Retreat At Finals

Sorry if this has already been asked but how did retreat go at finals? Did they even have it? Did the rookies know what the heck to do?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were there any full corps retreats during the season?

No, not in division 1, as far as I know, I only saw a full retreat at division 2/3 finals though.

I know they discussed having retreats at regionals at the BOD meeting but I don't think this took place, I know they didn't at the Orlando show. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

It was nice to see that too, and I also enjoyed seeing the corps go by and salute the stands like division 1 used too. Thanks division 2/3 corps. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

No full retreats at the 10+ shows that we attended this summer, including both locals and regionals. We really, really missed that rush you get hearing the full corps at the end. Yes, there were 2 corps each time in an arc playing the same finale, but it just wasn't the same as a couple hundred horns going full-blast at once. You didn't get goosebumps . . .

I understand doing that scaled-down finale for the smaller, high school venues. But, if they change anything this next year, I hope they add the big finales back in, at least at the regional shows. Please?????

I heard that sentiment expressed by many people sitting around me in the stands, no matter where we were . . . Orlando, San Antonio, Allentown, Newark, Louisville. It just wasn't the same without it. It's rough when you only get to experience it once a year.

Edited by Allie's mom

From what i am told no there were no full corps retreats during the season, which really is sad to see this tradition being lost. Even a newbie like me can feel the importance of retreats, and i feel they should bring them back.

A lil snoopup that i heard from my friend who marched the bluecoats the past two seasons, about retreat, was that since there had been no retreats before that season apparently their horn sargaent was running around their block telling everyone not to play the first 8 bars of america o canada, because the rookies wouldn't know since it was their first retreat that only the winning corps starts out the piece. :)

Edited by CRsop15

I only went to one show, but I only saw one corps leave early and it was maybe two hours before they would have left anyways. All of the other corps were still out in the parking lot. It also looked like all of the drum majors stayed so how exactly does the rest of the corps get on to the next city so much quicker when they leave people behind? Where does it end? They could also stop doing shows and fit a lot more rehearsal time in.

This got off topic...

At finals, the retreat went great. It sounded amazing, almost better than years prior. It was a welcome return to the field. Yes, the corps lingered on-field for way too long. After the Cadet's encore, we got out of there at 1 am. That's late.