anybody ever...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

has anybody ever been more ready to get home than i was this summer?  i think not...well, maybe.  really, my question was going to be has anybody ever hated the corps they just marched for two years at as much as i do?

Well, I think if you were that disillusioned, maybe it's time to re-evaluate why you were there, and if you want to come back.

What made you feel that way? Staff? Other members? The general way rehearsals were ran?

I know being homesick is one thing, but if you were that unhappy, perhaps its better to either move to another corps or find something that is personally rewarding for you, which doesn't neccessarily have to include drum corps.

After all, you pay the money...you should always be happy with your choices.

And furthermore, just because you signed a contract for one season doesn't mean you're obligated to keep coming back in future seasons.

But tbh, as an alumni of Cap Reg, I find it tough to believe that somebody could march two seasons with that corps and have such a negative experience that you describe.

I guess my first question is if you hated it so much the first year, why did you go back the 2nd year? As someone who volunteered for corps for several years, at the end of each season there were many kids who said, there is no way I'm coming back next year. These were the first kids at camp in December.

If you really didn't enjoy your experience the last couple of years, try to figure out the reason why. Is it the corps itself, or did you just not like getting up early in the morning after traveling on a bus all night, and working your tail off everyday? Or did you not like the music or show you were performing? Or was it the staff? The other members? Or was it the politics of drum corps in general?

If I were you I would not go back if you actually hated the last 2 years, but if you think it was just the corps itself, and you think another corps might suit you better, then definitely try out for a different corps.

Thank you for your performance in drum corps the last 2 years, and best of luck to you in the future.

drum corps, working hard, all night bus rides, long rehearsal days, bursting every ounce of energy out of me at every performance to end up in a dissapointing 15th place is not what bothers me about capital regiment...i am absolutely proud of what my group has done (for two years)

the reason i went back was for one staff member, who made the summer as much fun as it could have been...but now i definitely think (whether or not i do drum corps again) it is time to move on

what bothers me about capital regiment, quite honestly, is the corps director. i've never met a more ill-tempered, rude, or two-faced (those are the only "nice" words i know) man in my entire life, and that is the absolute truth. i do realize though, and am quite sure that it wasn't easy putting a corps together...but i believe administration is what is holding cap reg back.

that's just MY humble opinion though.

drum corps, working hard, all night bus rides, long rehearsal days, bursting every ounce of energy out of me at every performance to end up in a dissapointing 15th place is not what bothers me about capital regiment...i am absolutely proud of what my group has done (for two years)

the reason i went back was for one staff member, who made the summer as much fun as it could have been...but now i definitely think (whether or not i do drum corps again) it is time to move on

what bothers me about capital regiment, quite honestly, is the corps director.  i've never met a more ill-tempered, rude, or two-faced (those are the only "nice" words i know) man in my entire life, and that is the absolute truth.  i do realize though, and am quite sure that it wasn't easy putting a corps together...but i believe administration is what is holding cap reg back. 

that's just MY humble opinion though.

Umm... then The Cadets' staff can get like that, if not worse. But hey they all love it.

Umm... then The Cadets' staff can get like that, if not worse. But hey they all love it.

Judging from your signature you haven't marched Cadets as of yet...why would you say they were worse than "rude" and "two-faced"? And why would you then want to march there, if they are worse than liars and rude?

If the original poster is mentioning these negative traits of his staff, obviously he considers it a legitimate problem, instead of the staff members being simply demanding people. There is a huge difference.

drum corps, working hard, all night bus rides, long rehearsal days, bursting every ounce of energy out of me at every performance to end up in a dissapointing 15th place

Huh ?? shame on you. Through all of your trials and tribulations, the only thing you can say about your season is this ?? The least important aspect of the summer ??

And quite frankly, I would be proud. Your corps, your fellow memebrs should feel proud of the accomplishments this summer, and quite frankly, 15th place aint to shabby in the field that was pretty deep this past summer,..err a week ago.

Go get some sleep and come back refreshed and then tell us.

~G~