Death of the Cymbal Line

I must be the only one that finds them a visual distraction. I'd rather all cymbals be in the pit. Give me more horns (baritones and contras). With these Bb Horns, we need to feel more bottom around here. ^OO^

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having marched cymbals my first MD year (7h grade) i must say that cymbals are the awesomest

I would like to see the return of cymbal lines for many corps. SCV and Crossmen are the epitome's of cymbal lines of late, but even if you only look back over nine or ten years.... BD, Bluecoats, SCV, Scouts, Spirit, Cadets, etc etc. ALL marched some very proficient cymbal personnel!!

Cymbal lines will not flourish again until people educate themselves on the evolution of the marching cymbal ensemble. If you want to see what it's REALLY about, watch the WGI independent world and open DVD's from this year.

It will also take some education to the people writing the books too. Who wants to bother hiring a cymbal tech or cleaning cymbals, or any of the things involved with it, when you have no idea what your doing to that fourth staff on the page?

having marched cymbals my first MD year (7h grade) i must say that cymbals are the awesomest

Yep-same here!

9 years old,with a pair of plates just about as big as I was!

LEAVE OUR CYMBALS ALONE!!! :P

Well I actually have mixed emotions about this post. I see that this post is really backing up cymbals which is awesome (I just completed my 7th summer of drum corps and my 5th march cymbals..third summer on the Colts Cymbal line).

The reason I am mixed, is because of the credit that is not given to those who have, or who no longer have cymbal lines. Spirit was noticed, Spirit was royally missed this year...just like Bluecoats, Madison, Glassmen, Crown, and everyone else who has lost cymbal lines in the last few years.....but what about those cymbal lines still around.

Judges never give cymbal line comments...judges rarely know what to expect from a cymbal line.....I can give you any tape from the last 3 years with Colts and you will here..nice technique, or good split..and that's about it.

I keep jumping around but why this post hurts, is the lack of recpect not only for the Cymbal lines of Division One but that of Division 2 and 3. Everyone sees SCV and sees they have an intense line probably the most intense out there...you hear about SCV this SCV that....no one talks intensly about Pioneer who really suprised the #### out of me this year...or Southwind coming up...the Troopers coming back with a great Cymbal line, and of course me being biased but my cymbal line the Colts, who took home I and E after taking 2nd the last two years.

I love that people are checking out the cymbal lines...but check them all out....and I bet you would learn to appreciate cymbal lines that much more...just to get the different approaches than just intense.

1 cymbal line in the top 12 (SCV).  Scouts & Spirit, no cymbal line.

Question --- Are we witnessing the extinction of marching cymbal lines in junior drum & bugle corps?  Will this trend reverse?  Is it cyclical?  Will senior/all-ages drum & bugle corps follow suit (as they tend to over time)?

What a bummer....

i hope not. cymbals on the field ### so much color, both musically and visually. todays top plate lines split stuff like basses.

in fact, other than the usual SCV line which slays, a DCA corps is the real standard bearer for what a cymbal line can do. ####, they even make them the pulse center on tempo changes

with pits being able to cover any needed cymbal parts you really don't need cymbal lines anymore and can have 1. more brass, or 2. more guard.

sorry but there's a lot of cymbal things you can't get in the pit. many of them require two plates not on a stand to make them happen.

try playing taps or ziechens (sp) when the cymbal is on a stand

Cymbal lines are one of the few sections of a corps that is not only musical but visual as well. And yes a bad plate line is a visual distraction, but if the plate line is on, then they will bring up the scores in the visual captions or atleast in my experience they will.

I love a good plate line, having marched plates and having been a plate tech, I know how hard a good plate line works and how much pain they go through. And there were some good plate lines out there this year, however I have to give Magic a thumbs up for the little solo in their show.

The disapearance of cymbal lines is the saddest thing in the history of drum corps. Period. Not that I am biased or anything.