Woodwinds & the Demise of Drum Corps

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So everyone posting on DCP is a bunch of babies. Cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dude...did you even read my post?

To sum it up: People espousing either extreme are probably wrong. The answer probably lies somewhere in between. But implicitly calling people who feel that change in drum corps is bad "babies" just undermines what is probably a reasonable argument from you--that drum corps has to grow and change over time.

I think most of you are overreacting at something that's never going to happen.

DCI is fine, nothing's wrong. I&E has nothing to do with DCI finals, it's just simply a competitive recital for an audience sponsored by DCI.

Oi vey.

Thanks for your comments. They are appreciated.

You're welcome. Have a great day.

Fast farward twenty years from now when the crying is about:

Chrome plating saxes to match horns- "It just ain't drum corps"

Cadets use synthetic reeds- "It ain't right, we had to play on wood"

Nike makes marching shoe for Cavies- "$300 for shoes...it ain't right"

Brass Division Champ "All Girl" corps wins overall title on Sunday night, beating Cadet Band and BD sax choir- "I ain't right, they gots all girls and all bugles, it ain't fair"

News flashes: The "client" of drumcorps isn't the fans, it is the members of the corps (you paid $50 to see the show, they paid $2000.00 to march it). Jonnyboy isn't funny, but is bored. This post makes no sense now that I read it.....<enter> anyway.

Oh....and- :rolleyes:

I think most of you are overreacting at something that's never going to happen.

DCI is fine, nothing's wrong. I&E has nothing to do with DCI finals, it's just simply a competitive recital for an audience sponsored by DCI.

Oi vey.

THANK YOU!!!

i keep thinking the same thing. i love DCI the way it is (okay, a little less YOWZA wouldn't bother me), and i agree that there should NOT be woodwinds on the field. but this isn't the field--it's I&E. heck, if someone is talented enough to play a brass instrument and a woodwind, why not let them show off their musicianship?? i think bringing woodwinds into I&E is a good way to keep them off the field.

Excerts from an article at Drum Corps...Bands...International site:

<snip>

And Drum & Bugle Corps walked away a loser.  It's over.

Unless you're a fat lady - it isn't even close to being over!

I'll ask again (since you didn't answer my earlier similar question): Why do you waste your time trolling here when you obviously are not a fan of contemporary drum corps, nor do you have anything positive to say about it? Do you really have no better way to spend your time??? How sad for you....

:rolleyes: :feednotroll:

"...i agree that there should NOT be woodwinds on the field. but this isn't the field--it's I&E. ...i think bringing woodwinds into I&E is a good way to keep them off the field."

I too agree that there should NOT be woodwinds on the field but bringing woodwinds into the I&E is precisely the way to get them ONTO the field. You introduce them slowly, non-threateningly, make it palatable, plausible. "I&E no biggie." You're right where they want you. I give it 2 or 3 years 'till woodwinds are allowed on the field. What a cool horn flash to-the-box that will be. :rolleyes:

Edited by Brassop