was totally and appropriately surreal) and most of their show. Esp. the dancing school girl part in the third or whatever drum break movement thing.

I didn't really get to see much else, because I was marching.

My first year marching corps, so I'll definitely never forget that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Good...

--Seeing Division II and III corps coming out with more entertaining shows than Div I and showing the crowds what its all about.

--Watching Colts produce an awesome show and get so close to making it back into the Top 12.

--Watching Southwind produce and awesome show and get back into Semis! (Next year = finals)

--Phantom being completely AMAZING!! (shoulda won!!)

--Bluecoats having an amazing season!

--SCV doing RCM

--Phantom Regiment's Hornline

--Phantom Regiments CG outfits, very cute.

--Nobody sang?!?!?

--Finalizing DCI 2006 in Madison

The Bad...

--Watching the Scouts and being completly non-satisfied. Just a bad show, IMO.

--Watching the Scouts use gimmicks (XL hornline, guest performer) just to get back into top 6.

--The Cadets drum speak was awful.

--Capital Regiments Sundial and the dancer that changed costumes quick but really didn't do anything else.

--Seatle Cascades and the worst use of narration this year.

--Cadets winning with a 99.15

--Phantom not winning

The Funny...

Watching the Cadets School Girls get interviewed on the Cinecast and the fact that they had absolutely NO IDEA what there show was about. LOL!!!!!!!! (ummmm.....we represent Jennifer Newman!) HAHAHAHA!!!!

The good:

1. PHANTOM'S SHOW

2. No singing.

3. ESPN2

4. SCV's music book

5. Bluecoats take fifth!! Go blooo!!

6. SCV beats Boston in Finals...hooray!

The bad:

1. Cadets win with 99.15

2. Awful "Bjork" speak/stupid "drumspeak"

3. YOWZA!

4. Blue Devils' show actually making me want to stab skewers into my eardrums

5. Top two corps...ho-hum...

6. Scout's ending...? (the sad thing is, the first ending they had was the best...)

7. Seattle Cascades' insipid narration

8. Bluecoats "tabla" vocals :worthy:

The Funny:

1. Rondinaro's "Big-bottomed" comment during the Cinecast...

2. "What is your show about?",....,"Uhhhhhh.....we.....we......we are this girl, see...."

3. YOWZA!!!

4. "Gene Kelly"'s not-so-masculine voice after Jessica on the cinecast commented about him having a couple of different girlfriends out on the field....(sarcasm on) and man, was I shocked....(sarcasm off)

5. YOWZA!!!

More bad than good this year, unfortunately...Hate to be a negative Nancy, but last year was a better year, IMO. I would have been much happier had Phantom won it all, and so would a LOT of people...What does THAT tell you? (here come the smart-aleck responses to THAT one...) Melody....what a concept...

The Good:

1) The Cavaliers not winning again (FINALLY SOMEONE NEW)

2) The Cadets' making history with a not so normal yet amazing show

3) The Cadets win all caption awards by miles.

4) Phantom Regiment kicked ace, top 3 since 1996

5) Santa Clara Vanguard shows that scores don't mean crap for a good performance

6) Bluecoats 5th, wow

7) The Cadets show how to effectively use amplification.

8) Phantom Regiment less than a point behind The Cavaliers.

The Bad:

1) Crossmen not making it into finals when having a great show.

2) Gillette Stadium isn't the best to have a DCI event

3) Losing interest in Blue Devils and Cavaliers mid-show

4) Narration thats over 5 seconds...

5) Madison Scouts not move in scores in weeks

6) SCV's uniform change.

Usually, every year there is a show that I love so much it immediately it is one of my favorites of all time.  This is the first year in a looooong time that that didn't happen.  Anyone else feel this way?

Well, for me this didn't happen. I was so impressed with so many corps that I have tons of "favorites." I can't wait to get my DVD's so I can see shows like Seattle, Mandarins, Colts, Crown, Madison, Bluecoats, Phantom and the Cavaliers again and again.... among the other groups which I'm sure I will watch equally, too.

Everyone was so strong this year...I would like to see the lower six go and compete with the top 12 10 years ago and see how they would do. Sooooo many good hornlines. And lots and lots of visual eye candy. Oh my!

SMM

The good:

Phantom's show - I have enjoyed few better - ever!

Crown's horn line - It was an experience that I will treasure.

Cavaliers' baseball movement - One of the best mixtures of music and theater

Cadets' ballad - The very best

The improvement in drill - some many corps are stepping up the visual

DCI's Season Pass - In spite of Finals, it was worth every penny

Field Pass and On the 50 - Dan and Kevin, thank you

The Cadets' members - In spite of Jethro Tull last year and how this year's show was received at the beginning of the year, you made it better than anyone thought it could be

The bad:

I'd rather remember the good

This was one of the best years. (Seems like we are saying this after each season for several years now.)

Hearing "and in first place with a 97.475".

Coming back to the bus after our encore and seeing my friend from Spartans standing there applauding us and yelling that she loved me. (I had done the same thursday when they won)

SCV enough said. lol

it was a good year after all was said and done

Bluecoats' flag toss during a silent part of the music, and the "swoosh!" of the flags being the only sound on the field. I'm sure that will be highlighted in the telecast, as well!

While I posted a full review today in the review section, I wanted to take a moment to share the things I walk away from 2005 with the most powerful memores of:

Phantom Regiment -- This whole show was simply amazing. Beautiful, High Energy, Incredibly detailed design - with every thought working perfectly. And what an incredible hornline.

Carolina Crown -- What a beautiful hornline. Drop dead gorgeous, deep, dark sound. And the incredible sound they produced at low, exposed volume levels. Double Wow. Their ballad was my goose bump moment of the year. The choreography was perfect for Sarah M.'s Angel. Wow.

Cadets -- The Cadets of old -- artistic, hearfelt -- are back. I loved the show. Highlight for me was the Dancer in the Dark Ballad where the school girl dressed as the Sorcerer "conjurs" up the drum line and puts them in line one at a time, all at the same time the hornline produces a moving and haunting ballad. Just an "enchanting" moment. Genius. Loved it.

The Crowd Reaction for Phantom Regiment -- When they announced this corps in 3rd, the Crowd started applauding, then standing, then cheering, then roaring. The showering of love the crowd on Saturday night will stay with me a long time.

There you have it. My moments of 2005. Thank you to all the corps for a strong year, but thank you especially to the Cadets, Crown and Phantom Regiment.

I think it was mentioned but hearing the crowd go wild and the load blooing when Madison was announced in 6th.

Don't take this as a bash on madison, but as a fan base for a good corps seeing history made by the 2005 bluecoats.